PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Reducers

c.holtz009
08-06-2004, 08:09 AM
I just received my Practice Pro pocket reducers today. They look like a great training tool, and I can't wait to give them a try.
Anyone else here ever use them or try them?
The tables where I play have bucket pockets. I never measured them, but there's enough room when a ball is "on the shelf" of the pocket, there's plenty of room to slide a ball by it into the pocket. I just figured they may help with accuracy, and concentration.

woody_968
08-06-2004, 08:49 AM
I have never tried them, but have been thinking about getting some for when I do drills. Let me know how you like them after you have used them a bit.

bill190
08-07-2004, 09:03 AM
I got some pocket reducers about two weeks ago. I was disappointed in that when installed, they do not have the same angle as the rails. With the side pockets, I can't shoot in balls at an angle. It nearly needs to be straight in.

For the corner pockets. It is almost impossible to cut in a ball frozen to the rail.

For breaking, no balls ever seem to make any pockets, but that is no biggie.

Very few scratch shots though!

So in other words, I can't play a normal game with every possible combination of regular shots - only needing more accuracy for each shot. That is what I was wanting.

I am going to modify them so they have the same angle as the rail sides at the pockets. And make the side pocket reducers so that I can shoot shots at more of an angle. The side pocket reducers would reduce the side pocket size less than the corner pocket reducers.

I guess I need to find some rubber material somewhere to do this with. I'll go look around the hardware store/auto store. Thick flat rubber would be best I'd think?

Chris Cass
08-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi Bill,

Didn't you only get 4 in a package? I've always been under the impression they were only to go in the corner pockets? I think there a good product concidering what you need to use them for. I understand your frustration as it is hard to make the balls with such a small mouth opening.

Regards,

C.C.

bill190
08-07-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Didn't you only get 4 in a package? <hr /></blockquote>

I got 6. I think it would be best to reduce the size of all pockets, not just the corner pockets. Of course I being masochistic wanting to reduce those side pockets any /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
08-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi Bill,

Can't believe you got 6 to a pack. The ones I saw were only 4 in there. They were for $30. that was long ago and the guy who loaned them out told me to ask the guy he loaned them to. To lend them to me. He must of liked them because it's been 3 yrs now and still, no reducers. LOL

I wouldn't worry about the side pockets but I would work bigtime on the corners. The sides on any table is mainly about speed as I see it. It does help to have an opening too. These Diamonds out here by me the sides are huge.

The reason I always recommend these pocket reducers are becase they're easily put in and out. Also it forces you to shoot an entirely different game. Thsi is a good thing. It helps to maximize your focus and concentration levels. You also will have to use a very cut and dry position in order to run some. That will help when you jump on a table and start noticing, Hey, these pockets will take anything. hahahha

Regards,

C.C.~~3 mths with those things and your doing great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

c.holtz009
08-07-2004, 10:47 AM
I tried my reducers for the first time today. What a difference!! The level of concentration you need to hold to make balls is almost headache forming. Not a bad thing though. I think most shots missed are a result of lack of concentration, a thing I seem to lack more often than I like.
I had mediocre success on the break. The best I did was 2 balls, and managed to get out only once from the snap.
As for the angle of the reducers, I don't like it much either. My cousin has some old used cusions, so I may try to fabricate some new cusions for the extensions. I'll try to make them match up with the rails. This shouldn't be a problem. I'm in the manufacturing industry, and have no problem being creative when something needs to be McGyvered.
For now, I'm going to trim the reducers to get them to match up a little better.
I would recommend them to anyone who wants to improve their accuracy. I know they are going to help me!

bill190
08-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey I did it!

I went to the hardware store and looked all over. I found a 4 inch round rubber like sewer pipe coupling. It has screw clamps on both ends.

Anyway I took it home and removed the screw clamps, then cut the whole thing in half with a knife. Then I was easily able to cut small pieces to act as the pocket reducers and drilled holes for the spring ends to fit into. I faced the curved part toward the pocket wall, but the spring forces it flat against the wall.

And it works great! The table plays just like a regular table, except the pockets are smaller. But you can shoot balls into the sides at an angle, cut frozen balls into the corner pockets, etc. You could glue a second layer of this over the corner pocket reducers to make them smaller and increase the difficulty.

Anyway, my reducers are now at the angles of the rail pocket openings....

PQQLK9
08-07-2004, 07:13 PM
good move /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
08-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Sounds cool Bill,

Was it costly and are they removable? Wish we had a pic to look at but I kind of imagine what they look like. It sounds like a great idea. Ever hear of the crutch tip? Now that, was a great idea too.

I'm like you Bill. I think of my own inventions too. My new one at this present time is the laser ring. When you can't see all that good, you just waive your hand across the balls. The laser shines down and if they aren't froze? Then, the light won't pass through shinning on the cloth. Helps us with bad vision from stopping and getting out the readers when checking that rack. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll call it Lazyr Vision.

Regards,

C.C.~~a googan at heart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Frank_Glenn
08-08-2004, 12:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bill190:</font><hr> Hey I did it!

I went to the hardware store and looked all over. I found a 4 inch round rubber like sewer pipe coupling. It has screw clamps on both ends.

Anyway I took it home and removed the screw clamps, then cut the whole thing in half with a knife. Then I was easily able to cut small pieces to act as the pocket reducers and drilled holes for the spring ends to fit into. I faced the curved part toward the pocket wall, but the spring forces it flat against the wall.

And it works great! The table plays just like a regular table, except the pockets are smaller. But you can shoot balls into the sides at an angle, cut frozen balls into the corner pockets, etc. You could glue a second layer of this over the corner pocket reducers to make them smaller and increase the difficulty.

Anyway, my reducers are now at the angles of the rail pocket openings....
<hr /></blockquote>

Pictures? As I said in RSB, I can host them if you can't. PM me.

bill190
08-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Here are the pictures. Black - new reducers. Green - old reducers...

http://www.geocities.com/bill190nospam

bill190
08-08-2004, 01:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Was it costly and are they removable? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, removable. The origional pocket reducers were around $39.00 for six and my sewer pipe coupling was $4.99. *New* sewer pipe coupling I might add. Wouldn't want a used one on my table! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
08-08-2004, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bill190:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Was it costly and are they removable? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, removable. The origional pocket reducers were around $39.00 for six and my sewer pipe coupling was $4.99. *New* sewer pipe coupling I might add. Wouldn't want a used one on my table! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Chris' Billiards has pocket that are like manhole covers. I kind of like them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks boss,

C.C.

Popcorn
08-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Pretty cool, the thing I think may not be so good it they are the same color as the pocket liner. They need to be green or some other color so they stand out. You can't tell where the actual pocket opening is and it looks like a black void. I have a friend and his table has red pocket liners, that's the way it came. His table is really tight but when I play on it I make everything. I think it is due to the red pocket liners. My minds eye get a clear image of the target right away. I haven't really thought about it but maybe it is a good practice thing to have a table with bright pockets to train you on seeing the target clearly. You could just tape some colored paper or something in the pocket. Getting back to your thing, the mind can be a sensitive thing. You may get a negative effect of some kind because you can't really see the pocket and target clearly. That spring thing may be a distraction as well and also get in the way of some shots when practicing. Either way, it is a training device, I don't think I would play with it on the table all the time. Just something to think about.

c.holtz009
08-13-2004, 04:12 PM
After playing with them for a while, I simply didn't like them.
It was too hard to play any position off a shot down a rail, so I re-worked them with some materials from work.
I used some neoprene, and natural rubber, bound together with contact cement. I then covered the visible area with some left over cloth a friend gave me.
They exactly match the pockets right down to a tee.
I took some photos of them, but have no one to host, otherwise I would post them.
If anyone wants to see them, just let me know, and If someone could host a couple of pics for me, we'll be in business.
Just thought I'd mention it in case someone else was interested.