PDA

View Full Version : Local News

wolfdancer
08-05-2004, 12:44 PM
I thought I'd catch you up-to-date, on our local news. Remember "As Woodland goes, so goes the Nation!"

Political item:

"MAN DROPS TRY FOR RIDGEFIELD CITY MANAGER"

"Several months ago, I applied for the City Manager position in Ridgefield with eery confidence that my education and experience would give me an excellent shot at the job. I know when I'm licked by front page stories, television news, Good Morning America, the BBC. I couldn't get that kind of attention if I was engaged to J-Lo and Brittany Spears simultaniously.

How can I compete with a candidate with that smile, that charisma, that dogged determination? I am now switching my career goal to Ass't City Manager. I'm guessing that Otis will need help with some of his duties like reading, writing, and speaking, so I am behind Otis all the way, with a pooper scooper, if needed"....New candidate for Ass't Ridgefield City Mgr. Bob Dingethal

In a related item, Otis for City Manager postcards are now for sale. The "Otis for City Manager" was a lark by a few business owners, that caught on like wildfire, spreading to the British Isles and Germany. People are now making the 3 mi trek off the freeway to catch a glimpse of Otis, the now worldwide famous Boston Terrior.And business has picked up, since these same visitors are spending money locally

Then there is "HONEST JOHN, 7, TURNS IN CASH"

John Ricci Dean Mayo, named after family friend and actor, John Schneider found $40 at the Safeway Market and promptly turned it in to the customer service dep't.

I'll be calling young Mr. Mayo ( Mayo? sounds more like he was named after Richard Gere "An Officer and a Gentleman" ) and explaining to him the concept of "Windfall" After all, Possesion is ....

And finally there was this ad for Big John's Driving School, citing the top 5 reasons why you should pick their school:

5. You will be treated like young adults, not little children. You do not have to raise your hand to use the restroom.

4. You can make up missed classes.

3. Exciting classes filled with stories of real life driving experiences.

2. You are going to learn driving stuff and have fun doing it.

AND #1

WE HAVE BIG JOHN,NIKKI & BOB....and THEY don't.

My imagination runs wild about the real life driving tales...and learning "driving stuff" as opposed to boring safety rules, etc...

You don't suppose Otis would be interested in running for President? Folks say the country is going to the dogs................

The new local poolroom, located in my garage is doing fine...I have a monthly memebrship....now, I need to get a table light, paint the walls, decorate, etc...and put a cable outlet there....but it's been relaxing to just hit some balls to break up the day. Nice thing about a home table...you can play in your underwear, and it doesn't even have to be clean underwear.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ... Nice thing about a home table...you can play in your underwear, ... <hr /></blockquote>

Or naked, though I do not recommend it.

It is also not recommended to do home improvement projects in the nude, as flying bits of shrapnel can become lodged in less than desirable places.

wolfdancer
08-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Wally, thanks for the tip lol!!!
I had the table built with pockets so tight, I had to spray silicone on the balls, so's they could slide in. My table guy, Pat Sheehan has a monthly column in "The Break" newsletter. www.onthebreaknews.com/ (http://www.onthebreaknews.com/) It's a nice freebie out here. How can you go wrong having a table built by a guy whose father drove for Bugs Moran?....and also booked Willie Mosconi's exhibitions...

highsea
08-05-2004, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Nice thing about a home table...you can play in your underwear, and it doesn't even have to be clean underwear.<hr /></blockquote>Had to get rid of the washer to make room for the table, did you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
08-05-2004, 02:34 PM
No, the washer/dryer are upstairs, but my Honda is very annoyed, sitting in the driveway.
Not sure what would happen if a washer hose sprung a leak...do you think my home owner's flood ins. would cover flooding on the second floor? I could tell them the Lewis river overflowed??
I finally checked out the Lewis river G.C. ( your recommendation ) It's unreal!!! What a neat setting, and $25 green fees!!! In the Bay Area, a comparable course would cost $100, give or take $20. I'm not able to play yet; can't handle the weight tranfer to my right foot yet...but I'll be having breakfast on the riverbank patio come sun. ...and I'll get the yearly membership as soon as the foot heals

UWPoolGod
08-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Hey Wolfdancer..do you live in the area? I grew up in Amboy. And you know what is more random about that Big John's driving school ad?....Nikki plays on my Wednesday night pool league team. LOL Too weird.

UWPoolGod
08-05-2004, 04:38 PM
I finally checked out the Lewis river G.C. &lt;-- Wolf

My favorite course. Very challenging and narrow...and what about the 613 yard par 5 on the back...yeah from the whites. My best score there is an 83. Shot an 82 at Cedars on Saturday.

wolfdancer
08-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Hey, Mr. PoolGod..it was you that recommended the Lewis River G.C. to me...I haven't walked the course yet, but the view from the clubhouse is great. hope to get some play in before the monsoon season hits here.
I get the weekly local paper, the Reflector, and enjoy the small town stories.
Tell Nikki that she is now famous..54 pool players across the country, now know her name...
I've also played at The Back Alley, and Pub 181.( again your tip)..gotta kick up my game a few notches to compete there...it was easier in the BCA in Vegas.....

UWPoolGod
08-06-2004, 08:34 AM
Yeah the course is super nice...if you can stay out of the small pine trees. Fairways and greens all the way. They remodeled the clubhouse after a fire in '99 (or so) I believe. And half the course was washed out by the Lewis River in the floods of '96.
Yeah I also read the Reflector...especially the police report..always see someone in there that I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The Back Alley is where I hang out nowadays. If you have played in any tourneys up there when I was there, this is Todd. I usually play Sunday 8ball and Monday 9ball..sometimes Tuesday 8ball. But yeah the Back Alley has the toughest tourneys in town, most of the best bar players in Vancouver play in it as well as good players from Portland come over. Tough one. I play in the new ACS league out of Oscars Wednesday night 9ball, and people want me to join a new BCA league starting up this Sunday out of Oscars. Too much pool...did that just come out of my mouth?

AndreaWilson
08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> ........and people want me to join a new BCA league starting up this Sunday out of Oscars. Too much pool...did that just come out of my mouth? <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif "Too much pool"? SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!