PDA

View Full Version : Table Lights

wolfdancer
08-06-2004, 12:48 AM
Any suggestions for a light fixture, for my 9 ft. table? The online prices for table lights seem too high...more then I want to pay...thanks, in advance

onepocketfanatic
08-06-2004, 03:58 AM
I had a 9' table a few years ago (before I got married and moved into a house that did not have enough room for the table) and I bought 2 white shop lights at Sears I believe(florescent). I went to the local hardware store and bought some brass chain,painted the outside of the lights green, and hung the lights over the table. I installed a plug where the normal light fixture was in the ceiling, and plugged the lights into it.
It really did not look bad, and the lighting was more than adequate for the table. Mind you, I looked for some lights that looked like they were decent quality (not the real cheapies) You can get the lighting in either 2 or 4 bulbs. I think in all I spent about $40-60 U.S.
A friend of mine hung 3 individual lights (they had round metal shades that looked like brass and were the type of lights that might normally be hung over a breakfast table) over his table. He suspened each light from the ceiling and it looked great. I don't know how much he spent, but it was probably not much more than I did. He put some of those florescent lights in them like you would screw into a regular lamp and his table was actually better lit than mine.
I understand your pain....I also was very hesitant to spend between $300-800 for lighting, and since you can't use a "standard" pool table light on a 9' table it does make it some what of a pain if you are trying to stick to a reasonable budget. I hope this helps, and good luck with your lighting project.

pooltchr
08-06-2004, 06:14 AM
I went to Home Depot. Found a flourescent box type fixture that is designed to be mounted flush to the ceiling. The finish was oak and matched my table. I suspended it from the ceiling with brass chains. It looks a lot like the Diamond lights, and cost me about $100 total.

RichardCranium
08-06-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I went to Home Depot. Found a flourescent box type fixture that is designed to be mounted flush to the ceiling. The finish was oak and matched my table. I suspended it from the ceiling with brass chains. It looks a lot like the Diamond lights, and cost me about $100 total. <hr /></blockquote>

I did the exact same thing (only white box).....I took out the stock plastic filter and got a honycomb filter so that the light is more directed at the table.....about $8.00 for the filter....It works great.......

When I go to rooms that don't have flourescent lights, I have to spend some time getting re-adjusted.. It is amazing how yellow non flourescent lights are....

Paul_Mon
08-06-2004, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Any suggestions for a light fixture, for my 9 ft. table? The online prices for table lights seem too high...more then I want to pay...thanks, in advance <hr /></blockquote>

On my 9' table I have three of the dual bulb 4' fixtures running parallel with the end rail. One is in the center and the other two are about 1 1/2 diamonds from each end rail. I use the 40 watt daylight bulbs, no shadows at all. They don't look as nice as the Diamond lights or other custom lamps but functionally it is perfect.

best regards-----------Paul Mon

wolfdancer
08-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...I've been to three Home Depots...but never looked at the flush-mounted fixtures. Any problems suspending them? Where did you attach the chains?
Is this a 4 bulb fixture?

RichardCranium
08-06-2004, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Thanks for the suggestion...I've been to three Home Depots...but never looked at the flush-mounted fixtures. Any problems suspending them? Where did you attach the chains?
Is this a 4 bulb fixture? <hr /></blockquote>

yes 4 bulb (two ballasts..sp?). No problem at all on the suspension. In the same section where they sell the lights they will have chain and hooks etc. Whatever you can dream up... Just put two hooks or rings in the ceiling (one for each end of the light) then get 4 chains the same length and run them to each corner. Look at the light to be sure, but there should already be holes in the corners to attach hooks. I wired mine right in to where the cieling fan would go and bought a blank cover for the hole in the ceiling.

When I get home I will try and figure out how to attach a digital picture...
(anybody know how to attach a digital pic???)

wolfdancer
08-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Richard thanks for your ideas...I didn't know that the fixtures designed for a ceiling mount, would have chain holes in them.
I'm off to "Toys R Us, fer guys", or H.D.

Cueless Joey
08-06-2004, 09:19 AM
I too went the Home Depot way. Flush mount type light fixture with 4 3-foot flourescents. I bought the brightest ones ( I believe they are 60 watters).
WolfD, uploading pics here is not possible. Post the pic at mypicgallery.com, then link up picture from there ( right click your picture, properties would show the link/url.

Frank_Glenn
08-06-2004, 09:20 AM
I built my own. I used 1X6 lumber, some crown molding, 2 T-10 8' fixtures with 4 4 foot bulbs each (total of 8 T-10 bulbs) and chrome egg crate held in with 1/4 round. Total cost was less than $200. I stained it a dark walnut.
http://frankglenn.com///light.JPG

onepocketfanatic
08-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Nice light Frank!!

SnakebyteXX
08-07-2004, 10:44 AM
This may be one of those questions with no good answer but... How important is it to hang the florescent lights above the table by chains as opposed to a flush mount on the ceiling? Is the loss of light from a ceiling mounted setup really that great if you use enough tubes (like four eight footers or eight four footers) with high enough wattage? A streamlined flush mount on the ceiling wouldn't look nearly as traditional but it would sure solve the problem of ugly chains and a light that might be hanging in the way of shooting.

SPetty
08-08-2004, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>How important is it to hang the florescent lights above the table by chains as opposed to a flush mount on the ceiling? ... A streamlined flush mount on the ceiling wouldn't look nearly as traditional but it would sure solve the problem of ugly chains and a light that might be hanging in the way of shooting.<hr /></blockquote>Hi SnakebyteXX,

#1: You need enough light on the table.
#2: The light shouldn't be in the way of shooting.
#3: Chains don't have to be ugly.

The main thing to consider is the amount of light cast on the table. The fixture shouldn't be big enough or low enough to get in the way of shooting. The light put out by the fixture should completely cover the table. The advantage of putting the fixture lower rather than higher, I think, has to do with the shadows under the rail.

Anyway, if you can get enough light on the table with the flush mounted ceiling fixture, more power to you.

If you haven't done it yet, it might be worthwhile to get some of those really cheapo flourescent light figures (maybe even from a garage sale or something) and put them up on the ceiling and see if you can get enough light on the table.

Also, not all chains are ugly, They come in colors or you could use cable rather than chain. There's a lot of ways to hide the hangers if you don't want to see them.

Cueless Joey
08-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Frank, why did you post that picture?
Now, I feel bad and want the same light. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mick56
08-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Something I did once, was put an ad in the newspaper, saying I wanted a pool table light. One guy called me, and I bought the beer light he had.

ceebee
08-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Spetty, show them what a nice light you have. You didn't go to the HOME DEE-POT &amp; get some ol' flowresent fixture for yur table... you got yurself a NICE LIGHT.

Folks, if you have a nice room &amp; a nice Pool Table, put a nice light up. You may loose some of your investment you've made on your Pool table, but your Pool Table light will always be of value, especially if it is a nice one.

I have several Pool Table lights, all of them are nice looking and very functional. I can't afford a $1000 Diamond Pool table Light either, so I made a few for $400. The light for a 9 footer should be 6 foot long. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Frank_Glenn
08-08-2004, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Frank, why did you post that picture?
Now, I feel bad and want the same light. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Build one dude! I but spliced everything, so you don't "need" to mitre it. Of course, it would look better. Oh, the moulding was mitred, but not the other boards. Get the fixtures and measure them, then cut the long boards, decide how wide you want it and cut the small boards, put the boards together, then add the moulding. Stain it, then put the fixtures in. Looks good and cost less than $200 total.

Rod
08-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Jack,

A friend mounted two four foot wood lights like you find at Home Depot. There four tubes each. He butted them against each other end to end. It looked good plus avoid the high price of an 8 foot wood fixture. It lit up the table just fine.

Rod

Greg/Diamond
08-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Ceebee,
I'm glad to hear you have made some good lights at an affordable price. I too wouldn't want to spend 1000 for a Diamond light. I'm wondering what model light you are refering to. The new oak light, quanity of 1 new is only 625 and can be purchased after events such as the US Open for 500. I do think the 8 ft. fixtures provide better light on a 9 ft. table than the smaller fixtures as I have experimented with several. But this is just my opinion. I just had to respond because I can't remember selling any light for that much money unless it was made out of a special material such as solid cocabola wood. Lighting is not my main source of income, just my attempt to improve all playing conditions. If anyone needs any help making there own I'd be glad to help with measurements. I do hope they would take advantage of the silver parabolic grid for it's the best feature on the Diamond light IMO. Greg/Diamond 812-989-6665

Popcorn
08-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Did you ever experiment with 6 foot strips? That is what I have and it gives great light to every part of the table (9 footer). I have found the 8 footers are bigger the necessary. The six footers also look a little more trim and not like a huge coffin hanging over the table.

ras314
08-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Greg,

I have one of your lights with 8 ea 4 ft bulbs, This is a real nice light, walnut to match my table. I would heartily second your recommendation for the silver parabolic grid. This is the only bright pool light I've seen I care to use without a hat.

Cueless Joey
08-10-2004, 08:03 PM
I think I'll make one with birdseye maple veneers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara
08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
CJ,

How long will you have to let the Birdseye maple dry and what thickness would you recommend for this?

I say that would be an awesome shell, but maybe make a veneer of BEM instead of solid?

Barbara

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Forget the light, I want the speakers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

archie
05-28-2005, 01:58 PM
How high off the table did you hang the lights?

Barbara
05-28-2005, 02:10 PM
It's not so much the height of the lights, but the brightness (lumens) that count.

Six hundred lumens at each corner of the table should suffice.

And generally, 30" from the surface of the table would be the best height, but it truly depends on the light fixture itself. I defer to Mike Shamos' Billiards Encyclopedia on this subject.

Barbara