PDA

View Full Version : Planet-Pool $2k add - Maryland - Aug 14-15

nineballcc
08-11-2004, 08:30 AM
The Planet-Pool 9-ball Tour will be at Champion Billiards in Rockville, MD on August 14th & 15th.
$2000 added, paying out 3/8ths of the field.

Open Event: Saturday & Sunday
Entry Fee
$60 for men 21 years of age & over
$45 for women & juniors entering the Open Event
Room opens Saturday at 10:00 for practice & registration
Player meeting held at noon - play begins immediatly following[/b]

Women's Event: Sunday only
$50 for women over 21 years of age
$35 for female juniors under 21 years of age
Room opens Sunday at 10:00 for practice & registration
Player meeting held at 11:00 am - play begins immediatly following.

Bring a friend - any member who brings a friend, a new player that has not played in a Planet-Pool event in the past two years, receives a $15 discount on their entry fee!

For directions to this event, or further information on Planet-Pool Events, Schedules, Sponsorship & Franchising information - visit Planet-Pool (http://www.planet-pool.com).

RailbirdJAM
08-12-2004, 03:51 AM
Howdy, NineballCC! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Because of the Carolinas Open beginning NEXT WEDNESDAY, I have heard it through the grapevine that some top players will be showing up for the Planet Pool 9-Ball tournament at Champions in Rockville, MD, this coming weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, this is a non-smoking billiards emporium, which is a nice feature for many pool enthusiasts and players alike.

I'm sure Ryan "The Genie Man" McCreesh will be there to defend his points lead, and UPA Touring Pro Mike Davis, the tour's poster player and winner of last year's points, is not far behind in second place.

There is a full bar located in a separate room from the tournament area, and the rowdy sports fans watching the three big screen TV's won't shark any of the players. The food is great, not the traditional pool room platters of fried blood mud. The Keno board is a favorite with my family!/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Looking forward to Saturday and can't wait to see who shows up. See you there, NineballCC! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

RailbirdJAM

nineballcc
08-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Not sure what I did wrong - I thought I replied to this message already - sorry about that. Thanks for the post - we're looking forward to a big field as well. We've spent the last three events in Virginia, and we're expecting quite a few of our Maryland, Pennsylvania players to show up. Railbird - I hope you and yours come as well. I miss everybody between events - as you know - I love being in the middle of it all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

RailbirdJAM
08-15-2004, 03:34 AM
The tournament is going strong and will begin this morning at 10:45 a.m. The women's tourney begins at noon today.

Over 70-some-odd players showed up in Rockville, Maryland. Among those in the winners' bracket: Danny "Kid Delicious" Basavich, James Parker (came in 9th in DCC Banks), Virginia's Young Gun Pookie (just arrived from tourney in Mobile, Alabama), and UPA Touring Pro Mike Davis. Among those on the B side of the charts: Ryan "The Genie Man" McCreesh, Keith McCready, and Tom-Tom Wirth (winner of '93 Capital City Classic One-Pocket).

Kid Delicious is making his way South getting ready for this coming Wednesday, the Carolinas Open in Goldsboro, NC, August 18-22, 2004.

Pookie and Ryan, just arriving back home from $10,000-guaranteed tourney in Mobile and associated action games (LOL), said Cliff Joyner, Shannon "The Cannon" Daulton, California's Young Gun Tony Chohan, and One-Pocket Legend Ronnie Allen are coming to Goldsboro to play in The Carolinas Open.

Who will win today in Rockville is anybody's guess. Kid Delicious knocked Ryan McCreesh, the current points leader, in the losers' bracket, and Ryan is hoping to plow his way through the losers' bracket to get revenge on Danny.

During their match, Ryan was bent down over a ball and after he made the shot, a ball moved on the table. I didn't see it happen, but an argument ensued and Kid felt it should be a foul. Ryan said no way, as it didn't travel in the path of the cue-ball. The TD was called over to the table to settle the dispute, and after a somewhat heated discussion decided the only fair thing to do would be for them to play the game over. After all, in any tournament, the rules do prevail, but the TD will ALWAYS be the one to make the decision, and rightfully so.

Kid Delicious is breaking beautifully. In the winner-racks format of this tour, after he cracked the balls, the 1-ball would fly in the side pocket about 90 percent of the time, allowing him to run out effortlessly. I've got to say he's a crowd favorite and has a lot of fans here, to include me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RailbirdJAM

PQQLK9
08-15-2004, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the court report JAM /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ,you made me feel as if I was there.
Nice to hear Tom Tom is still hitting them well (I remember him from my Silver Spring days at Champions on Ga.Ave (now J and B Billiards I think). Joanie and Bud??? probably.
I will try to make it to Goldboro.

RailbirdJAM
08-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Hey, PQQLK9, Champions on Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring was THE first Champions owned by Richard Allen, before they sprung up in Frederick, Shirlington, Rockville, and Laurel.

I used to work there with Skip, Bubba (before he married Joan), Larry Nicholson, and Danny G. I'm wondering if we may know each other. Do you remember Lawyer Robbie, left-handed Ronnie, Korean Lee, Geese, Timmy and Stuey, Bobby Hawk and Quick Vic, Boggs brothers, Fat Danny, Old Man Mickey a/k/a "Mr. Johnson" (LOL), and the rest of the crew?

Bubba ended up buying this pool room from Richard Allen. I was recently there. Bubba has passed away, and Joan still runs the joint. She is doing great, but I heard rumors she's selling the pool room in about a year. They have a beer license now, but there is no smoking, due to the ban in Montgomery County.

The last Maryland State tournament was held there in '86 by yours truly (LOL). It was the same year TCOM came out, and Towson resident Mike Sigel won the event, with Cigar Tom coming in second, and Teddy Wilson third. Cigar Tom Vanover is still actively playing out of his room in Dundalk. I still run into Teddy on occasion, but it is usually at the local OTB facility, a place that is a favorite with my road partner.

APA Champ Jim "Shorty" Henson won the Planet Pool 9-Ball tourney this weekend, with Mark "Doughnut Man" Ford coming in second. Mark took a hiatus from pool for about a year. He used to be the house man at Hot Shots on Pulaski Highway in Baltimore. He knocked Kid Delicious in the losers' bracket. I thought he was going to win the tournament, but Shorty was on a mission and never looked back. They both played great this weekend!

If you make it to the Carolinas Open this week, I look forward to seeing you!

RailbirdJAM