PDA

View Full Version : do pros pool players have real jobs!

justbrake
08-05-2004, 06:52 PM
allison fisher,karen corr,earl strictland, do any of them have real jobs!etc. I'm always hearing that they pratice so many hours a day so if thats true what jobs do they keep ,I know tony robles teaches some pool for 60.00 an hour, but that can't be a living.

woody_968
08-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Pool is their jobs, other than those lucky enough to actually get paid for endorsments.

Jimmy B
08-06-2004, 12:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> allison fisher,karen corr,earl strictland, do any of them have real jobs!etc. I'm always hearing that they pratice so many hours a day so if thats true what jobs do they keep ,I know tony robles teaches some pool for 60.00 an hour, but that can't be a living. <hr /></blockquote>

Some would say it is a job, but anyone who knows pool and follows the tournament trail would tell you it's not much of a job. Other then the top 10-15 players in the world (counting top the 4 women) you would make more money working at McDonalds. There is no money in pool and unless you have another income or a rich wife/GF you are in for a long road. One thing people never talk about is that these people spend many long days and sleepless nights in smoke filled pool rooms and either going without or eating bad foods and they have no health plan. Not only do these people need to pay bills but they need to make more money then a normal person because they don't have insurance or 401K plans. For the most part they are self-employed and need to think of the future and with the money involved there is no chance for them.

JB

justbrake
08-06-2004, 03:16 AM
jimmy, thats my point I would say maybe the top 4 women players make some money but with these small cash awards 15,000 25,000 the most(they should get alot more (imo) only the best will get it your not going to see- jennifer barrett,kim young,and the ones below there calibur get any money,even tony robles after his big win he picks up a check but what happens to all the others that played and don't win,they have to travel,hotels, food,etc.I was watching a match on tv (i forgot with who) but they said that his girlfriend and him put eveything on hold for know and that she'll support him until he makes it big in his pool carear!some of these players have to come from some wealth in there family or have a good job some where.

Thanks-Steven

onepocketfanatic
08-06-2004, 03:39 AM
I completely agree with the previous posts. There are very few full time pro players that make much money. It is for the most part a very hard life. There are two pro's that frequent the establishment where I play pool (I won't mention their names, but both are very well known), and neither usually has much money. For the most part they have "backers" that supply cash for them to gamble with, and take a cut of the winnings (that is if they win). I think for the time being I will keep my day job, and just be an average to above average one pocket player who loves the game, but does not have to win to pay the bills.

piglit
08-06-2004, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't feel too sad for these 2nd tier players who don't make 20k a year. Its a tough living, but it is playing...

-piga

pooltchr
08-06-2004, 06:32 AM
The winnings these players get are hardly enough to consider it "making a living". Many of the top players have sponsorship deals that help cover expenses. Some do exhibitions, some teach pool, some even own pool rooms. None of them are getting rich, but they are doing something they love, and that means quite a bit.
Allison holds 6 or 8 classes a year with Helena. I think the classes are limited to 8 players each, and the cost is $1500 for the weekend. That would help pay some bills, but that is really the exception, not the rule.
Pool is not the way to make a living. Maybe it will be one day, but I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

Chris Cass
08-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Hi Justbrake,

I agree with you and Jimmy on the fact about not making it or tough making it. These players know that and it's nothing new to them or anyone that's followed pool more than the average rec player that doesn't have the clue about the industry.

It is a job for the most part to these players that do this for a living and don't have jobs. They put in many hrs sitting and waiting for action to make anything. The ones fortunate to have help from a loved one or old money from a family inheritance are ok to an extent.

It does feel like a job to the others though. Just like the poker player trying to make it in that game. They might spend half the night waiting for a good hand. Sometimes just waiting to get in the game off the wait list.

Tough love for sure but I know it has to feel like a job to them. I did it for a yr when we moved out here to corn country and that was small time. I had all my doe tied up in the house, a new baby and nobody hiring for the money I needed to cover our expenses. Small tourneys would pay for diapers and food. The weekends is what I waited for and yes, there's many backers but your almost under their whims.

The ones I do know that make it as amatures without working also have other avenues to do this. Just to play.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Hi Pooltchr,

The ones I know that want to work and try to make it on the amature side, set up tables at tourneys, or take on small jobs that require short term money making. Maybe work a few booths at these tourneys. The ones that don't want to have anything to do with the word work. These are the ones that make it through gambling in other things and sometimes illegal activities. These guys are the omes that are living on the edge. Still not making it but rather, getting by with other outside help. Reletives, friends, goupies, stuff like that.

Most on the amature side than the pro side. Getting labeled pro is worse. These guys I tip my hat for. The pros who are trying like Larry Nevel put it all out there. This I have a great deal of respect for. Their not allowed to enter the small events to make money quick.

The amatures out there trying to make it try to stay in the $2500. added tourneys where first might pay $1000. to $2000. for first and with the cal even if they come close it's under the radar.I won't mention who but a good friend of mine told me he made 50K last yr and I believe him too. I just don't believe he cleared anything near it with the expenses to cover this.

I do however don't question it as I don't require proof. His word is good enough for me as I'm not there to pay his rent and don't pay his bills. I do know he does some cue repair but also he does sell high dollar cues too. I assumme he's talking about the whole kit and kabuttle.

Regards,

C.C.

Eric.
08-06-2004, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> I know tony robles teaches some pool for 60.00 an hour, but that can't be a living. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, it is a living. Tony is one ofthe most sought after teachers in the NY metro area. His dance card is always filled and he rarely has any "downtime".

Eric

Scott Lee
08-06-2004, 04:49 PM
I'd agree with the majority of these posts. Other than a very small handful of men &amp; women pro tournament players, the only pro poolplayers making any kind of living are us exhibition/trick shot artists. Mike Massey, Tom Rossman, Sarge, myself, Chef Anton, and a couple of others are doing quite nicely, thank you! Of course most of us spend the majority of our time "on the road", and have little home life. That is our choice, and one that we make for the love of the game. You're definitely right about the 401K and insurance...you have to make it work for yourself!

Scott Lee

recoveryjones
08-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Only three pool players have made over $30,000 this year.

http://www.azbilliards.com/thepros/2000thepros.cfm

The three are Reyes, Archer and Corey Deule.If you factor in traveling expenses and hotels, entry fees etc, it's a lot less.There is no money in pool. Some players receive money from cue companies and charge big money for lessons, but most are pretty broke.

Unfortunatley in order to be amongst the best in pool, a day job just gets in the way.RJ

sliprock
08-11-2004, 05:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr> Only three pool players have made over $30,000 this year.<hr /></blockquote>

Look where they would be if it weren't for the Derby City ring game. I think that Corey got the intire $30,000 (minus savors)for his win because all the entries were paid by sponsers. In the second game the players were staked by individuals or "corporations" of people. I think that Grady had a requirement that if you stake a player, 50% of winnings must go to the player. In this case Archer only made $15,000, Unless he staked himself.

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Good for Grady. He's looking out for the players so they don't get totally skinned.

Regards,

C.C.

Nostroke
08-11-2004, 01:19 PM
It has often been said that Steve Mizerak was the only consistent champion to have a "real job" (teacher) and even at that, they do get quite a bit of time off.