PDA

View Full Version : Dream Team's worst nightmare....

Harold Acosta
08-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Sorry everyone but I'm entitled to some bragging rights...

Yesterday, Puerto Rico bested upon the US Dream Team, one of it's worst, unimaginable, nightmare's in Olympic history. A most pleasant surprise in any opening of the Olympics...

According to NBC Olympics, "Puerto Rico won in a rout, 92-73, dealing the U.S. its first Olympic loss since NBA players were allowed to compete in 1992 and its third in Olympic history. The U.S. had won 24 consecutive Olympic games with NBA players since losing to the Soviet Union in the semifinals of the 1988 Games in Seoul."

Carlos Arroyo, was just a killer. He just blew the US Team away, and that was apparent when Puerto Rico won the second quarter 28-7, against the US. We also won the first quarter 21-20 and at halftime we were 22 points ahead.

Who would have guessed it? We really didn't expect this game from our Team but we have always wanted to prove to the World that we have "World Class Players" just like all the other teams who have played against the U.S., but yesterday's victory was so sweet because it was such a blowout!

Yesterday, the Puerto Rican Billiard Federation had a pool tournament. 71 players showed up, one of it's best showings since our creation, and the pool room was packed. There was 6 monitors in the room, you could practically see the basketball game from anywhere. Our tournament slowly crawled to a stop, when the US came within 8 points. But here comes Carlos Arroyo, and Eddie Casiano, to our rescue.

Needless to say, when we started running out again, the pool hall bursted back into celebration.

Larry Brown, Lebron James, Tim Duncan, Iverson, their faces said it all!

Yesterday, was another great day for Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico doesn't need to win the Gold Medal, or any medal for that matter. We are certain that when our team arrives in Puerto Rico, we will welcome them as the heroes of the Olympics, with our beautiful Puerto Rican Flag waving everywhere!

A tiny little Island Nation, beating the "Goliath" of the World.

Oh, what a wonderfull feeling, oh what a wonderful day, I have a wonderful feeling, everything is going our way....

eg8r
08-16-2004, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry everyone but I'm entitled to some bragging rights... <hr /></blockquote> Yes you do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I quit watching the game when the US was down 19 at the end of three. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

catscradle
08-16-2004, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> ...
Yesterday, Puerto Rico bested upon the US Dream Team, one of it's worst, unimaginable, nightmare's in Olympic history. A most pleasant surprise in any opening of the Olympics...

A tiny little Island Nation, beating the "Goliath" of the World.

<hr /></blockquote>

I think both teams got what they deserved. It may be unpatriotic, but I don't mind at all if the "Dream Team" continues to lose. Maybe then the next "Dream Team" will realize they have to work and care a little. The real Dream Team (Magic, Byrd, etc.) depended on more than individual skill, they worked hard as a team and never made any assumption that they couldn't lose.

Cueless Joey
08-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Congrats Harold.
But, we do still have more Miss Universe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I think.

pooltchr
08-16-2004, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> I think both teams got what they deserved. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree. The main reason I don't follow the NBA any more is that it seems once the players get a big fat contract, they become more concerned with individual stats, playing minutes, and making sure they don't do anything that might cause an injury.
College ball players actually run up and down the court. Too many NBA players seem to jog.

Congrats to the PR team for a great game!!!

bluewolf
08-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Congrats to your country. Naturally I like to see the US win, but I like to see other countries win some too, so that they will be encouraged to come back and improve in other areas. Competition is good for everyone, and if the same two countries won everything, there would not be an olympics. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Laura

9 Ball Girl
08-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Call me unpatriotic but I was rooting for Puerto Rico all the way!

Wendy&lt;---of Dominican descent living in the U.S. rooting for Puerto Rico. Huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooljunkie73
08-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Hmm, 9 Ball Girl sends you a gift, then Puerto Rico beats the Dream Team. I think it was a conspiracy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, they played a hell of a game. They made the US team look really bad, they looked like a bunch of amatures. Now the big question is, can the Dream Team wake up from this and come back better then ever?

Kent Mc.

wolfdancer
08-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok, you be unpatriotic...traitor!!!!
A clear violation of the Patriot Act...and I be whistle-blowing on you.
Bet you rooted fer that Aussie, wit the illegal butterfly kick, also...
We're gonna keep an eye on you....Big brother will be watching

9 Ball Girl
08-16-2004, 02:47 PM
I guess you can say it's a Hispanic thing. And besides, the Puerto Rico team was like 100 times cuter than the American team. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ay yi yi!

Kato
08-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Why do they still call them the Dream Team? It's a marketing ploy that's outlived it's usage.

Congrats to the Puerto Ricans.

Kato~~~not my Dream Team.

Barbara
08-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Harold,

Not to take away your bragging right, but I just want to say to the Olympic Committee, WAKE THE $&amp;%! UP!! and give back the basketball teams to AMATEURS and keep the STOOPID PROS out of it!!

I NEVER agreed with letting the pros play. NEVER!! The Olympics are supposed to be for amatuers, not professional players.

Let the amateurs players play. They're not tainted by the millions of dollars they're not making. And they have more love for their country, IMO.

Why did the USA ever let the Pros play in the first place? Where/When did this Olympic amatuer diversion happen?

Barbara~~~hates Iverson, loves Larry Brown...

wolfdancer
08-16-2004, 06:50 PM
SO.....you like older men!!!! lol
Isn't it amazing that pros can now play...and Jim Thorpe had his track and field medals taken away ( since returned )for playing one season of semi-pro baseball?

mred477
08-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately, the amateurs are tainted by the millions they can make with a win. Just look at people like Ben Johnson and members of the track and field team this year involved in the BALCO scandal.

The simple answer to why the U.S. sends pros is because nobody pays attention when the stars aren't present. Four years ago, USA baseball won the gold medal with minor league players (salaries in the 30-50k range) and nobody paid any attention. You think if Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez went to the Olympics that people would watch? Same thing with basketball. A starting five of college players would look like this.

PG Chris Paul-Wake Forest
SG Gerry McNamara-Syracuse
SF Rashad McCants-North Carolina
PF Hakim Warrick-Syracuse
C Emeka Okafor-UCONN

The starters don't have any name recognition. Forget the backups like Bracey Wright(Indiana), Devin Harris(Wisconsin), Lawrence Roberts(Miss. St.), Sean May (NC), etc. There's no money there, and that's why they aren't playing in the Olympics.

In fact, had the US been smart, they would have picked one of the handful of players who could actually shoot (Brent Barry, Reggie Miller, Vashon Leonard, Eddie Jones, etc.), but instead they chose LaBron and Carmelo and guess who's jerseys are selling #1 and 2.

I guess the point is the amateurs are driven by money, and the pros are invited because of it. It's sad, but the Olympics long ago became all about money and less about what it was supposed to be. This was only proven during the bribery scandal heading into the Salt Lake City games.

Will

Kato
08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mred477:</font><hr>In fact, had the US been smart, they would have picked one of the handful of players who could actually shoot (Brent Barry, Reggie Miller, Vashon Leonard, Eddie Jones, etc.),Will <hr /></blockquote>

Will, I liked your entire post until you got to Eddie Jones. Living in South Florida and watching Eddie the last couple years you might think differently.

Kato

mred477
08-16-2004, 08:39 PM
Even Eddie Jones could do a better job than these stiffs. 3 for freaking 24...and nobody is mentioning that the international 3-point line is 3 feet closer than the NBA line! Bring back Larry Bird!

Will

Kato
08-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Point well taken.

Kato

Harold Acosta
08-17-2004, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Congrats Harold.
But, we do still have more Miss Universe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I think. <hr /></blockquote>

You may have more but ours were way much prettier and total knock-outs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9 Ball Girl
08-17-2004, 03:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr>You may have more but ours were way much prettier and total knock-outs! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<hr /></blockquote>No se encuentran nadie como la mujer latina! Y lo digo porque lo soy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Harold Acosta
08-17-2004, 03:39 PM
I agree with you. Pro's should be out of the Olympics.

The US Team was having very close calls in World Games, Olympics, Olympic Qualifiers, etc., so they wanted to bully the World and decided to go with the Pro's.

But if what happened in this opener is an indication of the quality of upcoming players, the US will be in some deep doodoo in future Olympic games, so I don't think it will go back to Amateurs.

Before 1988, the US somehow got the Pro's into the Olympics by crying about some of the World Countries having Pro players in their teams (although they were only Pro Bench Warmers).

This is where the nightmare began for almost all of the World Countries. There was no way in the World that any team was going to beat the first three Dream Teams.

But things have changed, and regardless of the "quality" of the current U.S. Dream Team, they just lived a "real nightmare" with Puerto Rico.

I'm certain that somewhere in the back of their minds, if they are successful or not, they will forever regret that opening loss to Puerto Rico....

....and I'm feeling really good about it!

Harold Acosta
08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks Wendy. Somehow I thought you would root for us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
08-18-2004, 03:38 AM
You BRAG AWAY HAROLD!
Go Puerto Rico /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol~isnt Puerto Rican but has family members who are!Go Puerto Rico!

catscradle
08-18-2004, 04:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mred477:</font><hr> ... Bring back Larry Bird!

Will <hr /></blockquote>

You joke, but I'm willing to bet he is still out in his home court everyday shooting and can still drain the bottom of the net with those 3 pointers all day long.
Of course, since he was slow anyway and would be a lot slower now, he'd probably only play one end of the court. Oh wait, that's what the current team does, no problem then.