PDA

View Full Version : 30 years ago

Popcorn
08-09-2004, 02:14 AM
"I have never been a quitter. To leave office before my term is completed is abhorrent to every instinct in my body. But as President, I must put the interest of America first. America needs a full-time President and a full-time Congress, particularly at this time with problems we face at home and abroad.

To continue to fight through the months ahead for my personal vindication would almost totally absorb the time and attention of both the President and the Congress in a period when our entire focus should be on the great issues of peace abroad and prosperity without inflation at home.

Therefore, I shall resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow. Vice President Ford will be sworn in as President at that hour in this office."

Richard Nixon

I was in a hotel ball room at a straight pool tournament in Chicago and they delayed the play for us to watch this speech. I think it will be run sometime today on cspan. If you have never seen it in it's entirety try to catch it, It is historic. They may be running the acceptance speech by Ford as well. He stuttered and looked scared as hell. He had been neither elected vice president or president, yet here he was.

catscradle
08-09-2004, 05:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> "I have never been a quitter. To leave office before my term is completed is abhorrent to every instinct in my body. But as President, I must put the interest of America first. America needs a full-time President and a full-time Congress, particularly at this time with problems we face at home and abroad.

To continue to fight through the months ahead for my personal vindication would almost totally absorb the time and attention of both the President and the Congress in a period when our entire focus should be on the great issues of peace abroad and prosperity without inflation at home.

Therefore, I shall resign the Presidency effective at noon tomorrow. Vice President Ford will be sworn in as President at that hour in this office."

Richard Nixon

I was in a hotel ball room at a straight pool tournament in Chicago and they delayed the play for us to watch this speech. I think it will be run sometime today on cspan. If you have never seen it in it's entirety try to catch it, It is historic. They may be running the acceptance speech by Ford as well. He stuttered and looked scared as hell. He had been neither elected vice president or president, yet here he was.

<hr /></blockquote>

Tricky Dicky always could spin a good speech. Personally I think he was a pretty good president too. Never forget he got us OUT of Vietnam, Democrats (particularly LBJ) got us in. Too bad he really was a crook.

Thirty years ago, 28 years old, the military behind me, back in college on the GI bill, what a great time.

PQQLK9
08-09-2004, 11:26 AM
I remember it well as I was among the thousands of curious onlookers that had assembled in front of the white house.
I was 33 and cared less about pool.

Eric.
08-09-2004, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> I remember it well as I was among the thousands of curious onlookers that had assembled in front of the white house.
I was 33 and cared less about pool. <hr /></blockquote>

I remember it too. I was 10 and cared less about Pool, let alone assembling in front of the White House /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric

Rod
08-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Well all I did was play pool so I never paid much attention to what Dicky said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I remember the speech though.

woody_968
08-09-2004, 01:37 PM
30 years ago I was five, and didnt have a clue what was goin on. I guess some things never change /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif