PDA

View Full Version : Home Pool Table Advice Needed

Shiba
08-10-2004, 06:18 PM
I am looking to get a pool table for our house and I am curious as to the quality of two different brands and the pros and cons to each.

The two we are looking into are the Fischer Dutchess and one of the entry models by Olhausen. Either way, I am forced to go with a 7' table due to space constraints.

I plan to spend about $2000 and want something that will last and that is of quality for home use. I do not need the best table out there since I am not a professional but I also do not want something that will sag and break either.

Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bill190
08-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Well if you're getting a 7 ft. table, you can also get a bar "coin-op" table. Maybe for less, I don't know.

I prefer a ball return and have a modified coin-op table where the balls return without being stopped by the coin-op device. Also I use a magnetic cue ball (high quality) and it returns to the other side of the table. I shoot in a lot of balls when practicing, so the ball return saves my feet. I get enough excersize playing and practicing!

Also my table has a "one piece slate". This is easier to level than tables which have several separate pieces of slate. May want to ask about that. Italian slate is best, and be sure it is slate.

Here is the Valley (coin-op) web site FYI...
http://www.vdlp.org

woody_968
08-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Most 7' tables should be one piece slate. Olhausen makes a good table, but I am not familiar with the exact one you are talking about. As suggested, for a good playing table you might want to look at a bar table. I dont know what they run, but if you could be lucky enough to come accross a used diamond they are IMO the best table out there.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> ..if you could be lucky enough to come accross a used diamond they are IMO the best table out there. <hr /></blockquote>

ditto that.

I believe if he can get a Kasson or an Olhausen for $2000, that's not a bad deal. Diamond would be better.

Shiba
08-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Have any of you heard of westwood? Are they any good? Also, what would the quality of a Kasson be?

What order would you rate the following for quality and value....

1) Brunswick
2) Olhausen
3) Kasson
4) Westwood
5) Fischer

Keep in mind that I am looking for a 7' table that will run roughly $2000-$2500.

Thanks for all of the help. This is just a big invenstment and one I want to make a good descision on. Thanks again.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-12-2004, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shiba:</font><hr> What order would you rate the following for quality and value....

1) Brunswick
2) Olhausen
3) Kasson
4) Westwood
5) Fischer

<hr /></blockquote>

1. Brunswick
2. Olhausen
3. Kasson

Westwood <font color="blue">never heard of them </font color>
Fischer <font color="blue">don't know anything about them. </font color>

pooltchr
08-12-2004, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> ..if you could be lucky enough to come accross a used diamond they are IMO the best table out there. <hr /></blockquote>

ditto that.

I believe if he can get a Kasson or an Olhausen for $2000, that's not a bad deal. Diamond would be better. <hr /></blockquote>

One of the pool rooms here bought a couple of used 7' Diamond smart tables after the APA city tournament here last year. I don't know what he paid, but knowing him, it wasn't much. If you can get a deal like that, go for it!

frankbullett
08-12-2004, 09:29 AM
I purchased an Olhausen this spring and returned it after two weeks and got a Bruswick and am very happy I made the change. IMO the Olhausen tables are overpriced for the quality and workmanship you get, not to mention mine was not even close to BCA specs. Also, You will probably be getting 3/4 slate on a 7 ft. Olhausen. That was my experience for what ever it is worth.