PDA

View Full Version : Tips

KingMing
08-12-2004, 12:55 PM
You must get questions all the time for advice on equipment such as tips, but I'm really quite stuck.

My cue is currently in need of being re-tipped for the first time. I have succesfully tipped a number of 9 and 10mm snooker cues, which is really quite easy, but am wary of doing my comparatively gigantic 13mm tip in the same way. Basically, if anyone has any suggestions regarding tip types/brands, adhesive and techniques, even if someone could simply show me a website that might help me with this, it would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know any UK-based sites/shops that sell quality/recommended american cue tips? If I order abroad I'll end up paying 4 times the price of the tip on customs charges!

Many Thanks,
Ming
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
08-12-2004, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, does anyone know any UK-based sites/shops that sell quality/recommended american cue tips? <hr /></blockquote>

Heck, most of what we buy isn't american. lol How do you do small tips? It's better if you have a lathe or spinning attachment so it can be trued even. If your real careful it can be hand trimmed, then finished with a 1"wide nail board.

I did them by hand for years, it's a lot of work. Protecting the ferrule is a must. You could put a wrap of masking or electrical tape around the ferrule during the hand massage process as I call it. By hand takes time but if your careful it still looks good.

Remember the next time you sand or rough a tip. Every bit you take off just puts you closer to doing another tip by hand!

Rod

Wally_in_Cincy
08-12-2004, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingMing:</font><hr> ....Also, does anyone know any UK-based sites/shops that sell quality/recommended american cue tips? If I order abroad I'll end up paying 4 times the price of the tip on customs charges!

Many Thanks,
Ming
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

try this

http://www.americanpool-network.co.uk/shop/default.asp

Chris Cass
08-12-2004, 06:51 PM
What's your current cues brand name? Did you like what was on there? Also, what type of install have you been doing? I suggest you buy several so a one time cost, that will last you awhile.

Regards,

C.C.

Troy
08-12-2004, 08:04 PM
The technique for a 13mm shaft is nearly the same as a 9-10mm Snooker except for the brass ferrule. Brass is far more foregiving than the ferrule on a Pool cue. As Rod said, it can be done by hand, you just need to be extremely careful. Wrapping the ferrule for protection is a good idea.
Sorry, but I can't help with a UK source.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KingMing:</font><hr> You must get questions all the time for advice on equipment such as tips, but I'm really quite stuck.

My cue is currently in need of being re-tipped for the first time. I have succesfully tipped a number of 9 and 10mm snooker cues, which is really quite easy, but am wary of doing my comparatively gigantic 13mm tip in the same way. Basically, if anyone has any suggestions regarding tip types/brands, adhesive and techniques, even if someone could simply show me a website that might help me with this, it would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know any UK-based sites/shops that sell quality/recommended american cue tips? If I order abroad I'll end up paying 4 times the price of the tip on customs charges!

Many Thanks,
Ming
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>