PDA

View Full Version : Open or closed bridge hand?

BoBB
08-10-2004, 11:05 PM
Ok when I see most people play they play with a closed bridge hand. I have been playing with an open bridge hand since I started. What is the difference? I have tried playing with a closed bridge but my hands are to small! Would it be wise to go with a thin shaft to be bale to go with a closed bridge if I have to? Ive noticed when I do use a closed bridge(sort of, small hands suck!) I have a tad more control over the cue than with an open bridge, but it is fairly uncomfortable to shoot that way as the cue gets hung up in my hands once in a while ... any recommendations?

bill190
08-10-2004, 11:27 PM
I use an open bridge most of the time, a closed bridge for draw shots, and on the rail shots anything which works!

The main idea is to provide a "firm stable" support for the cue. (Hand should not move or wobble and should be planted like concrete.)

Other than that, being comfortable is most important! I have a friend who had a bridge which worked well for him. Then someone came along and insisted he use a bridge the same exact way he did as this was the "right way". Well my friend shot poorly with the new bridge and had pain in his hands from holding the bridge that way. He told me this story and I said "Horse Pucky"! Go back to the bridge that worked best for you!

So I would suggest you do the same. Try a closed bridge, try an open bridge, try different bridges you see people using, especially on the rail bridges (some of these can be a big improvement on stability). Then use what works best for *you* and is most comfortable for *you*.

Rod
08-11-2004, 01:21 AM
BoBB,

I have small hands and use a large shaft with a closed bridge. Sometimes I use an open bridge also. What ever you like but make it solid. It is possible you don't know how to make a closed bridge? Many don't you know, I see some struggle a lot trying. It's not that their hand or fingers is to small either.

Power shots, like firm draw or follow and the break I think it's better when closed. All others not a big deal really.

Rod

trailboss
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
If I could shoot as well as Allison does I would be a very happy camper. Like it was already said go with what is comfortable for you. Best of Luck to you!

BoBB
08-12-2004, 12:38 PM
What is the correct way to make a closed bridge, the way I do it is i wrap my index finger around the cue and rest the cue on my middle finger, problem is when I do this my index finger isnt long enough to keep a steady grip on my middle finger so every once in a while my finger will slip and ill hit in the wrong place.

Rod
08-12-2004, 01:49 PM
There is more than one closed bridge but they are similar. My index finger and thumb pinch the middle finger with the cue resting snug inbetween and on my middle finger. Wow that was a long sentence. ha ha ha

Here is a good link on the importance of a good bridge.
Bridge (http://www.azbilliards.com/maxeberle/max1.cfm)

Here is a good closed bridge. Similar to mine but not exact.

closed (http://easypooltutor.com/images/upload/10490212491.jpg)

Here is a good open bridge.
Open (http://easypooltutor.com/images/upload/10490212492.jpg)

The bridge is like a tripod,if you will,(at least three support points) the palm and two or more fingers spread out to make a solid foundation. Go visit that site too for more indepth fundamentals.

Rod

Saint
08-12-2004, 02:27 PM
I've been playing pool since I was old enough to see over the top of the tables (My Aunt owned the bar /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. This is good in that I've had a lot of exposure to the game, but it's bad in that I've developed a lot of bad habits. My bridge was one of them.

I tried, many years ago, when I was younger to use a closed bridge. However, it seemed my hands were too small and it was uncomfortable, so I used an open bridge. I can't believe how hard it was for me to get over my dislike of a closed bridge. However, recently I started forcing myself to use a closed bridge and now I'm too the point that I prefer it.

It has made a difference in my game. My accuracy is slightly improved, or it's easier to keep my stroke anyway. Also, I find draw and english much easier to execute and control. In fact, I had been having some trouble getting accurate and predictable draw with an open bridge which is what prompted me to start trying closed bridge in the first place. I would definitely suggest developing both bridges.

bluewolf
08-12-2004, 05:45 PM
I use both and could not really tell you which I use more than the other except that I know that I use open for top.

I feel that closed is more solid but that with open, unless you use a long bridge, you can see the shot much better.. Perhaps that is why those pros coming from a snooker background use open bridges a lot.

I would say experiment with all types of bridges and then settle into what is natural and produces the best results. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura

Ralph S.
08-12-2004, 11:00 PM
I use several different bridges. Depending on what situation or shot is needed dictates what type of bridge I use for that shot. I firmly beleive that an open bridge should only be used for short and very routine shots where stroke power is minimal. Any shot that requires a firm stroke, is best to use a closed bridge whenever possible.

tateuts
08-12-2004, 11:41 PM
There are pros and cons to open and closed bridges. It takes more skill and some worn out sweat cells to make a good closed bridge.

However you form a closed bridge, the main thing is to have it loose enough for a free stroking motion but tight enough so that there is zero lateral motion.

If you can't do that, use an open bridge, because you are basically losing the benefits of a closed bridge.

On long shots and long thin cut shots, I like using a closed bridge and bridging very long - like 12" or more. For me it's the best of both worlds. I can see the shot better and aim the cue more accurately without sacrificng much stability.

Chris