PDA

View Full Version : When You KNOW You're "Right" To Play

Sid_Vicious
05-11-2002, 12:29 PM
I've seen and am guilty as many are, of working at practicing and learning to the point that they merely don't allow "their game" to happen. I personally continue to listen to new things BUT recently have not played aggressively in pool for weeks,,,and it has been relaxing and beneficial(IMO.) I can remember the best sessions I've had in pool have almost without doubt occurred when I strolled in and just happened to get involved in a pool event. Just how many people who get "serious" with their game not know when they should let their game happen, and just stop being serious? I don't expect everyone to capture where I am headed here so I will let those who do, connect in a response....sid~~~recently understanding that playing pool means "play" and "all work and no play makes Jack a stifled pool player"

05-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Congratulations Sid! I think you've just raised your conciousness a level. (levitating can only be a step behind...LOL)

cheesemouse
05-11-2002, 01:51 PM
Sid,
I may not know exactly where your coming from here but I think I'm pointed in the general direction of your post. I call it earning the freewheel. The strength of my 9-ball game is the 'freeing of Willy' as my friends call it in my case. If by event you mean some form of tournament matches be they short or long then I am still in the ball park... I use to freewheel from the get go but after many poor events in a row where I went two and out I changed tactics and began playing my first two matches close to the vest but in the back of my mind saying to myself "if you win these two matches you will have earned the right to free 'willy' any time of your choosing there by earning the right to free wheel which is my strongest game. I know that the most mistakes made by all players in any event is in their first two matches. I also know that the third round on the winners side is full of players on top of their games for the day or weekend. It is now time for your 'A' game to make its appearence. I don't give a $hit who I'm playing in the third of the winners side that guy is going to have to fade my full choke free wheel and right or wrong I'm going to fire my fun game at him. If I lose so be it but I will have gone down firing flames at him and having fun. Don't know for sure if this is close to your question but I feel better. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
05-11-2002, 01:55 PM
You have achieved a level of play that few players can even comprehend.

Letting it all happen, Trusting what you know and accepting the results at this level is an experience all of us shoud be able to reach.. what holds most of us back is our own lack of confidence.

Its the old mental part of competing. When do you know you are ready? you don't. You just have to jump in and see how well you respond to what you have learned and trust yourself to be able to apply it to your competitive games.

Ralph S.
05-11-2002, 03:00 PM
I have to agree with you on the free-wheeling Cheese. I try to play a similar game to what you have mentioned.For the most part it works well, but does backfire once on a while.
Ralph S.

Sid_Vicious
05-11-2002, 03:06 PM
cheez...Many times I roll into a tournament after some satisifying free wheeling in pre tournament play and continue in the same manner, and get stuck. It sounds like you are steering toward a strategy of segmenting those first two sets in a very dileberate style to enable the loose style after there's something stashed away. I was actually intending to target an overall level in one's progress with this post but you happened to put a new spin on my direction, thanks!!!sid

cheesemouse
05-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Sid,
You just said what I meant but much more concisely than I could have.
Ralph,
Yes, it does backfire on occasion but when it does I don't fell bad about it. I also enjoy watching and side betting on matches.