PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Do This?

nhp
08-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Whenever I watch a pro player, when I go and practice that day or the next, I have a tendency to copy their styles. I tend to copy the rythm of their strokes mainly, I usually don't change much else. The other day I watched Alex Pagulayan beat Antonio Lining on an Accustats tape, and I was so impressed with Alex's game, that I desperately wanted his mechanics. So I studied them, and copied them. Suddenly my game jumped up a notch or two. I started figuring out alot of stuff wrong with me, like alignment with my cue, etc. Anyone else ever do this? I tried Bustamante's style a while ago, and the results weren't pretty.

Fasteddy7
08-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Yes, I do this on occasion but its not intentional. Sometimes I find myself shooting a certain shot and afterwards I say to my self "heh, I shot that shot just like ....... would shoot it"

Chris Cass
08-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Hi nhp,

I know I have Carmine Sardo down patt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

ras314
08-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Well, I tried Keith McCready's stroke. Once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

highsea
08-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I find myself doing this too. I like to emulate Allison's mechanics and precice stroke. Usually after watching her play, I will play better for a little while, but it doesn't really stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-CM

9 Ball Girl
08-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Dammit Chris you beat me to it! LOL

I find myself playing a notch or two better after watching some good pool playing--not necessarily Pros as Valley Forge can attest to that--but it happens moreso when I'm watching it in person. If it's a tape or on ESPN, I have to watch for a while to get that notch thing going.

Rod
08-16-2004, 04:14 PM
When I was young, not this century, lol I watched a couple of good players that had a similar style. Mostly I used parts from one player. Later on I saw Jimmy moore play and it all blended well together.

I'd say forget about copying weird strokes. Find someone that's smooth and straight you respect and admire. It needs to be you in the end and blend with your inner rhythm.

Rod

Malice
08-16-2004, 09:43 PM
I've been mimicing Oliver Ortmann's style for years. He just seems supremely confident to me.

Cueless Joey
08-16-2004, 11:13 PM
I tried to mimick Efren one time.
After a several miscues and tearing the cloth by mimicking his rollercoaster stroke and the let the cue glide follow through, I had to quit it.
I now have a unique stroke. I miss half the time but it looks good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif