PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox browser

Rod
08-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I decided to give it a whirl. Small download size which is good. Interesting enough the conversion was simple. I had to change text size but that was straight forward. I'd say it could be a bit slower than IE but no problem. Anything that gets rid of most pop ups is a blessing and is less prone to all the exploits of IE. I haven't had any problems so far so I think it's a keeper.

Rod

Popcorn
08-08-2004, 11:02 PM
After you download it, you still keep IE on the desk top? In other words it is just an icon you click on and go to the internet same as IE? What was you main reason for the switch? I down loaded the google toolbar and have not gotten another popup since. I am thinking of switching though.

Rod
08-08-2004, 11:47 PM
It's just another Icon I dragged and dropped next to IE on the quick launch tool bar. You can use either, so far I haven't set it to be the default browser. Both IE and Mozilla will ask at least once. IE however keeps asking since it wants to be the default browser. If I unchecked the box it won't ask any more. It still can be changed either way, no problem.

My two main reasons for the switch is popups and because so many use IE it falls prey to certain attacks. I have the google tool bar with both. IE uses an extra line for google which takes away from the viewing area. Not with Mozilla it's just a smaller box to the right of the address bar.

One thing I don't like is my links bar has small Icons, so far I haven't found a way to increase there size. Another is the File - Edit - View - Tools etc. are off to the left. With IE I can move them to the right. The stock setting with IE though is to the left. Another is on some pages like ebay when I navigate back to an item it doesn't return to the same space, it returns to the top of the page. I guess that was three huh? I'm still learning but it's easy to navigate without doing anything. Well I had a text size problem but that is easily changed. It's such a small file compared to IE I thought it was worth a try. If you don't like it it can always be removed via the control panel add -remove option.

Rod

crawdaddio
08-09-2004, 06:10 AM
I use the mozilla firefox, and have never had a popup. Look under "tools" at the top of your toolbar and go to " extensions". You can find all kinda tweaks to install on your browser. Also, under "themes" you can download new styles and colors for your toolbar.
Cool browser, beats the HELL out of IE /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
08-09-2004, 11:56 AM
It is cool once I learn more. Thanks for the tip. I found the add on for loading the BBC code. Hey just a right click to add underline, bold, color, quote etc. Great for you people on a BBC forum, like this one. I haven't found anything relating to why the web page goes to the top on a back click, instead of keeping it's place from where you started. Did I explain well enough? LOL <font color="Blue">For instance I added bold with just a right click and color to this text.</font color> <font color="red">Well I did have to change to a semicolin : instead of the = sign.</font color> Maybe there is a fix for that too.

Rod

Popcorn
08-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I read that is something different to come out in Sept, what does that mean? Should I wait?

Rod
08-09-2004, 01:26 PM
As with any browser there are always updates. Maybe someone knows about a later version if any at this point. This version, 0.9.3 is current. Windows XPSP2 however is very soon to be released from Microsoft which I've read bumps up security big time. Maybe that is what you heard?

Rod

Popcorn
08-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I am looking at the board with firefox. Now, what is IE doing right now, is there anything I need to do other then just close it?

Popcorn
08-09-2004, 05:24 PM
see there is no advertizing on the top of this page, is that normal? Something to adjust?

Rod
08-09-2004, 06:11 PM
You can close it no adjustment or for that matter you could leave it open. Yes there is no advertising on BD. I'm sure if you wanted there is a plug in for such but I never looked. It looks different and come to think of it there is a plugin to make it look close to IE.

Rod

Popcorn
08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
So far so good, really like the tab feature