PDA

View Full Version : One pocket vs 9 ball?

Bassmaster
08-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Last weekend a couple of road players came into the pool hall challenging anyone "get your best player in here" type to a game of 1 pocket. Not many players here play one pocket. However some good 9 ball players were there. The roadies didnt want to play 9 ball, the 9 ball playeres didnt want to play 1 pocket..so no action.
Anyway would'nt a great 1 pocket player be great in 9 ball or vise versa... or the games too different?

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Well Bassmaster,

One pocket is more of a thinking game and requires a what I call a lag stroke. The object is not to make the ball neccessarily but get them close. It's also really easy to handicap too. If one plays one pocket it's hard to transfer to 9 ball. It's an entirely different stroke. Plus, in One Pocket you will bet more persay then in 9 ball per game. You might win a set for a hundred in 9 ball and pull up where, in One Pocket you would play for 2 hundred and if the player plays smart can keep you in the game. They say it's an old mans game due to the pace of the game. That's turning around as young players are getting more involved in One Pocket nowdays. It's also mainly placing the cb instead of making the balls where as in 9 Ball it's all about making balls. The break is key too in 9 ball. Not tha5t in One Pocket it isn't but the worse case in One Pocket is if you broke like Cory and even he has won his share. lol IMHO and not professional.

9 Ball, is what most play so, they also would want to take that advantage away too. I say, play both.

Regards,

C.C.

woody_968
08-11-2004, 09:29 AM
IMO a good one pocket player might be able to beat someone at 9ball. But a good nine ball player would have a tough time beating someone that knows how to play one pocket (at one pocket). So they wanted to play their best game.

The other reason could be with nine ball if they miss the nine they can lose in one shot, but in one pocket the opponent still has to make 8 balls, and there is not as much luck in one pocket.

One pocket is much more a thinking game, knowing what ball to shoot or what move to make, nine ball is pretty much a road map except for tables that call for safties.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-11-2004, 09:30 AM
I don't care how good a 9-ball player you are, if you don't know the moves in 1-pocket you're dog meat.

Wally <~~ definitely does not know the moves.

woody_968
08-11-2004, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I don't care how good a 9-ball player you are, if you don't know the moves in 1-pocket you're dog meat.

Wally &lt;~~ definitely does not know the moves. <hr /></blockquote>

Tap Tap Tap , er , I mean WOOF WOOF WOOF /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
08-11-2004, 10:01 AM
It would be very unusual for a road player to want to play only one pocket or just ask cold to play one pocket at all. The game can be slow and is hard to hustle at. 9 ball is a fast money game that appeals to everyone. If they really wanted to play they would have played 9 ball. Rule of thumb is, when you go into a place you have to play what the locals want to play. They were not road players or really looking to play, just woof. I guarantee you could not have won anything from them.

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Bow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yeh.

That would be me.

C.C.~~chopped dog meat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
08-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap. Too many road players with reps.

shoutout33
08-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Bassmaster,

I agree with most of the responses here. If everthing is equal, as far as both players skill levels, with one being proficient in one-pocket and the other in 9-ball, the player who plays one-pocket is going to have an edge.

I know this from personal experience. I absolutely loooovveeee one-pocket when I can play it and I feel the exact same way 9-ball! IMO, I'm a better 9-ball player than one-pocket, but I feel I can mentally change my mind game to play one pocket pretty good.

Even at my lvl (say a strong 3/weak 4 APA), I can use what I learn in one-pocket and apply it easily to 9-ball. One thing that one-pocket has taught me and what I'm continually trying to learn, is that there are so many options on every shot.

Unless you have to do something like knock a ball away from your opponents pocket, you could find on one shot about 5 different ways to play the CB...or something like that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is so much you can do in one-pocket! It's a very creative game.

People would have me snookered in some tight spots in 9-ball and wonder how in the hell I'd get out of them most of the time, and all I could tell them was, "I play one-pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
08-11-2004, 10:23 AM
I got to tell you, I used to run around the south and would play games that it seemed like they were making up the rules as we were playing, especially in black pool rooms. They played games you never heard of. You better not be a lock artist and try to go on the road.

woody_968
08-11-2004, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote shoutout33:</font><hr> Bassmaster,

you could find on one shot about 5 different ways to play the CB...or something like that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is so much you can do in one-pocket! It's a very creative game.

<hr /></blockquote>

Glad to see you are finding the pleasures of one pocket /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As you learn the game I think you will find there are not really as many options as what first appear. While it is a very creative game, and there are several shots that you can play, there are normally one or two choices that are far better than the others available. IMO that is what makes a good one pocket player, not just seeing all the options, but consistently knowing which move is the best to make and why.

Now if you really want to learn a game that looks like it has options try learning straight pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif There are many ways to get though a rack, but only by choosing good patterns consistently can one really get good at straight pool.

shoutout33
08-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Yeah Woody I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Straight pool is the greatest thing going in pocket billiards except the actual creation of it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Trust me I know where you're going with this and I agree with you 210%, but here on the east coast (well specifically the DC Metro area...) it seems all they care about here is 8-ball, APA or other wise. You have to hunt down where some one-pocket is to be played and I don't have a clue as to where I can find some 14.1 yet. I don't have my car (or my cue for that matter...) yet, so I have to be patient.

I just hope I can find some people to play with and don't have to gamble to do so. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif 'Cuz I'm not going to. I'll play one-pocket against myself before I do that! Not knocking gambling or those who do it (it actually makes some games interesting to tell you the truth...) but I don't like it when you want to learn something from better player and feel you have to make them "earn" something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

smfsrca
08-11-2004, 11:31 AM
I like the way Cory breaks. He knows a strong one pocket player may be able to equal or better him in moves but will not make balls better. One pocket players love to think of themselves as strong ball movers as opposed to ball makers. The Cory 8 Ball style break forces the movers hand and takes time away from his game. You call it unprofessional. I would think a one-pocket player, who always brags about how one pocket is a thinking players game, would consider this the smart move for Cory.

woody_968
08-11-2004, 11:33 AM
I know what you mean, for a long time 9ball was the only thing played around here. But it only takes a few people to start playing a different game and others will follow. One pocket is starting to come along around here. And I have been pushing to play more straight pool, and have been able to play with 3 or 4 different people so far, and have heard of others that want to play.

rukiddingme
08-11-2004, 03:07 PM
ONE POCKET = CHESS
9 BALL = CHECKERS

ruk

Chris Cass
08-12-2004, 02:23 AM
hahahha

Your saying that Cory is deeper than I believe he really is. Ask Grady what he thinks of Cory' break. Matter of fact ask the entire DCC players what they think. Cory is a 9 ball player and yes, he thinks he'd be btter off out shooting these players but I don't see him beating up on Joyner but I really didn't think he would have beaten Shannon D either.

Ball movers? Naa, One Pocket players know how to play safe and leave you looking at their pocket, not yours. I never said unprofessional. I like Cory and think he's more professional than most. It's Cory' idea that breaking the way he does is will put most of the balls bouncing back to his side. I believe I heard that when asked the same question on a DCC tape? Grady can answer that question.

Me braging? GF yourself, hows that for professional.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-12-2004, 02:37 AM
Now I know what your talking about. I was refering to my advice. Not Cory or his play. I just think Cory has a non traditional break. The braging thing is why I gave the GFY statement.

Thanks Steve,

C.C.

piglit
08-12-2004, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> I like the way Cory breaks. He knows a strong one pocket player may be able to equal or better him in moves but will not make balls better. One pocket players love to think of themselves as strong ball movers as opposed to ball makers. The Cory 8 Ball style break forces the movers hand and takes time away from his game. You call it unprofessional. I would think a one-pocket player, who always brags about how one pocket is a thinking players game, would consider this the smart move for Cory.
<hr /></blockquote>

We are always entitled to our own opinion(s), but I gotta tell you...there's a reason that the 1P break came to be. It is the best choice.

Even Corey ditched that 8B break, when he's playing anyone who can play...

-piga

Rod
08-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I agree if they're road players they play all games. Wouldn't it be nice to walk in every room and have them play your favorite game! Well it didn't happen then and it ain't happening now. Well you can always get lucky.

Rod

Chris Cass
08-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Funny story Popcorn,

The yesterday 2 guys came in from Chicago and got on the table next to mine. I recognized the one guy because he was in about 3 mths ago. I had approached him to play after watching him play for 4 hrs. He declined and told me he was in town for a job he was doing. He played pretty sporty and shot with a S.W. and that was my initial conversation started out.

Now, his friend I didn't know but they were playing and nothing was said. My shooting partner leaned over to me and said, these guys shoot great and were probably road players. He kept on saying to me that he was wondering where they were from.

This went on for about 15 mins till I got fed up and told him. They're from Chicago. Can't you see the Chicago Cubs shirt he's wearing? He said, I don't know? I said, I know the one guy and he does gamble but is working in town again.

I talked with them a bit before they left and the one guy was trying to sell a Sledgehammer for 300. I told him that they sold at the Open for that. He went on to say he would take a little less. I replied, well, you won't sell it here if your looking for anything over $250. these guys won't part easy with money.

He told me that he only had 250 in the cue. It could have been stolen but I feel it wasn't and that he just needed money. I told them who to talk to without waisting their time. I think the guy offered 100. I don't know what happened and the one guy I remembered told me that they were in town doing another job and would catch up with me later. Nioce guys but that goes to show that some players think everyone who isn't from town is a road dog. My opponet still insisted they were road players and had told the entire room. These guys didn't even ask for a game.

Regards,

C.C.

onepocketfanatic
08-12-2004, 11:28 PM
The hall that I frequent here is a mix. We have some excellent one pocket players, and some excellent 9 ballers too. Actually many of the "hot shot" 9 ballers are starting to play one pocket a lot more, but it is very seldom you see any of the one pocket players 9 balling it. All of the better player in this hall play on the 9 footers.
I agree that one pocket is kind of like chess, but also you have to be able to make bank shots (at a minimum of 1-3 rails), and above all, you must know exactly where the cue is going at all times. You are playing a LOT of safes in one pocket (hopefully giving yourself a shot if you make the ball, and not giving your foe one if you miss)You also must be able to make caroms, as well as a lot of combinations if you are going to beat the better players.
I think one of the main differences between the mind set of people that play these two games is...one pocket you have to make 8 balls to win....in 9 ball you have to make one ball to win.
I think they are both good games, and just love to watch the really good players play. No matter the game, if you are going to get decent playing it, you have to put in a lot of hour of practic, and take some a$$ whoppins to boot (I always prefer to play a better player since I learn, and it makes me stay focussed that much harder).
Happy 9 balling, one pocketin it, or straight poolin it to you all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NH_Steve
08-13-2004, 05:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassmaster:</font><hr> Last weekend a couple of road players came into the pool hall challenging anyone "get your best player in here" type to a game of 1 pocket. Not many players here play one pocket. However some good 9 ball players were there. The roadies didnt want to play 9 ball, the 9 ball playeres didnt want to play 1 pocket..so no action.
Anyway would'nt a great 1 pocket player be great in 9 ball or vise versa... or the games too different? <hr /></blockquote>Like any other pool game, it takes a great pool player to play great One Pocket -- just like any other game. If you look at the winners at any major One Pocket event, they are always strong all around players -- Joyner, Reyes, Daulton, and on and on -- and it has always been that way.

However, if you drop down the skill level a ways, down towards the B player realm, you'll find skilled One Pocket movers that would definitely not want to tangle with a local 9-ball hot shot, while they might take on a local at One Pocket. At that level, their knowledge of One Pocket elevates their game more relative to 9-ball IMO, because like others have said, One Pocket has a bigger learning curve, more specialty shots and more strategy in every phase -- all angles that favor a more experienced player!

NH_Steve
08-13-2004, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> I like the way Cory breaks. He knows a strong one pocket player may be able to equal or better him in moves but will not make balls better. One pocket players love to think of themselves as strong ball movers as opposed to ball makers. The Cory 8 Ball style break forces the movers hand and takes time away from his game. You call it unprofessional. I would think a one-pocket player, who always brags about how one pocket is a thinking players game, would consider this the smart move for Cory.
<hr /></blockquote>Rumor has it that Corey used that break more as a lark, and because he didn't really want to be seen as a One Pocket player. Sure he won a few games, but over time he'd have been eaten alive by top One Pocket players, because they can shoot, too.

Now, if he used that break on me -- maybe a different story, 'cuz I might not get out despite all those loose balls all over the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif -- but throw that rack out there for most top One Pocket players and they'll burn you.

There's an old saying in One Pocket that the best move is 8 and out -- and believe me, there are plenty of One Pocket shooters out there besides Corey that can make that move -- even if the balls aren't wide open!!

Deeman2
08-13-2004, 12:51 PM
Hey, One pocket...

Where do you live? i just moved to Texas and have not found anyone who plays one pocket. I'm in Longview. Don't tell me your in El Paso!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Deeman

Scott Lee
08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
Deeman...check your PM's

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com (http://www.poolknowledge.com)

SPetty
08-13-2004, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>...check your PM's<hr /></blockquote>Hi Scott,

Please send me a PM - when're you coming thru?