PDA

View Full Version : In need of hints for Divided Ball Aiming

05-10-2002, 05:19 AM
How much would you say that getting use to dividing the object ball is worth while. Does it become the most dependable aiming theory? Using starting points as in half-ball, quater-ball and three quater-ball as starting points to make cut-shot angels, I'm looking for some hints on making adjustments to these starting points,
Thanks,
Bobby

Doctor_D
05-10-2002, 05:43 AM
Good morning:

I use the same principle, and it has proven very beneficial for me. If you wish, and can open documents in MS Publisher and/or as a PDF file, I can E-Mail the sliced Object Ball I created on my computer.

Dr. D.

phil in sofla
05-10-2002, 02:10 PM
As to how strong that aiming system is, based on prior discussions on this board, seems like many swear by it, and many swear AT it, preferring other things, including no system at all, but instead recognizing the angle by rote memory and aiming primarily by feel.

I'd say that even if one doesn't want to use that system exclusively, the 1/2 ball aim line comes up so often and is so useful that one should definitely learn and use that.

As to fine tuning that kind of system if you elect to use it, the question is WHAT are you aiming TO that part of the object ball? CJ Wiley advocates using either the center of the cue ball to that line on the object ball, or the edge of the cue ball to that line, and claims by using those two reference points on the cue ball, and the couple of fractional ball lines on the OB, any cut can be made.

Personally, I aim the equivalent contact point of the cue ball directly at the fraction of the OB where the contact point is.

Cuemage
05-11-2002, 06:25 PM
I use "tips" to aim.

1/2 ball hit = the tip splits the edge of the OB when aiming

1 tip inside
2 tips inside
1 tip outside
2 tips outside
extreme cut
straight
slight variations of straight

I aim probably all shots by one of these aiming points, and then adjust if English is used.

Tha Cuemage

05-14-2002, 12:28 PM
I would suggest you use the "Ghost Ball" approach. At least you will start seeing angles and later you will not need any aiming system. The problem with the "half ball,etc" approach is the amount of "feel" required. Using spin to correct the aiming point will depend on the cloth and will not be consistant. The Miz says in his book: "Shoot some balls into the left pockets and then the right side pockets. Soon you will get the idea of howto aim".