PDA

View Full Version : Torbjorn Blomdahl vs. Semih Sayginer at Carom Cafe

iralee3c
08-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Just a reminder to let folks know that today and tommorrow Blomdahl (10x World Champion) and Sayginer (current World Champion) are playing in the Carom Cafe finals for $37,500 in total tournament prizes.

Sunday afternoon will be the final match of the weeklong 60-person tournament and an amazing 3-cushion trick shot exhibition.

-Ira

phil in sofla
08-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Local 3-C player and room owner (mainly a pool hall, but with 4 heated Verhoevens for 3-C) Bill Maloney was a participant in the round robin qualifiers up there, and faxed over the standings as of Saturday (not sure if it was updated to include Saturday, or only complete through Friday's results).

Blomdahl and Sayginer tied for the highest overall average per inning as of that turn (2.5, if you can believe that one!), with B undefeated at 7-0, Sayginer with one loss at 6-1. Sayginer had the high run for the tournament at 14.

Since I don't follow the game, I didn't recognize some of the Latino sounding names listed on the roster, but some of them were playing very well indeed, also with 6-1 or 7-0 records, and strong overall points per inning at 1.5+.

Chris Cass
08-15-2004, 10:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote iralee3c:</font><hr> Just a reminder to let folks know that today and tommorrow Blomdahl (10x World Champion) and Sayginer (current World Champion) are playing in the Carom Cafe finals for $37,500 in total tournament prizes.

Sunday afternoon will be the final match of the weeklong 60-person tournament and an amazing 3-cushion trick shot exhibition.

-Ira <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Ira,

I sure hope Mr. Sayginer takes it off. I've heard he's going through a battle with Cancer also. Hopefully, I heard wrong. Matter of fact, I pray I heard wrong. I never in my life seen anything better than watching what he can do with Billiards. Unreal what this man brings to the game and sport. A true Champion in anyones standards. IMHO

Regards,

C.C.

wolfdancer
08-16-2004, 12:27 AM
www.caromcafe.com/ (http://www.caromcafe.com/)
great site!!!

cueball1950
08-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Is this the ira lee that went to RPI..... if so, this is mike peabody. and i was glad to se you at valley forge. how is you game. if not him, then i think this reply is mute.....................mike

Steve Lipsky
08-16-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey Mike. It is indeed the same Ira Lee. New York City is lucky to have such an incredible billiards ambassador. He has probably taught half the area how to play, lol.

I wish I could get out to Queens more often, but it's a little out of the way unfortunately.

Ira knows #### Leonard pretty well too, from what I understand.

- Steve

cueball1950
08-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi steve.... glad to see you back... how the game coming along. Whats this i hear that you are not coming south for the open. hats to bad if true. I met ira while he was going to RPI in troy. and yes he also knows Mr Leonard. He used to watch butgh play at RPI when he went there, I had not sen ira in a few years and it was good to see him in valley Forge. He may not realize it but he has alot of friends up here............................................mi ke

Steve Lipsky
08-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Hey Mike. Not really playing much at all these days. Just a temporary lack of desire, I'm sure. So I figured the Open would pretty much be a waste; I'm sick that I won't be able to root for Chris Cass though. I know he's gonna do great.

And yeah, Ira's one in a million. NYC is lucky to have him.

Hope all is well, Mike!

- Steve

#### leonard
08-17-2004, 10:30 AM
It is to bad Ira is not into promoting pool. He would be great for the game. I would play Iraa at RPI when he went to school there. It was a smoke free poolroom, long before its time.####

iralee3c
08-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Chris,

You've heard wrong about Sayginer. Semih Sayginer does not have cancer. He just won 4th place in the Carom Cafe tournament last week and then did his incredible stroke shot exhibition.

You probably confused Sayginer with Sang Lee, who is now in recovery.

-Ira

iralee3c
08-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Thank you for your kind words everyone!

Glad to know that my friends upstate are all enjoying the game. Leonard, who showed me how to play straight pool and Mike, who introduced me to 3-cushion.

Carom Cafe had a fantastic tournament, the results are posted here:

http://www.umbrastudio.net/NYtournament.html

Torbjorn Blomdahl won the tournament with a 15/1 record and an average of 1.7. He had the best game of 3.3 pts/inning.

Ramon Rodrigues from Peru took second with a 17 pt run in his last game against Dion Nelin (Denmark champion).

NY's Pedro Piedrabuena (Master Billiards House Pro), snatched third. He was actually in the running to win the tournament for most of the finals. Great tournament for our US National Champion.

CaromTV.com taped and broadcast live all week from carom cafe. Video tapes of the matches will be available soon.

After the tournament, all the players and spectators went out for a huge Turkish feast at Saharas on 28th and 2nd ave in NYC. Semih Sayginer presented the tournament director and sponsors with 2 Turkish billiard cues that he designed.

Next year, our promoters and sponsors are putting together another event here. Much bigger and much more prize money.

-Ira