PDA

View Full Version : 107 Degrees here yesterday

Tom_In_Cincy
08-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Wow, was it HOT! but on the 'bright' side, it is going to be a great weekend, only highs in the 90s and maybe high 80s. Humidity levels are in the TEENS. So, any breeze has a good cooling effect. And there has been breezes.

Lows have been in the 60s. Great open window nites.

It hasn't rained (except sprinkles overnite) since MARCH.
Winter is the rainy season around here.

Lots of bright sunny days with cool mornings and cool late evenings.

I've been watching the east coast weather for the last week. I sure hope all the bad weather will steer out to the ocean rather than hit any coast lines.

catscradle
08-12-2004, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wow, was it HOT! but on the 'bright' side, it is going to be a great weekend, only highs in the 90s and maybe high 80s. Humidity levels are in the TEENS. So, any breeze has a good cooling effect. And there has been breezes.
Lows have been in the 60s. Great open window nites.

It hasn't rained (except sprinkles overnite) since MARCH.
Winter is the rainy season around here.

Lots of bright sunny days with cool mornings and cool late evenings.

I've been watching the east coast weather for the last week. I sure hope all the bad weather will steer out to the ocean rather than hit any coast lines. <hr /></blockquote>

A little over 30 years ago for 4 years I was in the service at Travis AFB about 30 miles west of Sacramento right on Rt 80. As I recall it stopped raining just about in March and didn't rain again until November, then it didn't stop for all practical purposes until the next March. Sunny California my butt, I couldn't wait to leave. I was so anxious to leave the service and California behind that I drove to Massachusetts in 71.5 hours all by myself.
Wait until Nov. you'll have all the rain you can handle. Oh yeah, the one good point all that rain is snow in the Sierra Nevadas. Don't go east without chains.

Rod
08-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Believe me Tom I feel your pain, lol It gets rather warm here too. At least you get a break from high temps at night. I could miss Cali in some areas just for the weather. I could but not likely until I take my butt out of the frying pan. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd like Phoenix winters and Cali summers.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
08-12-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm jealous! Here in central PA, we haven't had any temps over 85. Our temps are 15 degrees below normal. Nights have gone into the mid 50's and highs of the mid to upper 70's. I haven't been in my pool all year. I'm ready to close it. Unfortunately it looks like the temps won't get real high this year.

DG - no tan lines for me

Wally_in_Cincy
08-13-2004, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> ...Nights have gone into the mid 50's and highs of the mid to upper 70's....<hr /></blockquote>

same here.

We had fairly warm weather up until about 2 weeks ago. My tomatoes and peppers were going gangbusters. Then suddenly it cooled off and they stopped ripening.

at least we don't need to run the AC.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2004, 09:42 AM
I use to live in Blackstone MA when I was a young pup. Moved to Memphis TN and lived there until 1987 and then to Cincinnati OH. Huge range of temperature changes. I've seen it snow on Holloween and Thanksgiving. I've also been golfing Christmas week.

Sunny California suits me just fine. I wake up to sunshine and smiles almost every day.

It just gets real hot in the afternoons.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Yeah.. but it's a DRY heat.. LOL

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I check temps in Cincinnati often. My youngest son is still there. I have noticed that the MidWest is enjoying an unusually cool August. Maybe that is a sign of a MILD winter? NOT.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2004, 09:46 AM
Wally,
Have you had any days with the temps in the 90s?

Wally_in_Cincy
08-13-2004, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,
Have you had any days with the temps in the 90s? <hr /></blockquote>

Two. Back in July.

Wally_in_Cincy
08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I check temps in Cincinnati often. My youngest son is still there. I have noticed that the MidWest is enjoying an unusually cool August. Maybe that is a sign of a MILD winter? NOT. <hr /></blockquote>

It's no doubt the global warming thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
08-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi Tom. Here in northern Indiana, the temps have been perfect as far as I am concerned. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Most recently the highs have been high 70's to very low 80's with minimal humidity, slight overcast, and a great breeze.

catscradle
08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I use to live in Blackstone MA when I was a young pup. Moved to Memphis TN and lived there until 1987 and then to Cincinnati OH. Huge range of temperature changes. I've seen it snow on Holloween and Thanksgiving. I've also been golfing Christmas week.

Sunny California suits me just fine. I wake up to sunshine and smiles almost every day.

It just gets real hot in the afternoons. <hr /></blockquote>

Blackstone, that down by RI? Must have really been the sticks that long ago.
It does get hot, plus Travis was built in the Suisun ("big wind" in some indian language) Valley by the navy originally because the winds approached those on an aircraft carrier. That wind was a lot of fun. Playing softball in August was like playing on concrete, the ground was hard as a rock. Had these big gutters on the side of the road. I arrived in March and didn't figure out what they were for until November.
Still and all, it beat the hell out of Vietnam in 1968. (Christ that's almost 40 years ago not 30, gettin' old) I think Travis was the busiest Airport in the world at that time. Healthy young men out, body bags and injured people back (for some reason they flew the intact returnees into commercial airports). You know maybe that's why I disliked California so much, not the weather at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Rod
08-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Ha Ha Ya it's a dry heat here to. Now comes the monsoon season, it easily gets 107 here but add that July - August humidity, wow. I guarantee you it's not the best season to play pool. AC helps dry things out but it's easy to tell the difference in playing conditions.

I'd rather have winter conditions for two months than excessive heat and humidity. Yes, that includes snow and all. Just on the light side though. LOL

Rod

Chris Cass
08-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi Tom,

I'm a bit worried about the humidity in VA this yr. Do you think it'll be as bad as last yrs?

Regards,

C.C.~~cooler here but comfortable and I like it.

dg-in-centralpa
08-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks Tom - you just ruined my day. I am not a winter person at all. Oh well.... as long as I have enough "anti-freeze" in the house I'll be fine.

DG - hates winter the older I get

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
GAWD, I hope NOT.

I've been enjoying humidity levels in the TEENs for the last 6 months.

I just hope the weather is better than last years. (of course, that isn't saying too much is it?) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2004, 03:41 PM
yeah, Blackstone is just across the border from Woonsocket RI.(another small town, or was 'way long ago')