PDA

View Full Version : Watching Poker pros online

UWPoolGod
08-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Was watching Daniel Negraneu (sp?) play heads up against someone he knew from a tourney in Paris for $5000. Daniel lost on a pair of 6's when the flop came 2 3 K and his opponent held A K. Tough one.

Also this years WSOP holdem champ "Fossilman" Raymer is playing $75/$150 limit hi/lo Omaha right now. pretty cool watching these guys play even if it is online. Saw Raymer lose a hand to 4 of a kind Aces for a few grand. Anyone can get the cards.

Singlemalt
08-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Some of the best action of online poker is on Ultimate Bet. Check the $25/$50 NL table.....

TomBrooklyn
08-15-2004, 08:47 PM
Will there be more pro action at this site, UW? What site is it anyway? TBk

TomBrooklyn
08-15-2004, 08:49 PM
What makes the action at Ultimate Bet better than any of the other online poker sites, SingleMalt? TBk

catscradle
08-16-2004, 04:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Singlemalt:</font><hr> Some of the best action of online poker is on Ultimate Bet. Check the $25/$50 NL table..... <hr /></blockquote>

It's always puzzled me about online poker, how can you play the person? To my way of thinking what separates a real card player from somebody who just knows the odds of any particular hand winning is ability to "read" their opponent. It would seemed this phase of the game is severely hampered online.

UWPoolGod
08-16-2004, 08:23 AM
Forgot the site...that was at PokerStars.

JPB
08-16-2004, 08:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Singlemalt:</font><hr> Some of the best action of online poker is on Ultimate Bet. Check the $25/$50 NL table..... <hr /></blockquote>

It's always puzzled me about online poker, how can you play the person? To my way of thinking what separates a real card player from somebody who just knows the odds of any particular hand winning is ability to "read" their opponent. It would seemed this phase of the game is severely hampered online.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes and no. At the top levels players put other players on hands based on patterns of play and probabilities more than stare downs, tells, talking, etc.... They know how players play and put players on ranges of hands. A top player isn't going to give you a solid basis for some read based on looking at him anyway. They also use odds to determine what a player holds, not just the odds of a certain hand winning. The best players also use game theory strategies to throw other players off. So yeah, in some respects internet poker is a lot different. OTOH, the top players don't do a lot of old cowboy BS like people think big poker players do. Some of the guys who pretend to be cowboy like have a great working understanding of the math underlying the game. Other players who claimed to be great people readers and feel players are losing their bankrolls to better players or moving down in stakes. Reading people is a part of poker, but don't think for a minute that what really separates the "real" players is the ability to look into an opponents eye and know what he has. Players make reads on many bases, not just some physical tell.

UWPoolGod
08-17-2004, 08:08 AM
Played in a Freeroll (free) limit holdem tourney yesterday with 6382 players. Ended up getting 12th place, not too bad. Top nine spots got an entry into an actual money tourney. Sad thing is that I was playing in it at work and after hours one of my co-workers decided to come talk to me for 20 minutes and in that time on not playing and still posting the blinds I lost 2/3 my stack when I was in 5th chip position. Lame. Oh well...serves me right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif