PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone justify this?

mred477
08-15-2004, 01:43 PM
I work for an environmental consulting firm in Florida, and as such, we bid for work from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection (FDEP). My experience has been that at the end of the fiscal year, these agencies give out large amounts of money with significantly less scrutiny because if they don't grant these contracts, their budget will shrink for the next year. I imagine that this happens in just about every governmental agency. Maybe instead of taking more money from the wealthy, we should pay more attention to the real government handouts?

Will

eg8r
08-15-2004, 06:37 PM
This happens with all budgets, or at least the ones that are not completely spent before they year is up. A few years ago, at the company I work for, we had a large amount of unspent budgetary funds for building maintenance. So, to make sure to spend the money, we had a company come out and remove the roofs from our breezeway/walkways and then put them back on. The exact same roof went back up, since they laid the first one on the ground and then at the beginning of the next week they just picked the pieces off the ground and put them back up. An absolute complete waste of money. On the other hand, we had run out of viewgraph material and budget for supplies in June. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
08-16-2004, 06:05 AM
I used to work for an office furniture manufacturer that sold a lot of stuff to the feds. Every August and September we were slammed with orders as the agencies tried to use up their funds.

Inexcusable.

Rich R.
08-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Although what you are saying appears to be true for all government agencies, and it may be true for some, there is another slant on this end of year spending.

In many agencies, they know at the beginning of the year, that they will not have enough money for everything they need during the year. They tend to hold off spending as much money as possible, allowing for the emergency need for that money elsewhere. Near the end of the year, when they know that nothing more pressing will come along, they release that money and buy some of what they need.
Unfortunately, most agencies are always playing catch-up, when it comes to money.

I'm sure some of you can show examples where money is out and out wasted, and I can too, but that is not the story for all government agencies.

landshark77
08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Yeah, the company I work for had to give money back at the end of the FY because it wasn't spent. I do not know how this will affect our up coming years budget/grant.