PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pool Rule

Bassn7
08-10-2004, 11:35 PM
The last object ball and the cue ball end up within the rack area. What is the ball placement?

Chris Cass
08-10-2004, 11:39 PM
The ob gets placed on the ctr spot and the cb on the head spot.

Regards,

C.C.

qstroker2004
08-10-2004, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The last object ball and the cue ball end up within the rack area. What is the ball placement? <hr /></blockquote>

In this situation, the ob gets racked with the rest of the balls, and the cue ball is in hand in the kitchen. The only time the ob goes on the center spot is if it is in the rack area, but cannot go on the head spot because the cue ball is covering the head spot already. It can be confusing and I have to check it myself regularly. Go here and scroll down to the table that shows the different situations:

http://www.onthesnap.com/rules/14.1_Rules.html

dwhite

Chris Cass
08-10-2004, 11:59 PM
You are right. I stand corrected. I thought it was a trick question. of course it's that way. Geez, I just am not a test taker. LOL

The bad part is I've been playing the game all last week. lol It's tough because we never ran across it and I know it to begin with. My bad.

Darn, ask me another so I can break even. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards,

C.C.

qstroker2004
08-11-2004, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are right. I stand corrected. I thought it was a trick question. of course it's that way. Geez, I just am not a test taker. LOL

The bad part is I've been playing the game all last week. lol It's tough because we never ran across it and I know it to begin with. My bad.

Darn, ask me another so I can break even.
<hr /></blockquote>

OK, how about this one: On the opening break, two balls have to go to a rail in order to have a legal shot, otherwise I lose 2 points. If I do get two to the rail, but then I scratch in the corner pocket, do I lose 2 points for fouling on the opening break, or do I just lose 1?

Here's another similar one. Let's say my opponent 3 fouls and loses the 18 points. A rerack is required and the fouling player gets ball in hand in the kitchen. Does he have to execute an opening break with 2 balls to the rail, or can he play a regular safety?

There. That's two chances to either redeem or hang yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif just kidding.

dwhite

Rod
08-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Ok I'll guess 1 for question 1 and a regular break requirment after the three foul. Oh I'm not CC, never mind. Hey CC don't believe me I don't know diddley. LOL

Steve Lipsky
08-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Hey Dan. Those ain't tough enough for my man, Mr. Cass. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris, is there ever a time you are allowed to shoot directly downtable after leaving the cueball in the rack area?

- Steve &lt;-- we gotta get the blood flowing to Chris' brain for maximum US Open ass-kickage.

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote qstroker2004:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

Darn, ask me another so I can break even.
<hr /></blockquote>

OK, how about this one: On the opening break, two balls have to go to a rail in order to have a legal shot, otherwise I lose 2 points. If I do get two to the rail, but then I scratch in the corner pocket, do I lose 2 points for fouling on the opening break, or do I just lose 1?

Here's another similar one. Let's say my opponent 3 fouls and loses the 18 points. A rerack is required and the fouling player gets ball in hand in the kitchen. Does he have to execute an opening break with 2 balls to the rail, or can he play a regular safety?

There. That's two chances to either redeem or hang yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif just kidding.

dwhite <hr /></blockquote>

Oh Thank you D,

I like to come back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like redo's too. Ok, your minus 2 points and the opponent has the option to shoot the rack as is with BIH behind the head string or have you break a full rack again.

The second senerio,

There is a rerack and the opening break rules apply. Pocketing a ball goes without saying.

Well, I corrected this post as I messed that last one up too. lol It's been many yrs since I really played the game and remember only some of the rules. I thought I knew them all but I was wrong. After checking the website rules I corrected one inperfection. I forgot about the rerack after minus the 15 points. It's coming back to me now but anyone I play never 3 fouls. Usuaklly if someone fouls leaving the cb hidden in the pack the other player will just tap the ferrule on the cb to force the other to shoot.

Ok one for you, Lets say I break the opening break and don't meet the requirements. You have me rebreak and still I don't meet the requirements and you again make me break a full rack. The third time I rack and do the same thing. How many points am I down? lol

My second one, What happens if you choose to keep running the balls after the winning ball was made?

Regards,

C.C.~~ minus only 15 points for the 3 foul and minus 1 point each time he fouls totaling 18 points. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi Steve,

Been thinking about you buddy. What happened was it was late and I didn't really take the time to read the exact words in the post. I was tired and I rushed my shot. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~I'm doing something for you at the Open. I want it to be a winning match but you may have to settle for a piece of pizza in your honor. lol Did I ever tell you I love the name Gina? I do, I think it's a cool name.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2004, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote qstroker2004:</font><hr>
...Let's say my opponent 3 fouls and loses the 18 points. A rerack is required and the fouling player gets ball in hand in the kitchen. Does he have to execute an opening break with 2 balls to the rail, or can he play a regular safety?...<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>
There is no rerack and it is only required to nick a ball and hit a rail or drive a ball to a rail. Pocketing a ball goes without saying.<hr /></blockquote>

What do you mean there is no re-rack? Do you mean there is no "re-break" required ?

qstroker2004
08-11-2004, 09:34 AM
OK Chris,

In the first question, if on the opening break you get two balls to the rail AND the cue ball, but scratch, you only lose one point for the scratch. I had to doublecheck the rules myself and I found that you lose points for every infraction. This would mean to me that if you don't get 2 balls to the rail, and you don't get the cue ball to a rail, then you would lose 4 points! Maybe Steve can chime in on whether the rule is interpreted that way. The balls are either reracked or left as is for the opponent.

In the second situation where the player is on three fouls and has to break again, the rules to the opening break apply. So he has to get 2 balls to the rail or else he loses 2 more points. The rules say that the opponent has the option of leaving the rack as is, or having a rerack, but my impression in competition was that the balls are automatically reracked. Again, maybe Steve will comment.

To answer your question, the three foul rule does not apply to the opening break. So he could keep fouling on the opening break and will not be assessed -15 points!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dwhite

qstroker2004
08-11-2004, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My second one, What happens if you choose to keep running the balls after the winning ball was made? <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry, forgot to respond to this one. I believe what happens is that your ball counting odometer resets to zero, and you have to run another 150 to win! Either that, or you have to buy a beer for everyone in the house, I forget which. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dwhite

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Lol,

I guess I don't know much of anything about the game anymore. I once played in a tourney and I had the option of after making the final ball for the win or keep shooting to compete for the high run catagory and prize money. If I did choose to I would have to allow my opponent to shoot again and he could have the chance to win the match by besting my score. Tough choice.

Man, give me another chance, maybe in one pocket or 9 ball or pitching quarters. lol

Take care,

C.C.~~good to learn humilty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nostroke
08-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Are you kidding? Reset to zero? For a math error? What is the purpose of that rule?

qstroker2004
08-11-2004, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Are you kidding? Reset to zero? For a math error? What is the purpose of that rule? <hr /></blockquote>

It was just meant in the same light as having to buy everybody a beer, or maybe having to chalk your nose. Just a joke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

dwhite

Nostroke
08-11-2004, 04:10 PM
after careful consideration, i have come to the conclusion that I am an idiot trapped in the body of a moron!