PDA

View Full Version : newbie joint protector questions

05-11-2002, 12:44 PM
How do joint protectors work? Some look like they slip or screw on.
Do they stay on all the time inclucding when you are playing? Some look like they they only stay on while storing your cue.
Do you have to take them off when you play?
If they stay on while you play does it effect the play or balance of your cue?
It seems like I read a lot of messages about players who have used them for a short time and then stopped using them.
These might seem like some stupid questions. But I've never seen one. And I've never seen anyone using one. Only the pictures of them on ebay and internet stores. I'm wondering about buying them if I get a Lucasi with the uni lock joint.

WaltVA
05-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Eddie - Joint protectors screw on to protect cues while in your case; you remove them to assemble your cue for play. They protect both the shaft and butt threads from damage, as well as protecting the pin from getting bent.

Had any luck getting your Viking pin straightened?

Walt in VA

05-11-2002, 01:41 PM
Hi Walt.
I've been playing with as it is. I only played about 3 times so far. Blackheart said he would take a look at it. But he is about 3 hours away. And an emission device went out on my wife's car. It cost close to $700 to have it fixed at the dealer. Then next morning the battery was dead. That cost almost another $100. So I might just use it as it is unless I can actually talk with a repair person or get a chance to drive down to Blackheart.

WaltVA
05-11-2002, 02:05 PM
Hi, Eddie - Blackheart would priobably be well worth the drive if you can make it sometime, both for the repair and also any info you might pick up from him.

I've never bought a cue without joint protectors for it - just cheap insurance, IMO.

Good luck - Walt in VA

rackmup
05-12-2002, 06:11 AM
I've personally never tried the stuff but more information on...

"Doobie Joint Protectors"

...can be found at www.hightimes.com (http://www.hightimes.com)

Regards,

Ken (always doin' the web research to help those in need of information)

Pizza Bob
05-13-2002, 09:27 AM
Eddie:

Just to make sure you didn't get "taken" - All emission control devices on automobiles are covered, by federal mandate, for 5 years or 50,000 miles. You can e-mail me privately if you have any questions. Hate to see transportation issues get in the way of pool. Especially for one returning to the fold.

Adios,

Pizza Bob