PDA

View Full Version : identifying older brunswick, help quick, may buy t

jpiq2win
08-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Going to look at a older Brunswick 4.5x9 tonight.have not seen it yet. Owner says from early 50's but has no model name or numbers. Owners description was paneled sides with solid rails with mother of pearl inlays I am familiar with Brunswicks from the sixties, but early 50's are a ?. Could it be a gold crown or heritage? The price is a steal(under 1000). Rails were replaced in the late eighties and owner states it is in excellent condition. If what they say is correct, I'll put the cash done as soon as I see it.I would appreciate any input asap as to the types of Brunswicks made in that era. thanks in advance. Jim.

Jimmy B
08-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Without info it's tough to get info, post a few pics.

JB

jpiq2win
08-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Sorry,I must sound like a rookie. Actually been shooting for 40 yrs. After doing some research, it sounds like what the owner was describing was the Anniversay or Centennial model since the Gold Crown wasn't made until the 60's according to Brunswicks' website. Any pros or cons on these two tables would be helpful. Price range opinions are also welcomed. Thanks, Jim

woody_968
08-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Not much info to go on, and Im not sure I could be much help if there were /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But if its in decent shape, good slate and such, and under 1000, I dont think you can get hurt in the deal. Most of the old brunswicks were great tables, and you cant by !@#% for a table for under 1000 any more unless you find a great deal on a used table. And it sounds like you may have found one of those deals.

cheesemouse
08-15-2004, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpiq2win:</font><hr> Sorry,I must sound like a rookie. Actually been shooting for 40 yrs. After doing some research, it sounds like what the owner was describing was the Anniversay or Centennial model since the Gold Crown wasn't made until the 60's according to Brunswicks' website. Any pros or cons on these two tables would be helpful. Price range opinions are also welcomed. Thanks, Jim <hr /></blockquote>

I have an Anniversay and it is as solid a table as you will ever play on. If it is their standard set up the corner pocket opening will be 5 1/4 inches, very large. If you have a professional mechanic set it up for you I would have him double shim the pockets just to get them down too todays standards...good luck

jpiq2win
08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Saw the table tonight. Appears to be a lower end model of Brunswicks'. Sides and legs were of a plyed wood and hollow.One thing I have never seen was that the inside back of the corner pockets were square. Would this identify the era.Onthe inside of the top of all pockets were screwed in triangular pieces of thick leather that made the ball go down in the pocket when it was hit.The screws were recessed and covered with a thin piece of leather.The table only had Brunswicks' name on it, burnt into the top of the head rail. The owner had Brunswick-Balke- Collender accessories, which impressed me, but further confused the situation. What turned me off was the square pockets as a player.Yep, I turned it down. more interested in playability than nostalgia. I'm sure somebody would have loved to have had this table. thanks. Jim

SPetty
08-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for checking back and providing followup for us. I was wondering what had happened. It's too bad that it didn't work out for you. I know nothing about tables, so can't help you there.

SnakebyteXX
08-17-2004, 12:52 PM
There are lots of good old Brunswicks out there if you keep your eyes open. You can also find pictures on the Net of Centennials, Anniversary's and Gold Crown I's and II's to help you in your identification efforts.

All three of those older Brunswick models have an excellent reputation for quality and playability. They can sometimes be hard to find but when you do find one at a good price it is often well worth the wait.

Good luck.