PDA

View Full Version : Is Iran misjudging the US?

highsea
08-15-2004, 12:03 PM
TEHRAN (Reuters) - A senior Iranian military official said Sunday Israel and the United States would not dare attack Iran since it could strike back anywhere in Israel with its latest missiles, news agencies reported.

Iranian officials have made a point of highlighting the Islamic state's military capabilities in recent weeks in response to some media reports that Israeli or U.S. warplanes could try to destroy Iranian nuclear facilities in air strikes.

Iran last week said it carried out a successful test firing of an upgraded version of its Shahab-3 medium-range ballistic missile. Military experts said the unmodified Shahab-3 was already capable of striking Israel or U.S. bases in the Gulf.

"The entire Zionist territory, including its nuclear facilities and atomic arsenal, are currently within range of Iran's advanced missiles," the ISNA students news agency quoted Yadollah Javani, head of the Revolutionary Guards political bureau, as saying.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=5978166&p ageNumber=0

This strikes me as something like taunting a pit bull because you think the rope won't break. I think Iran is trying to position themselves to be the next mid-east "superpower". Every truckload of fighters and weapons they send to Sadr only serves to agrivate the situation. This is not a wise tactic.

The Shahab-3 is not the threat they seem to think it is. Even if they could hit anything with it (which I doubt), a single launch would seal Tehran's fate at this point in time. Do they not realize they are already in our sights?

Iran would be best served by taking a lesson from Syria. Keep your head down and your mouth shut.

-CM

mred477
08-15-2004, 12:21 PM
There's no need to keep your head down and mouth shut if you're dealing with a country that is considering electing a leader who is going to lead a "more sensitive war on terrorism". God help us.

Will

highsea
08-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I know. In Kerry's acceptance speech he said something like, "Any attack will be met with a swift and appropriate resopnse", or something stupid like that.

Just what we need, another Clinton. Let's wait for them to hit us again before we do anything. GW may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but at least he takes the fight to them.

Personally I've come to the conclusion that we will not win this war. The same thing that got us in Vietnam will get us again. Lack of will.

The left criticizes Bush for lacking an "exit strategy". What a joke. Here's an exit strategy. WIN. Then exit. The last thing you want to do is tell the enemy what your "exit strategy" is.

4 months ago Kerry was saying he would get our guys home in 4 years. Now he is saying 6 months. If I was Mookie Sadr, I wouldn't be negotiating either.

-CM

mred477
08-15-2004, 01:19 PM
You have to be allowed to win. The military has had both hands tied behind its back for some time now. No one takes the philosophy that you have to wait for someone robbing you to shoot before you shoot back. You're allowed by law to shoot if they pull a gun on you (or even before). Same thing should apply to foreign policy, no?

Will

crawdaddio
08-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Let's see (rubbing hands together), who's next on our list of domination-*cough*ahem*-I mean "pre-emption"?
The ("secure") masses:
USA! USA! USA!
Let's kill 'em all and take their stuff!

highsea
08-15-2004, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> Let's kill 'em all and take their stuff!
<hr /></blockquote>Better that then to let them fly our planes into our buildings. And I'm not interested in their "stuff". I got my own "stuff". The whole lot of them couldn't collectively get together and produce one #2 pencil.

A lot of very knowledgable people are predicting a nuclear strike on US soil in the next decade. I hope they are wrong, but I am not optimistic about it.

Anyway, the OP was about Iran's sabre rattling and interference in Iraq. Do you have anything to say, or are you just going to throw out a couple sarcastic one-liners and duck back into the shadows?

crawdaddio
08-15-2004, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> The whole lot of them couldn't collectively get together and produce one #2 pencil.
Do you have anything to say, or are you just going to throw out a couple sarcastic one-liners and duck back into the shadows? <hr /></blockquote>

It's these kind of racist remarks that cause me to lean toward the latter.

highsea
08-15-2004, 04:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> The whole lot of them couldn't collectively get together and produce one #2 pencil.
Do you have anything to say, or are you just going to throw out a couple sarcastic one-liners and duck back into the shadows? <hr /></blockquote>

It's these kind of racist remarks that cause me to lean toward the latter. <hr /></blockquote>Excuse me???? Racist?????WTF is racist about that?

While we are talking about racist remarks, go back and read your own comment about Condi Rice and Colin Powell.

crawdaddio
08-15-2004, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>
While we are talking about racist remarks, go back and read your own comment about Condi Rice and Colin Powell.

<hr /></blockquote>

Show me this comment. I don't recall ever even mentioning either of them.

crawdaddio
08-15-2004, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> The whole lot of them couldn't collectively get together and produce one #2 pencil.
<hr /></blockquote>

First of all, who is "them"? I took it in context as Iraqis or Iranians. Next you infer that all of them (generalizing an entire people, or race) have either no work ethic (lazy), or are too stupid to know how to make a pencil. It sounds like racism or biggotry to me. If you didn't intend it that way, then I apologize.

eg8r
08-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Do you have anything to say, or are you just going to throw out a couple sarcastic one-liners and duck back into the shadows? <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cd:</font><hr> It's these kind of racist remarks that cause me to lean toward the latter. <hr /></blockquote><hr /></blockquote> My goodness, CD could you explain what part of highsea's post was racist? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

eg8r

eg8r
08-15-2004, 05:26 PM
I believe it was nhp that made the comment about them both being proven to be white. It was a joke.

eg8r

highsea
08-15-2004, 07:50 PM
You're right Ed. I get them confused.

Sorry Dave. But my post had nothing to do with racism.

nhp
08-16-2004, 04:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> You're right Ed. I get them confused.

Sorry Dave. But my post had nothing to do with racism. <hr /></blockquote>

What!? I haven't argued with you guys in a long time. Now that you asked for it, here I go.

Bush sucks. I prefer shaved and smooth. Kerry's an ass, but arent all democrats (donkeys)? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
08-16-2004, 04:10 AM
To be honest I wouldn't mind us bombing the crap out of Iran. See, I'm not THAT liberal. If we were to invade Iran, I honestly would rather have Bush in charge than Kerry. That's what Bush is good at, war- in itself. As for strategy, I dunno, that's iffy. I don't really like Kerry much, he seems like the rich snooty type...you know, the guys who walk around with their noses pointed in the air. Bush...well you all know how I feel about him. He's good for war, but that's about it. Man, I really liked John McCain, he gives Bush and Kerry the 5 and the breaks and robs 'em. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif