PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Pockets?

jdlenner
08-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I have been playing on a new Brunswick Medalist that I bought for my home over a month ago.

One thing is that the pockets seem tight to me. I am not very good but shots that go in at the local pool hall don't drop on the medalist. They rattle around in the jaws.

I noticed that the plastic pockets at the pool hall are trimmed (or either fit perfectly) so that the edge of the pocket stops at, and is parallel with the edge of the cushion.

On my table, the pockets overhang where the cushion meets the table by as much as 1/2" - in the corners, they come out to within about 1/4" of the slate in some places. Is this normal or should the pockets have been trimmed to stop where the cushion and the table meet?

ALso, I noticed that the corner pockets go from 2 balls width to 2 balls width plus about 1/4". Would these be considered "tight"?

BTW: I remember someone asking about how the Centennial cloth played. It is pretty good as far as I can tell. After playing on it for a while, I went to a local pool hall that has Simonis 860 and I didn't notice and big differences. ie. I wasn't overhitting or underhitting the balls at the pool hall. The Simonis cloth was worn however so I imagine that makes a difference.

Rod
08-05-2004, 09:16 PM
The pockets should fit flush behind the cushion. I'm sure very much like at your pool room. There should be either recessed screws or tacks that hold the pockets in place. Could be your pockets are not cut right, hard to tell without seeing the table.

Who installed this new table? Have them make it right.

Rod

jdlenner
08-05-2004, 09:25 PM
HI Rod,

The corner pockets have screws but the side pockets don't haven anything holding them in. Sometimes the side pockets "twist" a litte when a ball hits them hard and I have to twist them (1/4" or less) to put them straight again. I can't imagine that this is the way it was meant to be.

I don't have any experience with this but it looks to me that perhaps Brunswick may use the same pockets for different models of tables and expects the installer to trim them to fit the particular model to which they are being installed.

Do you know if that is the case with Brunswick tables?

Barbara
08-05-2004, 09:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr>
ALso, I noticed that the corner pockets go from 2 balls width to 2 balls width plus about 1/4". Would these be considered "tight"? <hr /></blockquote>

JD,

You're going to have to put up some pics because I can't picture what you're describing.

However, when you say hat you can only fit two balls to two balls with a 1/4" gap between the corner pockets. I would have to say that this table has been shimmed, and not consistently. If the table is worth it, have a reputable mechanic check the rails and see what he can do if there's a problem because it's only going to annoy the heck out of you until you do.

Barbara

onepocketfanatic
08-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Our league plays on this table, and they are very nice. The plastic sides of the pockets should be flush, or very slightly recessed with the "jaws" of the pocket. The jaws of the pockets should all be the same width (of course they have to be measured at the same spot in the pocket).With regard to "normal" pocket width, different manufacturers have different sized pockets. The pool hall I frequent has an AMF table that has buckets, while the Gold Crown next to it has smaller pockets(the pockets are not shimmmed), the tables just have different sized pockets. If you are not satisfied with the pockets, I would contact the company you bought the table from and have them send out a technician to make sure everything has been put together properly. Good luck.

Chris Cass
08-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Box cutter works well for that stuff. It should be flush and isn't that hard to do yourself. Why wait for ever for someone to come out? The side p[ockets I'd look into for sure. Sounds like they forgot to brad nail them in.

Regards,

C.C.

jdlenner
08-06-2004, 01:59 AM
Hi Barbara,

I will see if I can get a picture. My camera is not working correctly right now.

I guess I wasn't clear. All the corner pockets are the same size. What I meant was that at the very front of the corner pockets from one tip of the rail to the other tip, the width betweem the rail tips is 2 balls + 1/4" and towards the back of the pocket "channel" (I don't know the proper name) that is made by the cushions going into the corner pocket it narrows to 2 balls width. Is that any better? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The tables at the local pool hall are 2 balls + 1/2" at the front. The good thing is that when I went there to play the other night, the pockets seemed HUGE! I played WAY better than I'd ever played before.

jdlenner
08-06-2004, 02:38 AM
As I said in the last post, I was a little unclear. The pockets are the same size and the table is nice. I do think that they should have trimmed the plastic off the pockets to be flush with where the rail meets the table and not overlapping it however.

I had a brainstorm!! I used a ruler (duh) and then went to the BCA and WPA web sites.

The mouth of my corner pockets is 4 7/8". BCA says that they should be from 4 7/8" minimum to 5 1/8" Maximum. - I am ok there.

WPA states that they should be between 4.5" and 4.625". So I guess by WPA standards, my pockets are actually a little bit too wide!

That makes me wonder: Does anyone know if the Brunswick Tables at the WPA World Championships this year really had pocket mouths as narrow as the WPA states in its rules. I seem recall someone (Earl?) complaining about how big the pockets were not how small. I also looked at the tables close up and the pockets sure did not look smaller than the ones on my table.

jdlenner
08-06-2004, 02:43 AM
Chris,

I may give the box cutter a try. I live in Thailand and the Brunswick dealer who installed the table is in Malaysia.

Needless to say, It'll be a long wait until they are here again installing another table. I am sure they would do it but I doubt they are going to fly someone to Bangkok jsut for that. - Although for the amount of money I paid to import and install it, they probably should!!

onepocketfanatic
08-06-2004, 03:29 AM
I go to Las Vegas every year for the BCA open 8 ball tourney for teams. Both the men and women pro's play at this time in the Riviera Hotel. I am not sure about the Championship you questioned, but this past year the tables were "very fogiving" compared to years past. Some shots that were pocketed would have never gone had they been playing in the pool hall I frequent. They were hitting the long rail half way between the side pocket and the corner pocket, and the balls were going into the pocket!
It sounds as if you have a very nice table. That is one thing that is great about playing on a table with smaller pockets, and then getting on a table with larger ones. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I personally play on a 9' that is double shimmed which makes it almost impossible to pocket a ball unless you hit the back of the pocket. Two balls side by side will go about half way between the points at the mouth of the pocket and the actual pocket before they jam up. Practice on the smaller pockets, go the to pool hall...play with larger pockets...and kick some serious tail. Good luck with your table.

RichardCranium
08-06-2004, 07:03 AM
I will bet your comparing your medalist to a Gold Crown. The pocket width is the same, but the Medalist table has "deep" pockets compaired to a gold crown. The Medalist is like the Diamond tables. If you go from playing on one of these tables to playing on a Gold Crown you will notice the difference. The Pockets on the Gold Crown seem "shallow"

This makes the pockets on the Gold Crown feel like buckets.

My opinion is to by the Diamond.......get your other Diamond back...and get a new wife........JK /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Eric.
08-06-2004, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jdlenner:</font><hr>
One thing is that the pockets seem tight to me. I am not very good but shots that go in at the local pool hall don't drop on the medalist. They rattle around in the jaws.

<font color="blue">Sounds like the pockets on your new table are tighter. Do you pocket balls cleanly(OB doesn't brush the side rail if you are shooting into a corner pocket)? On looser tables or tables with little or no corner pocket shelf, you can "bank" a ball into the corners. </font color>

I noticed that the plastic pockets at the pool hall are trimmed (or either fit perfectly) so that the edge of the pocket stops at, and is parallel with the edge of the cushion.

On my table, the pockets overhang where the cushion meets the table by as much as 1/2" - in the corners, they come out to within about 1/4" of the slate in some places. Is this normal or should the pockets have been trimmed to stop where the cushion and the table meet?

ALso, I noticed that the corner pockets go from 2 balls width to 2 balls width plus about 1/4". Would these be considered "tight"?

<font color="blue">Not really. On a Medalist, I think that would be the about a single shim corner. You can check the shims by feeling the end of the rail with your finger tips. Each shim is 1/8" or 3 mm and usually they are installed 2 at a time so each set of shims will reduce your pocket size by 1/4". </font color>

BTW: I remember someone asking about how the Centennial cloth played. It is pretty good as far as I can tell. After playing on it for a while, I went to a local pool hall that has Simonis 860 and I didn't notice and big differences. ie. I wasn't overhitting or underhitting the balls at the pool hall. The Simonis cloth was worn however so I imagine that makes a difference. <hr /></blockquote>

Hope this helps some.

Eric

#### leonard
08-06-2004, 09:11 AM
Where have you been Richard?####

wolfdancer
08-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Post deleted by wolfdancer

wolfdancer
08-06-2004, 09:43 AM
If that is a Brunswick table...there should be two allen head screws to hold the insert in place

Frank_Glenn
08-06-2004, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Re: pocket size...normal would be 4.5" for the corner pockets, and 5.5" for the sides. Since the balls are 2 1/8" in diameter...two balls would fit in easily into the corner pocet opening, with a 1/4" to spare.<hr /></blockquote>

Regulation balls are 2 1/4" so 4 1/2" pockets lock up 2 balls in the pocket. This is considered tight (double shimmed) around here. Different tables have different sizes. Long rubber with only one shim per side is best, but not always available.

wolfdancer
08-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Frank, you're right about the ball size...got a little mixed up on my dimensions...another "senior moment"

Rod
08-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Pockets should never move or twist. There not held down properly. Have whoever installed it or someone qualified make it right. Is this the table the installer was in town or your area for the weekend? Can you call them and sort it out over the phone?

I have no clue what BW does now but obviously it's not right. Either by mfg or by installer.

Rod

jdlenner
08-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi,

There are two allen screws for the corner pockets but no screws for the side pockets.

I did use the box cutter suggestion and trimmed the pockets. They are much better now.

jdlenner
08-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Would shims come direcly from Brunswick?

I received the table in boxes from the factory. They came and intstalled what was sent. They did not add anything to the rails. I watched them.