PDA

View Full Version : Blue Angels! Woo Hoo!!

highsea
08-05-2004, 11:59 AM
This is Sefair Weekend in Seattle. My boat is right across from Boeing Field, so today is the first of 4 days of Blue Angels! Woohoo!

http://www.photohome.com/pictures/aircraft-pictures/aerobatic/blue-angels-4a.jpg

-CM

PQQLK9
08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I used to watch them every year at Virginia Beach...good show.

dg-in-centralpa
08-05-2004, 02:42 PM
I saw them back in the mid 60's when I was a kid. What a show! Haven't seen them since. They never came back to my area. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DG - love to see them again

highsea
08-05-2004, 03:12 PM
I'll try to get some pics with my digital. They are hard to photograph without a good telephoto, they end up being really tiny in the pictures. They make several low passes right over my boat, close enough so I can see the pilots in the cockpits.

There should be 2 practice shows a day through Saturday, then the real show on Sunday. They are just finishing up the second one for today right now. Looks like the weather is going to stay clear, so we should get the high show too.

Tight Formation

http://www.wtv-zone.com/grandstaff/blueangels/tightformation.jpg

-CM

Cueless Joey
08-05-2004, 03:55 PM
They used to fly by our house in El Toro.
Great show. One of my co-workers taped the whole show one time.
You can get the show on DVD or laserdisk btw.

highsea
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
A few years back we had an AV-8B Harrier as part of the airshow. That was impressive. We were in the pits waiting for the Angels to start, and this Harrier comes screaming down the lake about 100' off the water, heading straight for us. As it approached the crowd, the pilot pitches up the nose, rotates the nozzles down,then pitches the nose back down level and stops dead right in front of the crowd. People just went nuts! It hovered there for a minute, backed up about 50 feet, then did a 360 degree pirouette, stopped for a second, and then spun right 90 degrees, pitched up the nose and rotated the jets back and screamed off across the lake. The whole thing couldn't have lasted more than about 2 minutes, but it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

-CM

eg8r
08-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Harriers are pretty cool to watch. When I was working in Texas we had 2 (just off duty from Afghanistan) fly to the plant where I was working. They are amazing.

eg8r <~~~Cannot wait until the JSF starts showing up at air shows /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-06-2004, 06:17 AM
2 Harriers did at a flyover at the Indy 500 a couple years back. They flew in from the north and stopped and hovered right abaove the start/finish line, then screamed off. Pretty cool.

Back around 1976 we were camping in Eastern OH at a lake in the mountains. We decided it would be a good idea to fire up a big Colombian fatty on our way to the beach one morning. As we walked onto the beach, stoned out of our gourds, 2 National Guard jets came over the hill and buzzed the lake at about 1000 feet. I thought I was going to have a heart attack /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

catscradle
08-06-2004, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> This is Sefair Weekend in Seattle. My boat is right across from Boeing Field, so today is the first of 4 days of Blue Angels! Woohoo!

-CM <hr /></blockquote>

Until the naval air station in our town closed, we got the show every year. Great show, but have you ever tried to get an 11 year old boy to try to concentrate on playing the outfield with jets roaring overhead. Oy vey!!! Also used to screw up traffic in town beyond belief. A great as the show was I don't miss it. Coincidentally, where I worked was right behind an AF base and we got the Thunderbirds over there. Got to see all the practices, but darn on the days of the show they closed the road to my work and I had to take a FREE vacation day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
08-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Yea, we suffer with a little traffic problems too. The I90 bridge gets closed down during the practice sessions and the show, so no one gets back and forth from the east side for a couple hours, but we live with it.

A few years ago, after an airshow crash, the FAA made some new rules regarding crowd clearances, and the Angels got canceled that year. They have to bust a couple rules when they fly here, because they're right next to Sea-Tac's class B, and a 200 kt. speed limit isn't very compatible with their program. That year we got the Snowbirds instead. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Don't get me wrong, I like the Canooks, hey, they're our neighbors. But the Snowbirds are not the Blue Angels. haha. Needless to say, the town made a fuss, Seafair was kind of a bust that year, and now we have the Angels back (hopefully) to stay.

highsea
08-06-2004, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>eg8r &lt;~~~Cannot wait until the JSF starts showing up at air shows /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>I know what you mean, Ed. The Harrier is old and slow, but it is a tough looking AC. The F-35 is going to be in a class by itself, especially the STOVL version. I can't wait either, lol. Get those babies built, buddy!

PQQLK9
08-06-2004, 10:39 AM
I have one show on tape. It was the mid eighties and I was learning how to use my 8mm camcorder. Talk about hand - eye cordination... it makes you dizzy to watch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

highsea
08-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Hahaha. I know what you mean, Nick. I once tried to film some porpoises playing off the bow. The film makes me seasick to watch, and I don't get seasick! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r
08-06-2004, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
especially the STOVL version. I can't wait either, lol. Get those babies built, buddy! <hr /></blockquote> STOVL is most interesting. All the attributes of the other 2 and can lift straight up and come right back down:) This was the only reason why I added it to your discussion of the Harrier.

eg8r