PDA

View Full Version : Mobile, AL 9-Ball Tourny last weekend... I won...

cycopath
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM
...one match.

August 6-8 was Breakers Billiards annual 10,000 added 9 ball barbox tournament in Mobile, AL. There were quite a few major players in the 125 player field. To name a few...

Reed Pierce
Shannon Daulton
Cliff Joyner
Tony Chohan
Ryan McCressh
Pookie
Richie Richeson
David Gutierrez
Scotty Townsend
Lil John Masias
Rick Howard
Jamie Farrell

A guy by the name of Scott Lewis went undefeated through the whole thing. Heavy set guy about 6ft tall with a shaved head and goatee, around 30 years old. He lives in Charlotte, NC so maybe Nick (PQQLK9) knows him.

Like I said I won one match, my first. Then lost to a kid named Dallas Roach and finally forfeited my last match after having had just 1.5 hours of sleep in the last 24, I just couldn't stay awake any longer.

The tournament was being played on a total of 8 barboxes so the matches were being held round the clock. My first match was at 11pm, my second at 3am and my last at 8am. I had arrived at 11am the morning of. My home was far enough away it kept me from traveling back and forth. I could have slept in the car but there were so many great matches being played I couldn't leave.

After the fact I told my wife when it comes to tournaments, you can be a player or a spectator, but not both. If you are going to play in it you have to spend your down time resting, not sweating matches.

There was non-stop action the whole weekend.

PQQLK9
08-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Congratulations on your win. Yep, Scott Lewis is the real deal.

Chris Cass
08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Wow, congrats but saddened that you didn't play the b bracket match. I understand about sleep though. I know Jamie Ferrell. I met him about 1990. I shot a few tourneys with him at John Abbruzo' place back then. I also played with him once gambling at Harolds in Bloomington.

He won but he mentioned that I shot pretty good. He used to play with a Schon. First Schon I ever seen. It amazed me because he wouldn't buckle after I had been playing so well. We must have played all of 3 hrs before he won. I don't remember what I lost but I do know all I played was $100. sets. That was back when Whitey Walker was coming up too. Nice guy that Jamie was. He had kind or redish blonde hair at the time and spoke with a southern type accent if I remember. Good guy. Super respectful about others and his game was very good.

Regards,

C.C.

cycopath
08-10-2004, 04:20 PM
The Red Rifle is still a straight shooter.

Yeah, he's redheaded and southern. His poolhall (The Corner Pocket) is in Kenner, LA, so I have to assume he's from the NOLA area.

woody_968
08-10-2004, 04:26 PM
CC, I remember the name Whitey Walker, I think he used to play some tournaments around matoon. Did he have blond hair? I mean real blond, almost white? If its the same guy I am thinking of he could play a bit /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Hi Woody,

Yep, that's Whitey. He can play. He's married now and has a really good business at his hall in Burlington, Il. He's got a really good head for business. His Dad works there too cooking every now and then. I think he's in charge of the cooks and restaurant area.

Whitey is so cool. When his tourneys get playing so late at night that he'll offer a Steak and egg breakfast with Hash Browns for like $5. This is really good stuff they make there. Everything is good. Unreal and he does everything top notch. He like the players and knows what we like. Can't believe the deal on that Steak. it's huge and it's not like he's making any money from it. He's making a return business. Smart kid if you ask me.

I think he took off a BCA state event or something this past yr or so? He still plays good. His Dad has slowed down a bit but is sporty still with his cue. Nice people these Walkers. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 12:11 AM
That's how long since I've seen him. The last I saw him was at Johns old place, not the Palace. He didn't own a pool hall either. He did however shoot with John' team events I think? That was with Larry Schwartz(sp) and a buch like Mike Bandy and Jeff Sargent. Not sure? Been too long.

Regards,

C.C.~~he was a friendly guy and very quiet.