PDA

View Full Version : long pro tapers?

drawshot
08-06-2004, 10:33 AM
When a cue maker such as Viking state they have a 12" - 14" taper length. Does that mean it is 13mm all from the tip to 12" down the shaft and then start to widend out?

Does any other cue maker do anything different? And Why?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-06-2004, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote drawshot:</font><hr> When a cue maker such as Viking state they have a 12" - 14" taper length. Does that mean it is 13mm all from the tip to 12" down the shaft and then start to widend out?

<font color="blue">Yes. It is cylindrical for 12" and then becomes conical. </font color>

Does any other cue maker do anything different? And Why?

<font color="blue">A shorter taper that begins sooner tends to give the cue a stiffer hit. Some people prefer that.

The longer taper allows the cue to go thru your closed bridge without widening. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

drawshot
08-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey thanks the reply,

I have heard that Muecci have been known to have shafts that stay thin throughout the first 12" - 14" then even slightly thinner then wider.

Any advantages to this Method of a taper? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote drawshot:</font><hr> Hey thanks the reply,

I have heard that Muecci have been known to have shafts that stay thin throughout the first 12" - 14" then even slightly thinner then wider.

Any advantages to this Method of a taper? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Advantage? I don't know. Meucci shafts are usually described as "whippy" and many folks do not like that. Include me in that group. I've played with a couple of Meuccis and I shot as good as with any other cue, I just didn't like the "wet noodle" effect.

I'm no expert so my advice is worth what you paid for it.

rocky
08-06-2004, 02:49 PM
The taper in the shaft will controle vibration. More taper, like a euro taper, that is almost the length of the cue, will not vibrate much because of the cone shape throughout the shaft. Less vibration means that the tip stays in better contact with the cue ball and produces better contact ( more spin)

Chris Cass
08-07-2004, 01:11 AM
HUH? The vibration doesn't happen till contact as far as I know. The time of contact is so minimal that I doubt it would count. Right?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif,

C.C.

Leviathan
08-07-2004, 05:43 AM
A long truly cylindrical taper at the business end of the shaft, or even a taper that's very close to cylindrical, gives a hit a lot of people don't like. But there's a lot of personal preference involved; I know good players who like what I'd call limp-noodle shafts.

The language used to describe shaft tapers can be confusing as hell. Unfortunately, some people apply the name "pro taper" both to shafts with a longish cylindrical taper at the hitting end and to shafts that are modestly conical at the hitting end. (Schuler and Murray Tucker describe their taper options quite clearly. Reading what these cuemakers say about shaft taper can at least help one understand what options exist.) If shaft taper matters to you, you need to be careful that any cuemaker you deal with knows what you want and is willing to provide it.

(All this in the opinion of someone who can't play!)

AS

bill190
08-07-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> HUH? The vibration doesn't happen till contact as far as I know. The time of contact is so minimal that I doubt it would count. Right? <hr /></blockquote>

Right! I get a kick out of watching a local player worry so much about shaft vibration and telling others how important it is to avoid it etc. Watch the following high speed video. The vibration occurs when the cue ball is no longer in contact...
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/new/HSVA-25.htm

Other high speed videos...
http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos

Chris Cass
08-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Bill,

I think rocky might have the tip response mixed up with the shaft and feedback or something. Hey man, cool video clips. Did you check out the frozen cb throw shot? It looks like a double hit to me. LOL

All this stuff is far beyond the naked eye and when judging these things I go by what I can see and what I can hear and especially by ball reactions.

Regards,

C.C.

c.holtz009
08-07-2004, 10:55 AM
I had an old Predator shaft that I never used anymore, so I put it on my lathe, and turned it down to a pro taper so the shaft is the same diameter from tip to about 2" from the joint.
Now it's the only shaft I use. I like the way it feels, and the response I get from it. I've had no problem with it.
I seem to really like a very aggressive taper.