PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everybody!

Jeff_T
08-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Hey guys, I've been trying to get onto the board for a week or so but it wouldn't accept my email address. I had to make a new one just to register.

Anyway I'm here now, my name's Jeff Tan, I'm 18 and I live in Sydney, Australia. I've been playing for a year or so, haven't played in any league or anything yet and have mostly been playing in small 8-ball comps on 6ft pub tables.

At the moment my game is all over the place because of all the different tables I play on; 9ft Olio tables, 6ft pub with round cut pockets at uni, 6ft with square cut pockets at most pubs I go to, I play a lot of snooker, and I have an 8ft table at home.

I'm just a beginner, I'll only pot out 1 in 30 times if that often. So that's why I'm here, to learn how to improve my game.

Thanks for reading,
Jeff

BillPorter
08-10-2004, 05:30 AM
Jeff, welcome to the board! There are some very knowledgeable posters around here who are generous with their time and advice.

Rich R.
08-10-2004, 05:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jeff_T:</font><hr> I've been playing for a year or so, haven't played in any league or anything yet and have mostly been playing in small 8-ball comps on 6ft pub tables.
<hr /></blockquote>
What are you waiting for? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyway, welcome Jeff.
We have fun here. We argue sometimes, but don't let that bother you.

Hey everybody, the Fosters is on Jeff! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
08-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Well Jeff,

Welcome Aboard Mate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think your average is higher than 1 in 30 but I'll except that. LOL Your at the right place so, what kind of cue are you playing with? I too play on the 9ft Olio tables. They play like the Kim Steele tables almost exactly imho.

Just sit back and take it all in. We have fun here and don't take too many things seriously. I think the next thing for you to do that's important is learn to use the Wei table diagram. You'll see a bunch of code once in awhile and that's what that's all about. The Wei table is our tool in aiding us in trying to get our thoughts across when descibing shots.

I'd like to help out here but others have a better way of explaining it. It's not very hard but it is very valuable.

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
08-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi Jeff, I gotta tell ya Australia is one place I want to visit before I die /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome to the board and jump right in, you dont have to be an expert to give an opinion, other wise CC would never be able to post /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif LOL

Enjoy

BoBB
08-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, you'll love it ... I know I am /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
08-10-2004, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Hi Jeff, I gotta tell ya Australia is one place I want to visit before I die /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome to the board and jump right in, you dont have to be an expert to give an opinion, other wise CC would never be able to post /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif LOL

Enjoy <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Your not so slow after all. LMAO

C.C.

dr_billiards
08-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Welcome to the board Jeff! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry
08-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi Jeff, Welcome aboard. I'll be taking my daughter to Australia the first week of november to play in the girls division of the World Junior 9-Ball Championships, i'm told they'll be using Olio tables, how are these tables to play? Terry

Jeff_T
08-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I'll be able to learn a LOT from you guys and hopefully being able to give something back once I'm a bit more competent. It's good to see such a friendly board.

Rich,
I haven't joined a league yet cos I don't have a car and can't really get myself to and from the games. That should change in the next month so I can start playing and improving.

Chris,
I only have a couple of cheap no-name cues as that's all I've been able to afford so far. I use a 20oz. cue with a 9mm tip most of the time on 2" balls, and a 19oz. KC cue of some variety for 9-ball. I know the KC's are no good, but it was cheap and it's better than a house cue.

Do I need special software to use the Wei table? I've seen the coding in a few posts and wondered what it meant.

Terry,
If you're playing in Sydney it's quite likely that you'll be playing not far from my house. Hopefully I'll see you in November.

I'm not sure I can offer much insight as to how the tables play as they're the only type of table I've played on of that style. Perhaps Chris can help you out?

Cya

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 08:01 AM
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Put this in your favorites and you can download Shockwave.com for free at their website. Once you do that you can drag the balls with your mouse and put them where you want and there's lines and also letters for describing position and don't forget to use the dot on the cb to indicate english or hi and low. Click on copy then to post it and double R click paste to get the code on your post. There's more but that's already a bunch for now. Get to work dude. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9-11.5 mm for Snooker is right and your right about the 12.5-13 1/4 mm for 9 Ball, 8 Ball, Straight Pool, Banks, One Pocket, Rotation, 6 Pocket and Golf. There's more but those are the only ones I like to play.

KC cues aren't bad. They're not on my fav list but they're ok. I think a Blackheart cues for the best deal with quality in mind for the price.

The closest cue I've shot with to the S.W. is the Durbin cue. He uses the same pin except for it's chrome and he does have a G10 Epoxy pin to change the balance point that will be closer to the S.W. in balance. His balance point is about 3" above the wrap and the S.W. is closer to 2". Unbelievably how it feels the exact same in your hands though.

Need to try out a Blackheart cue one day. I like the things JER' doing but I'd like to make a personal pitch if I do ever hit with one. Iif I ever do Feel with one. lol Rod)

S.W was the biggest degree of feeling that I've had in a cue other than the first time I shot with a Meucci. Now days though, so many high quality cue makers putting out cues that are great. Just too many to try. If you did you'd be trying more than getting used to one. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~some like 12mm that's a toss up, you need the ability to see. lol I like 20 oz.

SRpool
08-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Welcome to the forum Jeff. Have fun and make yourself at home.

Sarah

Jeff_T
08-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Thanks heaps Chris, I'll make sure to learn how to use the shockwave thing in whatever spare time I have.

I would've looked around for a cue longer, but there simply aren't many around where I am. I bought the KC off ebay.

Are Adam cues any good? There was a guy selling one not too far from me for $75 AUD.

CarolNYC
08-12-2004, 04:36 AM
G'DAY,Jeff!

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PQQLK9
08-12-2004, 06:51 AM
Hi Jeff,welcome...