PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cass and Others...Different Strokes

PastPrime
08-13-2004, 06:35 PM
When you mentioned different strokes used in 1-pocket vs 9-ball it touched a chord with me. I'm a better than average 1-pocket player and a very good golf player but am about a middle of the road player in 9-ball/8-ball. However, if I give up golf and one pocket for a couple of weeks and just play the other games I can get a game going. How do you make the switch back and forth? And another "pernt" (as Carol would say in the privacy of her home), I can always make money in golf but even when I'm playing decent 9-ball I can't make any money because of spotting lesser players and not being able to handle the consistant shooting big boys. I just hate to play the same game all the time. Do you actually change your stroke or can you just adjust it well enough to play all the games.

Chris Cass
08-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi PastPrime,

I know you mean no harm but putting my name on the heading of the post will only get people taking pot shots at me. I already have had enough of that bud.

Now, the changing of the stroke. Disclaimer: (This is totally my opinion and not to be mistaken for an instructor or professional opinion).

I ran across the problems your facing with the changes in games. First with straight pool then, 9 ball, then 8 ball and banks and caroms and you name it. It was a mistery to me for many yrs. I just leaned one pocket about two yrs ago and played it mostly for a yr.

I had a heck of a time playing 9 ball after playing one pocket all that yr. The transition was devistating. I could get it back quickly but it would take some time. Not to mention I added a twist with different size table to boot.

I am glad to tell you that I found the key to it all. First let me talk about my "average" bridge lengths, for these different games. I found my one pocket bridge length is 6-8". My straight pool bridge length would be at 4-6". My 9 ball bridge length is 8-10". My bank pool bridge length is also 8-10". My 8 ball is the same as in straight pool. Carom pool and billiards are the same as my straight pool also. These change with the game.

I've also found out that the mind sets are totally different also. Straight pool, One Pocket, 8 ball, Caroms and 3C Billiards are somewhat the same. These games are quiet games. The stroke is smooth and time and patients are required. #### Leonard descibes this rhythym of play as a dance. It's a soft waltz or two step(fox trot?).

One Pocket is unique in the aspect that your mainly playing cb control rather than ball making your placing the cb. Not saying that you don't need to make balls or even run out but more like placing these balls in your area and keeping control on your side.

9 Ball, is all about running and letting your stroke out. It's the mind set you need to adjust. I do this constanly during play. When playing safe in 9 ball I'll put my mind set into one pocket mode. 9 Ball has a much faster pace, rhythym or dance have you.

You need to make balls in 9 ball and after time the patterns are easy to follow. That in itself speeds up the play. Most 9 ball players get too fast in their play and often costs them. The game has to be quicker but should flow like a dance. It's your dance.

When I switch over to 9 ball from one pocket. I will adjust my bridge length and once I determine where I want whitey to go I'll forget it and get down on the shot and commit myself into making the ball. The cb will go where it should(maybe for the most part /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and my stroke will automatically fall into place.

If you try to change your mind set before going into the game? You'll do good. Just don't force your rhythm into a faster pace. Let it get there on it's own. Just knowing it will be good enough as balls start to become easy to make.

That's all I can try to put into words. #### Leonard could help you more. He's my dance instructor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not meaning to make you feel bad about my name in the sub line but more of a please do this for me type request. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Deeman2
08-14-2004, 07:20 AM
CC:

Tap! Tap! Tap!

Best description of the difference in the games I've ever read!

Deeman

ceebee
08-14-2004, 01:31 PM
YAY CC, I'm coming down for some lessons... mental & physical.

The part about the dance is so true. When I'm in the ZONE, I can feel the dance and the dance pattern is my pre-shot routine. It's effortless as I study the shot. But sometimes, some of the music played & the disrespectful, rude kids at my country town Romper Room is distracting. I lose focus. No focus, no Game. You might be able to wring that disability from my game. Your post says to me that you can maintain your focus.

PastPrime
08-14-2004, 06:25 PM
OK, sorry about using your name but you were the first person I had seen use the illustration of different strokes for different games. When I play golf (with reg. size pool balls on a snooker table)I hit every shot with the RIGHT DISTANCE. I'm trying to make them but if they don't go they will the next shot. Also, for some reason I can make shots in this game. With one pocket I lag to the pocket but sometimes I just flat miss shots that I would knock down in a normal 9-ball game, its like I've never seen the shot before. I have never thought of bridge length or rhythm and timing on the different games. I appreciate your help, you always make a lot of sense in your posts.

Ralph S.
08-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Excellent response Cassman. I never really gave much consideration to what you mentioned, but I am gonna experiment first chance I have. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
08-15-2004, 01:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> YAY CC, I'm coming down for some lessons... mental &amp; physical.

The part about the dance is so true. When I'm in the ZONE, I can feel the dance and the dance pattern is my pre-shot routine. It's effortless as I study the shot. But sometimes, some of the music played &amp; the disrespectful, rude kids at my country town Romper Room is distracting. I lose focus. No focus, no Game. You might be able to wring that disability from my game. Your post says to me that you can maintain your focus. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Charlie,

If the music played by these kids are effecting your focus then, to be brutally honest, you didn't have it to begin with.

Granted, the kids seem to be rude and can be very distractive if they're horseplaying around you while your shooting. That is rude. However, if your focus was really there you wouldn't have heard much. Even if the music is one that drives you insane? Your focus should pull you through it.

Keep in mind that when you were that young things weren't all that different. It helps to confront this. When you do this will be the turning point for you to maintain your focus in your play through adversity.

Funny how we all end up growing into what when we were that age concidered, oldv folks. Even worse, our parents. lol If you try to understand them a bit, you'll get back to what really counts in life. Shooting pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~some music makes me want to commit suicide. the kind that you suicide others and not yourself. lol

Chris Cass
08-15-2004, 01:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PastPrime:</font><hr> I appreciate your help, you always make a lot of sense in your posts. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, there you go. You've done lost your mind. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-15-2004, 01:58 AM
Experimenting is illeagal.

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
08-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks D,

I try to help out as much I can. It's only ones point of view and It may not be right for everyone. It's just the way I look at things is all.

Regards,

C.C.

Rod
08-15-2004, 10:08 PM
I'm in the sense that trying to play one pocket or 14-1 without being warmed up is not good for me. LOL I can switch between Golf, 9 ball, I'll say 8 ball too although I play it seldom. For me if I switch to one pocket or 14-1 without playing another game or warmed up as I said it could be a long day.

I can identify with bridge lengths and where holding the handle. These games have there way of using every combination possible. You need a bridge and length that compliments each shot. Play 9 ball with a shorter 14-1 length and it can throw your rhythm off. That is, if you try to force more power with that length.

When you play 9 ball however (or any game) never forget a short bridge is very useful or even a longer bridge sometimes playing any game.

In general, when I see one pocket played it can consist of many short punch strokes. Take that to the 9 ball arena and you probably dead meat. I hate it if I do that, I try to find fluidity within each bridge length or stroke length. If it's not fluid, it ain't me. LOL

Mine happens to be a little longer, appx 7" to 8" for 14-1 or one pocket. Golf is about the same with appx 9" to 10" for nine ball. As I mentioned just because one varies in length for different games it's not carved in stone. It's what ever is needed for that particular shot.

While I'm thinking of it, accuracy is noted for short lengths. (less room for error). If you can't hit the center of a c/b with a 6" bridge, how you gonna hit it with a 10" bridge? LOL Well practice and fundamentals I suppose.

My brain isn't quite clear tonight, hope I made a little sense. Good post Chris.

Rod

Chris Cass
08-15-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi Rod,

You did make sence to me. We all know that were up and down the wrap on any given game we play. Yes, because of the different shots we have to shoot whether long or short. I was refering to the average bridge length. I also knew you know that too. LOL

What I mainly was trying to convey is, the mind set and the bridge length as the tools needed, to be able to switch games with the confidence and understanding to make the transition easier. This is what I've personally found to work for me.

Yes, nothing is ever in stone and what helps one might not help another. Fluidity is always a must in every game. The game whatever it is your trying to play should be flowing and muscle tension should be at a minimum. That's where the rhythm or dance comes in to play.

#### Leonard made a point and a very good one. You'll recognize it after me saying this. Without being directly at the table, without the ability to hear sounds of what's being said, also without looking at facial expressions. One could automatically see who's winning and who's losing.

This is done purely by sight. Just watch the dance.

Regards,

C.C.~~#### and I are very deep. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
08-16-2004, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>#### Leonard made a point and a very good one. You'll recognize it after me saying this. Without being directly at the table, without the ability to hear sounds of what's being said, also without looking at facial expressions. One could automatically see who's winning and who's losing.
<hr /></blockquote>

Unless it's Efren. That guy looks the same no matter what the score. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
08-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Hi Ross,

What #### was refering to is very easy to see. The one who's losing seems to be almost stumbling and the one who's winng seems to flow like water. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.