PDA

View Full Version : 9' pool tables

onepocketfanatic
08-05-2004, 11:45 PM
I am currently in the process of selling my house, and am buying one that has a game room large enough for a 9' table. I have been doing a lot of research on tables, how they are constructed, and what to look for in a "quality table". Of course there are the "Brunswicks", and the other well know table manufacturers around, but quite frankly they are very "proud" of their tables with respect to pricing.
I have also been looking on E-Bay as well as the local paper, but used 9' tables are not that easy to find so I am afraid I may be looking at buying a new one. I wanted to buy a Diamond table, but the wife says "OOOO that is UGLY! I want a piece of furniture". /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I have been looking on the net at tables and ran across the brand "Proline". Has anyone had any exposure to this brand of table, and if so has it been positive or negative? They seem to be well built, and the prices do not seem to be too far out of line (the two I would consider would be about $3,200 with Simonas cloth). Thanks for any help or suggestions you might want to give.

Perk
08-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Well, if you are in the process of buying a house, you have time to find a good deal on a table. In the past year alone, I have had 2 opportunities to purchase an older 9' Brunswick, but I currently only have room for my 7'.

My suggestion is to be patient, get the word out that you are looking for a used table. Check newspapers', let your local poolhall know, etc. Might save you a bunch of money, and you might please the wife as well with a 'furniture' piece......of course, I would talk her into the 'investment' of a Diamond..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheesemouse
08-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Onepocketfanatic,

[ QUOTE ]
"OOOO that is UGLY! I want a piece of furniture". <hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes you just gotta put your footdown... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...get the Diamond, they become more beautiful with age...Hey, I thought you were a fanatic?... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Easy for me to say, I've been a bachelor all my life...LOL

wolfdancer
08-06-2004, 09:57 AM
For $3200, you should be able to find a decent table. I had mine built by a local craftsman...been in the biz for 56 years....but I was originall looking for a used G.C.II
They play great, and it's the easist table to take apart, or assemble, or recover/repair...it's the Model "T" of tables. There's plenty of tables out there that look good, but don't "play" good.
remember that old tuna commercial, with Charlie, the tuna?
"We don't want tunas that just look good...."
I'd also stay away from the imports from China...the table mechanics are charging an arm and a leg to set them up.

Frank_Glenn
08-06-2004, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> For $3200, you should be able to find a decent table. I had mine built by a local craftsman...been in the biz for 56 years....but I was originall looking for a used G.C.II
They play great, and it's the easist table to take apart, or assemble, or recover/repair...it's the Model "T" of tables. There's plenty of tables out there that look good, but don't "play" good.
remember that old tuna commercial, with Charlie, the tuna?
"We don't want tunas that just look good...."
I'd also stay away from the imports from China...the table mechanics are charging an arm and a leg to set them up.
<hr /></blockquote>

I just sold my GC II with the light, balls, etc. for $2500. It was completely rebuilt when I got it 5 years ago. I had about $3000 in it, so I feel I got a good return on it. You can find them in poor repair for around $1000, sometimes less. A little TLC will bring them back to like new. That's what we did with mine. New rubber, stripped and painted the legs and aprons, built the light, etc. I had most of this done so that's why it cost so much. If I had done it all myself I could have saved about 1/3 I think. Time is money, and I didn't have the time or space to do it myself then. Now I'm retired and have lots of time. BTW, we are moving from Va. to Fl. so I can't take it with me to the condo. It was a painful thing to let it go, but...

T_squared
08-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Be patient &amp; keep looking. You're armed with construction knowledge, brands, prices, and reputations. So when something good pops up, you'll be ready. Let the house deal close, get moved, and make the improvements that most folks make to a new home. Don't settle for an unknown that will be your training partner and socializing center for many years.

Do any of your nearby pool halls sell cues &amp; accessories ? So they have a resale license. It's possible they also have table catalogs under the counter. If you are a 'regular', discuss it with the manager or owner.

I got a nice deal on a Murray Pro 6400 (seen in Color Of Money) by working with the owner of Don-Q Billiards. We drove down together to the factory in L.A., and brought it back in my 3/4 ton van (the fender wells were almost hitting the tires with the weight). He was very experienced at table setup and re-covering. He used me as his assistant which was a terrific experience, and I never told him I still would have done the work even without the additional price break!!

Funny thing though.....about a month later, somebody was liquidating a closed business, and there were a bunch of 9' Gold Crowns offered for $1500 ea. So if you figure another $600 or $700 for the take-down, move, setup, recloth, you end up with a nearly-new top-of-the-line table for less than $2500.

It seems like you've got time.....support the local pool halls and keep them eyes peeled.

SnakebyteXX
08-07-2004, 08:31 AM
I completely sympathize with you because I just went through the process that you're describing. Here's what I discovered. The ideal 'perfect' nine foot table is the one that's affordable, looks great in your home - plays great &amp; won't fall apart over time - and when (if) the time ever comes to sell it you can get out from under it without losing your shirt.

Here's the reality of those ideals:

1. Affordable: Of course your budget will determine what affordable means to you. First off with the exception of a Diamond table (comes very highly recommended by MANY people who know what a great table they are), I generally don't consider buying a brand new table at retail prices from your local billiards parlor to be the best way to go. Mainly because the markup on new tables is so very high that once you own it - it may end up losing half its resale value almost overnight. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that I could get a lot more bang for my buck by buying used - and still come away with a great looking table to boot.

I discovered in my search was that a pool table was an easy thing to buy and a hard thing to sell. Meaning that if you're willing to buy a used table it's a buyers market. Pool tables can go from being a favorite source of home entertainment to being a white elephant in a heartbeat. When that time comes - for whatever reason (moving? freeing up room space? tired of the old elephant?) the table becomes a burden to its owner and because they are so fricking big and heavy and because most people who might be in the market for a table don't have a clue as to how to have them taken apart and transported and then installed in their home even if they wanted to buy one so they lean towards buying new instead and let the local billiards guys do the hard stuff - the market of potential used pool table buyers is very limited. That's why if you know what to look for there are some screaming great deals to be had out there.

2. Looks great -

There's an entire industry of pool table manufacturers that cater to the 'looks great' need. They're typically referred to as 'furniture style' tables. The problem with this sector is NOT that if you try hard enough you can't find a good looking table that also plays well but that there are a TON of good looking tables that don't play well at all - another ton that look good and don't cost very much (Asian built) that are poorly built and full of potential problems (warping wood - poorly supported slate etc.) and another ton that look good and play well cost a lot but carry a model/brand name that no one will recognize or value very highly when it comes time for you to sell it. If you put too much weight on the 'looks great' part of the equation you could end up being very unhappy. Read this: be careful not to let your wife's need for a pretty table have undue influence on the buying process especially if she knows little or nothing about playability, durability and resale value.

3. Plays great, high resale value, durable –

Here’s where if you’ve decided to buy a good used table a lot of time spent visiting pool related forums on the Net can pay off (rec.sport.billiard is an excellent resource!). There you will find good advice from many people who KNOW up from down when it comes to good, durable playing tables that hold their resale value. I learned that older Brunswick Gold Crown’s (GC I ‘s and II’s) have a great reputation for quality, playability (but that the GC III’s sucked) and resale value but that because they were originally sold commercially mainly to pool hall owners they can be very hard to find. They’re also not the ‘prettiest’ table because they were built for commercial use. I also learned that if you looked HARD enough – you can find them for prices ranging from $1000 to $2000 depending on condition. Other top older Brunswick’s with great playability and high resale value: the Brunswick Anniversary (1940’s through 1950’s) model (preceded the Gold Crown) and the Brunswick Centennial (preceded the Anniversary – mid 1940’s). Built like tanks they are also considered great tables and they are beautiful to boot. There are also great old Olhausen’s out there as well as other brands but if you do your homework you will discover which of those brands have the best reputations.

In the end buying a pool table is one of those decisions where the time you spend thinking things through and figuring out exactly what you want will be time well spent. It’s a HUGE thing that you’re going to be putting into your home take the time to pick the right one and you won’t ever be sorry that you did.

Snake