PDA

View Full Version : accuracy terrible

Mitch
08-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Folks when I shoot with center ball or there abouts my accuracy is in the high 90% range and I feel comfortable with it. But Im totaly confused why when I shoot with low(draw)on the CB my accuracy is terrible. Im using the same cues for alignment stance etc... but its just terrible. Know there is something i am overlooking any ideas would help!!!!!!!!!

Perk
08-09-2004, 08:54 AM
Depending on how you shoot with draw, remember the basic idea, that the lower you can keep the backend of your cue, the better the accuracy you will have. Someone posted abit back about the percentage you lose by the degrees you jack up....

I try to stay as low as possible..good luck.

rocky
08-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Without more info it is really hard to tell what is going on? It may be that you are stroking to hard to try and draw a ball. A hard stroke with draw will cause the object ball to throw or skid forward a bit before cutting in. If this is the case try and work on your draw stroke, smooth fluid motion, level cue, accelerate through the ball, and pray! j/k like I said it is very hard to tell without seeing you stroke the ball.

Cueless Joey
08-09-2004, 09:36 AM
I will take a shot in the dark and say you are masseing the ball.
I think you are elevating the cue and somehow masse'ing it.
Either that or your flinching. Flinching on hard shots is very common too among players.

nhp
08-09-2004, 09:54 AM
I used to have the same problem as you, and I still get it every once in a while. Since it is a long draw shot, you have the feeling you need to hit it hard, so you swing your cue, and you tense up your muscles (bicep especially) in the process. Instead of a nice smooth swing, you get a fast jerking motion that doesn't do much to help the shot. Some times you end up stopping the cueball, right? Other times, you miss the pocket by 3 diamonds. What you need to do, is get ALL muscle tension out of your stroking arm. Take a pause at the cueball, and just let your arm go. Strike thru the cueball like it's not there, just swing your arm, make sure you don't flex any muscles. There is no better way to get more spin out of the cueball than this. Keep doing this and your accuracy will improve also. By the way, this no muscle tension thing, it should be like this for all shots, not only draw.

Chris Cass
08-09-2004, 10:19 AM
It might be your follow-through my friend. You might be masseing the ball before it gets there? Follow through to the cloth and see if the line on the cloth is straight.

Many shooters anticipate the shot just as in the jump. When all that's needed is a straight firm stroke with a good smooth stroke. You could also maybe standing up too quickly or maybe even never really getting down on the ball?

Tough to call without the actual seeing of it. Good luck Mitch, you'll find out I'm sure. It might take you thinking about what exactly what your doing when it happens. Someone will have hit the nail on the head. Just look at these things as a troubleshooting chart. Take the one that fits. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~JMHO

Cueless Joey
08-09-2004, 10:43 AM
One solution would be is to just throw the cue.
I throw my cue when I need a snap draw too.
You cannot accelerate through the cueball any faster or smoother than when you throw the cue to it.

bill190
08-09-2004, 10:44 AM
-Draw works differently at different lengths of the cue ball from the object ball. Try practicing draw with the cue ball 1 diamond away from the object ball, then two diamonds, 3, 4, etc. Notice the difference. Also use a striped ball as the cue ball. You will be able to see the rotation by which way the stripes are moving.

2. I found that a dime shaped Moori tip works better and tip is *chalked* well, especially on sides before each shot. Repeat: *chalked* well, especially on sides before each shot.

3. I shoot draw shots as level as possible with an 11" bridge (distance hand is back from tip of cue) and I place my hand further back on the butt of the cue.

4. Follow through on each draw shot until the tip hits the cloth.

5. You can hit draw shots Slow. Or even slower. Try hitting them with the same speed as a regular shot or even slower. See how slow you can go and still get draw.

6. Cut shots while using draw. Wait until you have mastered straight in draw shots before attempting these.

7. Practice draw shots once a week with the object ball one diamond away from the cue ball. Line up a row of balls across the middle of the table (side pocket to side pocket) and shoot into either corner pocket. You will miss these at first, but that is OK, you are learning, just keep practicing once a week and you will eventually get better and better.

8. Did I mention to chalk well before *each* shot?

Chris Cass
08-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey Joey,

I'd through it too if I had a Meucci. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
08-09-2004, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hey Joey,

I'd throw it too if I had a Meucci. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
You can't throw a Meucci.
It will buckle, snap in half and might poke you in the eye. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
What did Cornbread say about his Meucci?
He left it in the car and when he came back, someone broke his window and left another Meucci in his seat.

PQQLK9
08-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Can you say Scott Lee...it worked for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
relax, hit low FOLLOW THROUGH and stay down forever (Jimmy Reid)

GStrong
08-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Also... what worked for me is just praticing it at least 50 or more balls a day straight in, drawing it right back to ya. For me, a very loose grip, level cue, straight through with a nice wrist snap at the end and you will have that cue ball whippin around the table.

Scott Lee
08-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Nick...LOL! Tis true! All good advice here, and more than likely, this poster is accidentally hitting the CB with a slight amount of sidespin (whether the cue is level or elevated), which will certainly affect the outcome of the shot, as well as whether or not they get position. Work on the mechanics of the swing, and these problems will probably go away! A lesson would certainly help this poster. BTW, I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.

Scott

PQQLK9
08-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Hey Scott, I do need a follow up but currently i am out of town and will probably be so untill the US Open. I will be in touch...thanks.

Rod
08-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Scott,

5 will get you 10 the poster is making a move as you well know. Problem is, it's the wrong move/s. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

pooltchr
08-09-2004, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> BTW, I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks.

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Give me a call when you are coming in...maybe we can get together for a while again. I'll call Randyg and see if we can talk him into sending out lunch money!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif LOL
Steve

Chris Cass
08-09-2004, 03:32 PM
HAHAHAHA

Hey Joey,

That's what makes you such a good guy. Your ability to spot a good joke when I tell one. Now, if I can only get my wife and the rest of the world to do that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope he know's we're talking about the cue sliding forward.

Regards,

C.C.

Bob_Jewett
08-09-2004, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mitch:</font><hr> Folks when I shoot with center ball or there abouts my accuracy is in the high 90% range and I feel comfortable with it. But Im totaly confused why when I shoot with low(draw)on the CB my accuracy is terrible.<hr /></blockquote>
As others have mentioned, it may be that you are hitting the cue ball with side spin. When you combine draw with side spin, the cue ball curves more than on other shots. I'm surprised that no one has suggested this very simple way to see if you are shooting with unintended side spin:

Use a stripe as your cue ball. Have the stripe "pointed" along the line of your stick, which means that you will hit at the middle of the stripe and the cue ball is resting on the stripe and if you were to play with top spin, the stripe would roll like a tire without any wobble. Try shooting this "cue ball" straight up and down the middle of the table. If you can do it with middle ball or follow, try it with draw. Once you are able to get the "cue ball" all the way down the table and back always rolling on the stripe -- a little wobble is OK -- try shooting an easy draw shot the same way. On the final stroke, watch the stripe, not the target ball, so that you can pick up on whether side spin is creeping into the shot.

If an off-center hit is not the problem, you probably have some other problems with your fundamentals. Some drills to work on fundamental are available for free on the web site below. Try the one-handed stroking drills and the first level of the progressive practice drills.

Good luck