PDA

View Full Version : Left or Right

Jeff_T
08-11-2004, 09:24 PM
This may seem like a strange question, but can you guys give me some advice as to which hand I should use to play pool?

I can't figure out whether I'm left handed or right handed, I shoot almost equally well with both. Left handed I seem to shoot straighter more consistently but I can't manipulate the cue ball as well. Right handed it feels like a I have better feel and more control over the cue ball but I often miss shots that I should be making.

To confuse matters more, the left hand feels better shooting with a 9-ball cue, but I don't think I play as well as I do with the right. Snooker cues it's 50/50, though when I'm using the bridge I always use my right hand.

Breaking feels more natural right-handed, but I sink more balls on average with the left.

Obviously there are advantages to being able to use both hands, but I also find it a disadvantage switching between the two mid-game because it sometimes throws me out of whack and disturbs my stroke. It's also hard trying to choose which hand to shoot with on pressure shots, and I often feel the reason I miss is because I used the wrong hand.

I understand this is a hard thing to comment on without watching me play, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. So far everyone I've asked hasn't had much of an answer. Should I pick one hand and stick with it, or should I play with both hands equally?

PQQLK9
08-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Well I don't know what to say? Tell me this ...which of your eyes is dominate, which hand do you write with, which hand do you hit a baseball with, which hand do you bowl with,which hand do you eat or cut with if you do these things?

Ralph S.
08-11-2004, 10:15 PM
My thoughts exactly. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
08-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Jeff...As an instructor, I'd tell you to continue to develop both hands equally. Ambidexterity in pool is the ultimate advantage, imo...and very, very few people ever gain a high level of skill with both hands. Practice easy shots, and do them both right and left-handed, until you cannot miss either way. Hope this helps! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott Lee

Jimmy B
08-12-2004, 12:11 AM
Lefties and Asians scare me on the pool table, I'm not sure if this helps but it seems a large number of top players seem to be left handed, at least more then the general population, I may be wrong about this but I'm often drunk.

JB

pooltchr
08-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Scott,
Would you agree that since he seems to have both hands working physically, that it might just be a case of not being quite in alignment as well when he is shooting right handed. He said he feels he has more control, which would indicate sound fundamentals, but misses shots he feels he should be making, which to me might be the result of just being out of alignment.
I haven't had any students bring this up, so I don't have any actual experience to back this up. Would like your thoughts on this.
Randyg, if you pick up on this one, I would really like your opinion as well.
Steve

Chris Cass
08-12-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi Jeff,

Which is your dominate eye?

C.C.

woody_968
08-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Steve, that was my very first thought when I read his post. I have worked on both hands lately and one thing I noticed was I really had to work at getting the right alignment.

More specifically I would say the position of the eyes above the cue. This would be the first thing I would check. IMO the cue should either be under the dominate eye or centered between the eyes, and should be placed in the same position for either hand.

Sid_Vicious
08-12-2004, 03:03 PM
"I can't figure out whether I'm left handed or right handed, I shoot almost equally well with both. Left handed I seem to shoot straighter more consistently but I can't manipulate the cue ball as well. Right handed it feels like a I have better feel and more control over the cue ball but I often miss shots that I should be making."

I fully understand where you are coming from. I too have wondered whether I was forced to be a rightie when I was a toddler, but was really a left handed person. My pool game is exactly like yours, right plays well for me, and yet I can manage a left handed game with consistency beyond the right handed one on some occasions. I once snapped 3 nines in a row left handed, NEVER even came close to that right handed, and I have broken right handed predominantly for many years, much more sample time. All in all though I'd say to stick with the right hand as a primary hand to use, but make your left side part of your practice routine. If you are anything like me, you'll have far better draw and follow control using an off hand rather than using the bridge. It's great being able to switch without any thought on the matter, even I myself lose the fact that it happens sometimes with my own switches. I'd guess you would call that the RL-zone, huh...sid~~~does diddle around playing predominantly left handed at times though, cuz who really knows?

Troy
08-12-2004, 05:57 PM
You don't mention your age.
I was confused as a kid, being able to do almost everything equally well with either hand. I now am primarily left-handed but seldom use the bridge since I just shoot those shots right-handed. Not being good with the bridge is a bad thing though... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I suggest you practice with both sides but don't forget to also practice with the bridge... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif When it becomes important, you'll settle on one side primarily.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jeff_T:</font><hr> This may seem like a strange question, but can you guys give me some advice as to which hand I should use to play pool?

I can't figure out whether I'm left handed or right handed, I shoot almost equally well with both. Left handed I seem to shoot straighter more consistently but I can't manipulate the cue ball as well. Right handed it feels like a I have better feel and more control over the cue ball but I often miss shots that I should be making.

To confuse matters more, the left hand feels better shooting with a 9-ball cue, but I don't think I play as well as I do with the right. Snooker cues it's 50/50, though when I'm using the bridge I always use my right hand.

Breaking feels more natural right-handed, but I sink more balls on average with the left.

Obviously there are advantages to being able to use both hands, but I also find it a disadvantage switching between the two mid-game because it sometimes throws me out of whack and disturbs my stroke. It's also hard trying to choose which hand to shoot with on pressure shots, and I often feel the reason I miss is because I used the wrong hand.

I understand this is a hard thing to comment on without watching me play, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. So far everyone I've asked hasn't had much of an answer. Should I pick one hand and stick with it, or should I play with both hands equally? <hr /></blockquote>

Jeff_T
08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm 18 years old, I write right-handed, swing a baseball bat right-handed, throw things right-handed, and am far stronger with my right arm. I'm right handed for everything except pool. My left eye is my dominant eye. Personally, I think I have a more technically sound stroke when shooting left-handed.

With the right it feels natural with the cue centered between my eyes, but with the left I quite often have the cue under my left (dominant) eye.

I'm thinking that the best course of action would be to have a couple of lessons and get the right-handed stroke fixed up, then play mostly right-handed and only use the left when the shots come up. But on the other hand it's nice being able to switch between the two without thinking, and a huge advantage on a snooker table. I often switch without even noticing it, but when pressure situations come up, that's when it starts to mess with my mind.

Troy, I don't really practice with the bridge because I've only ever used it a half dozen times on a table 9ft or less.

brian_
08-13-2004, 01:16 AM
Your starting to sound alot like me. Almost everything that's done with one hand I'm right handed, if it takes 2 hands I'm left. Dominate eye is my left. I shoot left handed because I have more control over speed with my left, even thought I can shoot right handed and much like you have alittle better stroke right handed.

So the one question I would ask you no one else has is are you right or left handed when whatever it is takes 2 hands?

Jeff_T
08-13-2004, 05:43 AM
I'm right handed for absolutely everything you can think of except for pool.

Troy
08-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Since you're dominantly right-handed, I suggest concentrating on that side but be sure to maintain your ability with the left hand. You can't go wrong taking lessons from a competent instructor.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jeff_T:</font><hr> I'm 18 years old, I write right-handed, swing a baseball bat right-handed, throw things right-handed, and am far stronger with my right arm. I'm right handed for everything except pool. My left eye is my dominant eye. Personally, I think I have a more technically sound stroke when shooting left-handed.

With the right it feels natural with the cue centered between my eyes, but with the left I quite often have the cue under my left (dominant) eye.

I'm thinking that the best course of action would be to have a couple of lessons and get the right-handed stroke fixed up, then play mostly right-handed and only use the left when the shots come up. But on the other hand it's nice being able to switch between the two without thinking, and a huge advantage on a snooker table. I often switch without even noticing it, but when pressure situations come up, that's when it starts to mess with my mind.

Troy, I don't really practice with the bridge because I've only ever used it a half dozen times on a table 9ft or less.
<hr /></blockquote>

woody_968
08-13-2004, 09:16 AM
I have a friend that is right handed, but she plays pool left handed. She plays well!