PDA

View Full Version : slump

dr_billiards
08-13-2004, 04:06 AM
Have any of you guys been in a slump where you couldn't think of what to do?In other words go brain dead at the table. How did you get out of it? I have been playing solid for a week and still no results. It is as if I have forgot everything that I have learned.Stroke doesn't feel right,stance doesn't feel right, and anything that I do is either wrong, or I dead hook myself for my next shot.

CarolNYC
08-13-2004, 04:25 AM
Yep-I call it "brain freeze!"
I try to relax,breathe deeply,slowdown and say "I know I can do this!"
Then make one ball at a time,keeping it as SIMPLE as possible!
Rich R. told me a phrase "draw for flash,follow for cash!"
I like that!

Good luck!
Carol~plays straight pool at home,or at least,tries too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PQQLK9
08-13-2004, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dr_billiards:</font><hr> Have any of you guys been in a slump where you couldn't think of what to do?In other words go brain dead at the table. <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmm,... only at the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, you are lucky.

Chris Cass
08-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Hi DocB,

Many shoot through this time and other suggestions might be ways of getting back to the right track and may work fine for you.

Myself, I've tried taking a few days off to relax and get away from it all but this is what I found to be the best for me.

I drill a straight in shot. I'll set this up and shoot it till I get everything back in line. I pay close attention to my mechanics and my overall follow-though. Stroking just that one ball seems to gain my focus back only doing what we do best anyway, making the one shot at a time.

After I do this drill for a few reps. Who am I kidding. I shoot about a thousand in a weeks time. Averaging 100 at each time min. I'll throw myself out a bit but it comes back soon afterwards. I personally take a break for about a week before everything comes back just to clear my mind and put those negative thoughts of my past play behind me.

That works for me and has been a tool I've been using for quite some time. Others may give you their take and all are very good ways of confronting this common problem. The pros return to basics as taught by their instructors. The instructors know how valuable mechanics are when the mind is concerned.

Just my unprofessional advice,

C.C.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Ya gotta remember, Chris' slumps are closer to what I would consider being in the "ZONE".

I would take Chris' "OFF-Game" anyday.

onepocketfanatic
08-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Just like any other sport (like baseball) I think we all hit "slumps". No matter what I did a few weeks back, it was the wrong thing.
Old Bob at the hall and I play one hole for $5-10 a game just to keep us honest (keeps you honest and not playing wide open). Normally we have some pretty close matches, but a couple of weeks ago I couldn't do anything right, and it seemed he could do no wrong (doesn't it always seem to work out that way?).
I work a rotating shift (including nights and weekends) so it was time for me to get back to work for 4 nights. After coming off the 4 nights (in other words I got away from the game for a few days) we played again. The slump was gone, and not only was it gone, I was shooting better than ever. He even accused me of having a table at work to practice on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I get away from the game for a short while when these slumps occur, and find that often I am hitting the ball better than ever after a short rest. Not only do I hit the ball better, but the mental part of my game has had a rest and it too is better than ever.
One last item of note, when I get into these slumps, I continue to think positive (it is easy for me to start second guessing myself even though I KNOW what to do) and this also helps a ton. I have started playing at noon, couldn't hit a shot, kept the mental part positive,and by 3 PM was playing like God (or at least like that for my game). Hang in there, "this too shall pass".

Chris Cass
08-14-2004, 12:29 AM
That's too funny Tom. Everyone has slumps and set backs. It seems that these set back are a good thing. Even though they mentally knock us down. In reality, when you do come out of it, you start playing better.

Like that plateau you reach and can't seem to get over. My play is pretty consistant but there are times when I need to take some time away. I know you were only joking about my play but I really think these slumps are a way of our minds to readjust to the new understanding of the game at a new level.

Regards,

C.C.~~don't think I don't see right through you Tom. I know a pump when I see one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Thanks, you da man. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#### leonard
08-17-2004, 06:23 AM
Chris here is a method that I used to stay aligned. I would line my feet in a 90o triangle,swing my butt to the right,my cue ran parallel to my left foot and over my right toes and my right eye sighted the shaft. I could go years without playing and in 10 minutes be lined up.####