PDA

View Full Version : Woman stuck to couch, literally

landshark77
08-12-2004, 06:38 PM
STUART, Fla. -- A 480-pound Martin County woman has died after emergency workers tried to remove her from the couch where she had remained for about six years....Emergency workers had to remove some sliding glass doors and lift the couch, with Grinds still on it, to a trailer behind a pickup truck. Removing her from the couch would be too painful, since her body was grafted to the fabric. After years of staying put, her skin had literally become one with the sofa and had to be surgically removed.... (Whole story here (http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html) .)

This is totally unbelieveable! I would have swore it was a hoax. How is someone just going to lay on the couch and their skin graft with the fabric?

Rod
08-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Well, who ever let her sit there sure didn't do her any good. I mean she had to eat. Get your fat a$$ up and eat. LOL I didn't read the story, that's just to disgusting.

Rod

Cueless Joey
08-12-2004, 09:57 PM
That's taking couch potato to the extreme level.
How 'bout that 800-pound man a few years back?

landshark77
08-12-2004, 10:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> That's taking couch potato to the extreme level.
How 'bout that 800-pound man a few years back? <hr /></blockquote>

The guy that was on Springer that couldn't get outta bed?

Cueless Joey
08-12-2004, 11:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> That's taking couch potato to the extreme level.

The guy that was on Springer that couldn't get outta bed? <hr /></blockquote>
Yup. He died too. They had to chainsaw his windows and crane him out too.

Chris Cass
08-13-2004, 12:37 AM
I can't understand why these people wern't helped before it came to something that horiffic? It's uterly obsurd. Where are the loved ones? They had to have someone that loved them. Someone had to feed them or get the food. Why isn't anyone responsible enough to get something going to try to help these people? Seems to me it's a type of mental sickness or what they say a behavior disorder.

I'm no doctor but it would seem something was going on upstairs? They also should have some laws in place to devote public assistance in helping the ones without any family. it's a damm shame. I guess one could say no to all of it. Look at the homeless dying on the streets everyday. Nobody even looks at them, let alone want to help them. It's like they don't exist. Crazy world we live in.

Regards,

C.C.

PQQLK9
08-13-2004, 03:17 AM
My sentiments exactly, these misinformed "enablers" really do them no good whether it's food, drugs or whatever.

CarolNYC
08-13-2004, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where are the loved ones? They had to have someone that loved them <hr /></blockquote>
Yep!
Very sad!
Carol

catscradle
08-13-2004, 04:56 AM
Some people will think I'm cruel, but absolutely no sympathy will be expended towards this woman or her family by me. Her people should have just walked away and let her starve on the coach about 300 lbs ago, she would have got off the couch. The stupidity of humans never fails to amaze me!

Wally_in_Cincy
08-13-2004, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> That's taking couch potato to the extreme level.

The guy that was on Springer that couldn't get outta bed? <hr /></blockquote>
Yup. He died too. They had to chainsaw his windows and crane him out too. <hr /></blockquote>

that was in hamiltucky, over on mosler ave., behind the old mosler safe company.

Cueless Joey
08-13-2004, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that was in hamiltucky, over on mosler ave., behind the old mosler safe company. <hr /></blockquote>
Sounds like you delivered pizza to him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
08-13-2004, 09:15 AM
No offence Cat,

But mental illness a problem and one we all have to face. So many that cannot help themselves. The mind is so controlling and we have to be open to see this as a problem that plages us for the good of all.

Like cigarette addictions or anything else. Sometimes we need others to intervien in what is good for them as we ourselves are blinded from the addiction.

You have your right to have your own opinion and I respect that more than anyone. I don't concider you a calass person in the least. It's these things that come apperent when it hits home. Too bad many see things or rather don't till it does hit home. just a fact of life and will go on till the end of time.

Regards,

C.C.

catscradle
08-13-2004, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> No offence Cat,

But mental illness a problem and one we all have to face. So many that cannot help themselves. The mind is so controlling and we have to be open to see this as a problem that plages us for the good of all.

Like cigarette addictions or anything else. Sometimes we need others to intervien in what is good for them as we ourselves are blinded from the addiction.

You have your right to have your own opinion and I respect that more than anyone. I don't concider you a calass person in the least. It's these things that come apperent when it hits home. Too bad many see things or rather don't till it does hit home. just a fact of life and will go on till the end of time.

Regards,

C.C.

<hr /></blockquote>
No offense taken.
The problem isn't mental illness that I have the problem with. Treat the mental illness fine, but mental illness or not, all her family had to do was not deliver food to her and she would have got off that damn couch. You don't have to be a psychologist or even smart to figure that out. If you don't want your cat to eat on the bed you put his food in the kitchen, it's really simple and there is no excuse. The article mentioned that they were considering charges against the guy. I don't think that's appropriate, but I don't think sympathy is either, sympathy was what created the problem. A little applied operant conditioning (think Skinner box) would have got her moving. What's the old expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", sometimes you have to be heartless.
If intervention had occurred I'm sure it would have been in the form of talk therapy or some other meaningless praddle supported by the establishment. They would have kept her weight "under control" at 250 lbs or something (4'10" don't forget) and talked about her early childhood and glandular problems and she would have still died too young, just a little slower.
Life is sometimes good, sometimes bad, and sometimes "FUBAR". When it is "FUBAR" sometimes we just have to shake our head and move on.

Chris Cass
08-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi Cat,

I hear ya. I really think her parents needed to be responsible to begin with too. Tell me, they didn't see a problem in early life? The reason I feel that it's more of a mental illness. Is that she, had to have had a clue so early and yet still, nobody says or does anything? There should be someone that's held responsible. Odviously, the victim wasn't. It's basically suicide in my eyes and I think that's illegal.

I don't know? I can and see your point everyday. Starting with small children and I'm guilty too, to an extent, with my son. He's got a few lbs he could get rid of. Myself and Heide do take control of his intake. Mainly he's growing up but the problem is, the up part. I feel that a routine physical examination should be employed with concilling from the dr. and help from us.

It's hard for me because, I'm Italian and we like to see people eat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif He's still growing and he does stay plenty actice. I've seen worse and I've seen neglectful parents too. I don't say a word because it's not my place but at home? My kid is going to be towing the line. I'll be dammed if he starts killing what I have been a part of creating. I don't like to bring it up constantly to him and we have disgust it with him and our plans. He totally agrees but I won't through it up in his face all the time. Seems though that other do. That makes me mad too. He's starting 7th grade this yr and kids can be really cruel to one another too. We do workon it togather and I just want to make sure he's mentally aware of the problem that could take place in life later on. Deniel, Stress stuff like that.

Regards,

C.C.

landshark77
08-13-2004, 03:58 PM
The article said something about an man and kids that lived with her. It also said they were investigating a posible neglect case on his part.

bsmutz
08-13-2004, 04:14 PM
I look at this type of thing as a symptom of a much larger problem with our society. When I was a boy growing up, people knew each other. I lived in a fairly large city in southern California. We knew everyone who lived in our neighborhood, what their names were, how many kids they had, etc. As time has passed, people have become so engrossed in their own lives that people now live and die without anyone knowing they existed. After two years I have met three of my neighbors, but know little or nothing about them. Not everywhere is like this, I know and some places are much worse, but it seems like more and more people are being discarded or ignored by the rest of society, allowing this type of person (or worse, Dahmer comes to mind) to exist. We're all just too apathetic anymore! Where's the love?