PDA

View Full Version : contacts vs glasses

pooldaddy9
08-05-2004, 07:23 PM
I'm wearing contacts for the first time and it is so hard to adjust. They say it takes about a week to adjust. I do OK looking around and reading but I'm having trouble trying to play pool.Any suggestions? thanks

Rod
08-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Do you normally wear glasses? For me it is a blessing over glasses. I have pool glasses but definately rather play with contacts. I feel traped and distracted behind those glasses. My regular glasses are just readers.

I'm sure it's just getting use to something different in either case. Most adjust some don't. The only thing I don't like about contacts is keeping them wet. It's not a big problem but a small problem all the same. Now it's normal to give the eyes a squirt once in a while. Not much help, huh?

Rod

PoOn
08-05-2004, 08:29 PM
i think i play better with contacts than with glasses... when i go down into the shot the glasses dont help me see anything so everything is blury... once you get used to them they dont even feel like your wearing any... the things i hate about contacts are the you have to keep them moist, sometimes they try to go in back of your eye, it hurts more when things fly in your eye, and you could only wear them for up to 12 hours. the things i hate about glasses are that you have to keep them clean, they get scratched up and that makes it harder for you to see, you have to wear them on your face which is less confortable than wearing contacts to me, and they just get in the way a lot... so i would say just stick with the contacts until you get used to them... i always wondered why Karen Corr never wore them... (my sister calls her harry potter because her glasses) /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

onepocketfanatic
08-05-2004, 11:20 PM
I have a couple of friends that wear contacts and they say it is the next best thing to not needing glasses. The did say however that it did take a couple of weeks to get used to them. They have problems when the room becomes smoky since this tends to dry their eyes out, which makes it very difficult to wear the contacts. I would give the contacts some time, and be sure and keep the eye drops handy (this is what my friends do). I would try the contacts myself, but my eye man told me I would not see objects (like pool balls) as clearly as with my glasses since I have to wear bi-focals (they make bi-focal contacts,but they do not allow the wearer to see as clearly as glasses according to the eye doctor). Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Chris Cass
08-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Recheck the prescription Duaine. With the game you have it's worth checking into. I couldn't believe the thinkness of the lenses you had when we met. I still can't believe you didn't miss a ball when I watched you. Your a great shot.

Regards,

C.C.

landshark77
08-05-2004, 11:25 PM
I also prefer contacts over glasses in general. I also prefer the contacts for pool. Your peripheral vision (along with the vision above and below your rims) is not affected. There is nothing that sucks worse (when wearing glasses and playing pool) then when you're lined up and realizing you have to re-adjust your body because you can not see the ball clearly because the way that you are lined up you have to look above your rims to see the ball. It becomes less natural, IMO. I guess that's why Karen's glasses are those big rimmed ones..lol.

I can not help you adjust...I refused to wear my glasses before I got my contacts...the world is so much clearer now! It's been a good many years, but I think I adjusted rather quickly. I also have soft lenses, which if you are wearing the other kind, could be a big difference comfort wise.

Rod
08-06-2004, 12:22 AM
Your post got me to thinking. I wear readers to see better up close. I also have a prescption pair of tri-focals for small print or close up work. What I knew but never really thought much about was the c/b isn't clear. That is the reason but I can't wear those things to play pool. Mine are just single vision.

After you mentioned such I'm thinking possibly a pair of bifocal contacts to play pool. I know what your doc said but if the c/b was reasonably clear it would be an improvment, for me at least.

As it stands the o/b is clear and the c/b is somewhat of a blur. I can't see the tip clear either so it's an educated guess exactly where the tip is at address. I'm sure I play from knowledge rather than pin point accuracy. So I'm aiming a fuzzy object at a clear object.

Since I'll never play with bifocal glasses, I might give contacts a shot. Question is, I wonder if you lower and raise your head for every shot like bifocal glasses? If so then I'll have to pass cause thats not my nature. I tried a pair of progressive trifocal general use glasses but I could not adjust. I gave them 2 months and I couldn't stand doing anything when I have to move my head. With non progressive I just move my eyes. Anybody have thoughts on this? Or do you wear bifocal contacts?

My game has always been not to move my head once basic alignment is set. Use your eyes to go back and forth. It's an old but good habit so breaking it, I doubt is possible.

Rod

BeanDiesel
08-06-2004, 02:34 AM
i'm a new user too. i start wearing contacts last week. the only thing i dont like about it is that it makes my eyes so dry. maybe that's because i'm still not used to it. if u have the same problem, get urself some eyedrops for contacts.

buddha162
08-06-2004, 04:08 AM
Contacts over glasses. If I had to play with glasses I might as well be blind.

But for everyone with dry contacts, take my advice and give this a try: fill your eyedropper with saline solution (sensitive eye formula is best), and quit using "rewetting drops." Saline feels a lot better, is completely safe, won't cause any irratation, and they're cheaper as well. You can use them as often as you like with no ill effects.

-Roger

dmgwalsh
08-06-2004, 04:15 AM
I just ordered some of those Decot Hywyd glasses a few days ago. My scrip had changed a little in the last three years, too. I hope I went in the right direction, glasses over contacts.

Eric.
08-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Hi P-daddy,

How well you adjust depends on your personal eye problems. If you have severe astigmatism, need bi-focals or have dry eyes, it might be harder to use contacts. On the other hand, if you can use them, they're definitely an improvement over glasses. It's worth the pain to get used to contacts.

I wear glasses. For whatever reason, I don't use contacts. I'm sure my game suffers from it and I wonder if I might be a better player if I used contacts(or finally get Lasiks). Good luck.

Eric

rocky
08-06-2004, 09:21 AM
I talked with quite a few people before I got my contacts. From what I was told regular contacts, soft and hard, will produce a halo around the balls. I was told that Toric lenses werre the only ones that didn't. Lucky enough my vision (stigmatism) was bad enough to warrant that type of contact. It made a big difference in my game, esp. my break. Glasses are ok, I shot with them for some time, as long as you dont have some type of bi-focal, or tri-focal.

Big_Jon
08-06-2004, 09:51 AM
A few months ago, my eye guy put me on (i think they are) aspheric lenses, or something to that affect. They are for astigmatism, and (somehow /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) they have two different powers (to adjust for the astigmatism) and are (again, somehow) "weighted" to keep them "aligned" right. They were weird at first, but now, i don't know how i played pool with out them... Dam astigmatism...

Thanks,

Jon

Frank_Glenn
08-06-2004, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> A few months ago, my eye guy put me on (i think they are) aspheric lenses, or something to that affect. They are for astigmatism, and (somehow /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) they have two different powers (to adjust for the astigmatism) and are (again, somehow) "weighted" to keep them "aligned" right. They were weird at first, but now, i don't know how i played pool with out them... Dam astigmatism...

Thanks,

Jon <hr /></blockquote>

Touric lenses?

Big_Jon
08-06-2004, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr>
Touric lenses? <hr /></blockquote>

Des are Dem...

http://jtcues.com/images/other/contact.jpg
Wups, that's upside down... but i don't feel like rotating and re-uploading, so you'll have to stand on your head /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks,

Jon

SnakebyteXX
08-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Five years ago my vision had declined to 20/100 in each eye. I was reaching the point of being blind without my glasses - what a super pain in the patootie that was! I hated being so dependent. It made me feel as if I were handicapped. Then I went in for a half hours worth of Lasik surgery and overnight my vision was restored to 20/20.

Lasik surgery may not be for everyone - but for me it meant: NO MORE GLASSES PERIOD. I felt like I had been reborn!

Five years later I still don't need glasses. Further good news is that the price of this surgery has come way down over time. You can now get it done for as little as $500 per eye - or less. When I had my surgery I paid $2500 per eye and thought then and still do that it was worth every penny.

For those who have to wear glasses or contacts and wish they didn't - Lasik surgery is definitely worth looking into.

Snake

ceebee
08-06-2004, 11:06 AM
The young man around here, that went for Laser surgery, is still potting balls like never before. He has definitely shown improvement in shot making skills, now I can teach him some position.

I've tried contacts &amp; do rather well with them, but I cannot wear the contacts in a smoky environment for any longer than 2 hours. Some of our Ring Games &amp; Tournaments last 6 or 7 hours, so I have to change out to glasses &amp; fade the transition period. NO FUN

I'm a good 7 Speed. I'm not lucky enough to try Laser surgery, so I'm stuck with my glasses.

To the player that purchased the Decot Hy-Wyds.. you need to modify these frames to get a true perspective of the shot.

NOTE: one imperative feature about glasses is this, "Get a prescription for 10 feet, not infinity.

Eric.
08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> It made a big difference in my game, esp. my break. <hr /></blockquote>

Yo Rocky /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm curious what you noticed as the big difference. Is it that you could see the edges better? Or maybe you had a less distorted view of the balls?

Eric

rocky
08-06-2004, 02:56 PM
The tables that I play on are 9 footers and I was having alot of trouble focusing between the cue ball and the head ball. ALot of the times I would loose both of the balls trying to focus back and forth while stroking. ( My break was really suffering because of it, balls flying off of the table, it was ugly) My first brake with my new contacts and the cue ball stopped two inches from where it had hit the head ball, I was stoked! Mine are the same as yours Jon, toric, weighted at the bottom with the cross hairs on them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

dg-in-centralpa
08-06-2004, 03:04 PM
I've been wearing contacts for 20+ odd years. I'd never go back. It will take getting used to, but once you do, you'll wish you had done it sooner.

DG - just my honest opinion

Frank_Glenn
08-06-2004, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Frank_Glenn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> A few months ago, my eye guy put me on (i think they are) aspheric lenses, or something to that affect. They are for astigmatism, and (somehow /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif) they have two different powers (to adjust for the astigmatism) and are (again, somehow) "weighted" to keep them "aligned" right. They were weird at first, but now, i don't know how i played pool with out them... Dam astigmatism...

Thanks,

Jon <hr /></blockquote>

Touric lenses? <hr /></blockquote>
Spelled it wrong, it is Toric. Here's a link: http://www.allaboutvision.com/contacts/torics.htm

I used to wear these FWIW.

onepocketfanatic
08-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I thought about the lasic surgery, but from what I have heard it will not correct the need for glasses to see things up close (I wear bi-focals with progressive lenses). Maybe they have perfected it a little better now...I sure would like to loose the glasses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif