PDA

View Full Version : Determining a good shaft

TommyT
08-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Is there a way to determine if one shaft is better than another?. I'm refering to the wood and not neccessarilly playability.
Does the color or any markings tell a story?.
Thanx,
TommyT

BLACKHEART
08-14-2004, 10:54 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif 1st thing I look for is the grain. I look for grain that runs the whole length of the piece of wood. If it has swirls or grain that runs out to the side rather than straight, I pass. Few shafts will be perfect,but straight grain is important. A shaft with less grain lines will probably be lighter & have less spine to it. A higher amount of grain lines is better,but I have made Qs with 6-8 grain lines to the inch & I get them back for tip repairs & they are still straight & performing well. In my mind color makes no difference, except darker ones seem to be slightly heavier....JER

Cueless Joey
08-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Jer said it all.
Color has nothing to do with the maple's quality even though the slower kilned one tend to be whiter.

highsea
08-14-2004, 12:18 PM
Here is some advice from Pat Sheehan. I posted this before, but can't find the thread. I think it's worth repeating.
[ QUOTE ]
Vanity will control the amount of money you spend on the butt of the cue but the shaft will tell you who is really doing a job to make things right, the shorter the ferrell, the least falderal on the joint the better. The shaft is the thing that takes the greatest care. Manufacturers will go through a lot of Rock Maple to get a good one. Look at the heart line (the series of little "O's" on the side). The smaller the "O's" the stronger the shaft. See that it is perfectly straight; any curve in this, the shaft will bend to match. The side grain should be as tight as possible, but all the strength is in the heart line. The shaft always reacts differently in each degree of rotation in your hand.<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.onthebreaknews.com/Sheehan1.htm#December2002

-CM

tateuts
08-14-2004, 01:08 PM
The thing I will add about color is I like it to be uniform. I find dark lines in the shaft to be distracting to my eye when I'm stroking.

Chris

SPetty
08-15-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>I posted this before, but can't find the thread.<hr /></blockquote> highsea's original thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=141729&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I guess I just can't pass up an easy challenge! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
08-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Ahhhh...it was the Hurry-Hurry thread. You're quite the investigator Spetty!

-CM

Rod
08-15-2004, 09:01 PM
~~~rod, lots of small O's. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif