PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Shaft & Tip gizmo

Rip
08-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Here is a gizmo I assembled and have been using to clean and seal my shafts and for basic tip installation and maintenance. It has a variable speed motor controlled by a foot pedal, AC receptacle for a light and adjusts to any shaft size. I use it to take care of 10 to 15 of my own personal cues.

I'm not a cue repair guy and this gizmo would not appeal to the commercial user.

Spinning Shaft & Tip gizmo (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ripsstuff2003/slideshow?&.dir=/c0a0&.src=ph)

BillPorter
08-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Looks like you did a nice job on this "gizmo." Two questions, where did you get the little wheels and don't they leave marks or dings on the shafts?

Rip
08-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks Bill.
The wheels are very soft and won't ding a shaft. There are clear colored rubber inserts available for this type of wheel but I can't remember who sells them.
Regards,
Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Looks like you did a nice job on this "gizmo." Two questions, where did you get the little wheels and don't they leave marks or dings on the shafts? <hr /></blockquote>

PQQLK9
08-08-2004, 06:53 PM
real neat Rip... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rod
08-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Pretty neat Rip,

If you had a tool rest built on there it would be even better. You might have one but I assumed you didn't because it wasn't pictured. Whatever it takes to keep your artillery maintained. LOL Good Job!

Rod

Rip
08-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks Rod. I don't even know what a "tool rest" is! Is it someplace you put tools when they're tired?

Rip~

quote=Rod] Pretty neat Rip,

If you had a tool rest built on there it would be even better. You might have one but I assumed you didn't because it wasn't pictured. Whatever it takes to keep your artillery maintained. LOL Good Job!

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

crawdaddio
08-08-2004, 07:40 PM
That's cool, I've been meaning to build one a those. How do you chuck (secure) the shaft to the motor? That's a pretty slick design, well done. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rip
08-08-2004, 07:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> How do you chuck (secure) the shaft to the motor? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Crawdaddio!
Hex screws hold a metal sleeve to the shaft of the motor.
Hex screws also secure the self centering dual flanged quadralator, aka THE CRUTCH TIP, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif to the metal sleeve.
It's not high tech but it works.
Rip

Rod
08-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Yes it's a small bed when there tired. ha ha ha A tool rest is part of a lathe. There are different tool rests. The one I'm thinking of would be like a rest for a wood lathe. Something you use to steady the tool when your cutting even if its a raiser blade. Look at this tool rest on a wood lathe. It's the flat top bar right in the center.
Lathe (http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=20780&amp;item=4316778 761&amp;rd=1#ebayphotohosting)

In your case you could make one out of bent metal or something rigid and mount it to the base. It should be set at a center height of the tip or a small fraction under. It might give you some ideas.

Rod

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Doesn't view properly for me Rip,,,you have a Jpeg you can PM me???sid

cueman1973
08-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Where did you get the bearings? That is nicely put together.

Mike

Barbara
08-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Wow Rip!!

And to think I thought of you as a trophy husband only to find out now you're pretty clever with power tools!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

rocky
08-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Hey Rip are you selling these? If so how much, and what kind of lead time would you need?
Rocky

woody_968
08-09-2004, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rocky:</font><hr> Hey Rip are you selling these? If so how much, and what kind of lead time would you need?
Rocky <hr /></blockquote>

I was wanting to know the same thing, or at least possibly detailed instructions.

Chris Cass
08-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Aww, you've gone and did it now buddy. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rip
08-09-2004, 08:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueman1973:</font><hr> Where did you get the bearings? That is nicely put together.

Mike <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Mike,
I had the motor bracket fabricated to my specs as well as the adjustable stand and bracket that houses the 3 wheels.
Regards,
Rip

Rip
08-09-2004, 08:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Wow Rip!!

And to think I thought of you as a trophy husband only to find out now you're pretty clever with power tools!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Oh yeah Barbara...I'm a combination of Bob Villa and Ward Cleaver--NOT! Actually, I'm more like Ozzie Osbourne and Tim "The Toolman" Taylor. I stumble around and mumble alot and can't fix a damn thing. But I have a good time doing it...or not doing it...whatever!
Regards,
Rip~~say "hi" to the big guy for me!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
08-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Rip,

Bob Villa would of had a tool rest. lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Ok I'm ducking now, some tools are flying my direction. ha ha

~~~ rod, on second thought he probably owns a lathe

Rip
08-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Hi Sid,
Please let me know if you were able to view the photos with the link in your PM.
Regards,
Rip

Rip
08-11-2004, 12:18 AM
This wasn't a commercial venture for me but I do have an extra motor completely wired to a foot pedal and spare receptacle.
I also have a spare prototype 3 wheel thing-a-magig.
Send a PM or email me for the details if you like.
Regards,
Rip

stickman
08-11-2004, 09:22 AM
Rip, I had trouble getting the slide show to work for me also. I just went to the album and viewed them. I built one of these a couple of years ago, but mine didn't look as nice. You did a great job! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif