PDA

View Full Version : So what are Bert's 10 best hustles?

1a2b3c
08-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Is this video worth my money? I still dont have it and was thinking about picking it up. What are a few of the tricks of the trade revealed? I imagine it being a waste of 29 bucks that would be better spent on his newest videos.

Cueless Joey
08-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Making and selling that video for 29 dollars is hustle number 1.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Malice
08-16-2004, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Making and selling that video for 29 dollars is hustle number 1.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I had to laugh at that!

Chris Cass
08-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C.

wantsumrice
08-17-2004, 12:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't get what "tap tap tap" means...care to explain? lol

~ivan

Rich R.
08-17-2004, 04:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wantsumrice:</font><hr> I don't get what "tap tap tap" means...care to explain? lol<hr /></blockquote>
Those of us, with a few years under our belt, remember a time when pool rooms did not have wall to wall carpeting. we also remember when cues did not necessarily have rubber bumpers on the butt end.
When someone made a good shot, the other player would acknowledge it, by tapping the butt of his cue on the floor. Hence, the "tap, tap, tap."

Chris was kind of acknowledging a good shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

recoveryjones
08-17-2004, 09:29 PM
I have 8 or 9 Kinister videos and this one is not one of MY favorites.

Bert shows 10 shots in a 45-60 ??? minute video. Some of the shots are impressive.On others it takes him a zillion times to make the shots work.It can get really frustrating(for impatient fellows like me...LOL) watching him miss certain shots over and over as this missing routine serves as filler to complete the video and it gets monotonous.

Videos like that are subjective to what each viewer likes.I'm not into trick shots so I thought it was so so.Another person might like it and actually use some of the shots.I'm open to trading it for another pool video if anyone is curious.Give me a PM if interested. RJ

KGeeED
08-18-2004, 07:24 AM
The tape is entertaining. It just supports the old saying that a sucker is born every minute. For someone to make a bet against someone that they cannot make a shot is totally idiotic. The tape is worth the money just to see what kind of shots can be done and how great the top pool players must be. To me it shows that the top players are bored with practicing regular shots so they come up with these "trick" shots.

To explain what the shots are would be hard to do. Some of the shots are 3 rail kicks into a corner pocket with the OB on the center spot and then doing the same shot by throwing the CB instead shooting it. Another is kicking a OB that is against the end rail at the center spot into the corner pocket. The CB is at the far corner pocket. He then does the same shot and also makes another ball that is hanging in the center pocket. All of these shots are done with the bet that he can make it within a certain number of tries. I haven't watched the tape in a long time so I don't remember all of the shots. But I have used the kick shots in a pinch when I was hooked.

I don't personally think that anyone could hustle someone with these shots today. Maybe years ago when people were more gullible but not today with all of the pool exposure.

If you think you can make money with these hustles let me take out a life insurance policy on you with me as beneficiary and I will buy or sent you the tape. LOL

Ross
08-18-2004, 01:54 PM
I know one of his hustles is stretching 5 minutes of material into a 29.95 tape.

I just bought his "cueball 202" tape on e-bay for $14. Here is the entire tape. Literally.

1. sets up 4 balls 1 diamond from each corner pocket, about 1/2" from side rails
2. has a local player shoot these over and over for a half hour or more, trying to put cb onto piece of paper in middle of table, succeeding maybe 3 times.
3. tape is blank for a minute
4. peddles an expandable bridge for a few minutes
5. reappears with a pro from Aruba with cute 5 y.o. daughter. talks about how great the daughter and pro are. Pro tries the exact same shots a few times , gets close to the paper maybe 7 out of 10
6. has someone rack for him while he tries to make the 1 ball in the side on the break. He finally does it after many tries.
7. he reappears and says the tape was "two years in the making"

During this whole time he is jabbering away like a snake-oil salesman. Here is the total sum of instruction on the tape:

1. when going forward with inside english 3 rails to center, use more extreme english than you normally feel comfortable with
2. steeper angles make getting back to the center easier
3. the harder you break, the farther the 1 ball will go in the direction of the side pocket
4. pros don't let the cb go past the spot when breaking

That is the whole tape. I don't even know if #3 is correct. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I did get one valuable thing from the tape. The drill is very useful practice. You just keep shooting from wherever the cb ends up, respotting the balls, trying to get the cb to the center of the table each time.

I would offer this tape now for cheap, but I don't want to get my post booted.

recoveryjones
08-18-2004, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> I know one of his hustles is stretching 5 minutes of material into a 29.95 tape.

I just bought his "cueball 202" tape on e-bay for $14. Here is the entire tape. Literally.

1. sets up 4 balls 1 diamond from each corner pocket, about 1/2" from side rails
2. has a local player shoot these over and over for a half hour or more, trying to put cb onto piece of paper in middle of table, succeeding maybe 3 times.
3. tape is blank for a minute
4. peddles an expandable bridge for a few minutes
5. reappears with a pro from Aruba with cute 5 y.o. daughter. talks about how great the daughter and pro are. Pro tries the exact same shots a few times , gets close to the paper maybe 7 out of 10
6. has someone rack for him while he tries to make the 1 ball in the side on the break. He finally does it after many tries.
7. he reappears and says the tape was "two years in the making"

During this whole time he is jabbering away like a snake-oil salesman. Here is the total sum of instruction on the tape:

1. when going forward with inside english 3 rails to center, use more extreme english than you normally feel comfortable with
2. steeper angles make getting back to the center easier
3. the harder you break, the farther the 1 ball will go in the direction of the side pocket
4. pros don't let the cb go past the spot when breaking

That is the whole tape. I don't even know if #3 is correct. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I did get one valuable thing from the tape. The drill is very useful practice. You just keep shooting from wherever the cb ends up, respotting the balls, trying to get the cb to the center of the table each time.

I would offer this tape now for cheap, but I don't want to get my post booted. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll tell you what. I'll trade you my copy of "Bert's 10 best Hustles" for your cueball 202 video....LOL

PM me if interested.RJ

Rod
08-18-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. has a local player shoot these over and over for a half hour or more, trying to put cb onto piece of paper in middle of table, succeeding maybe 3 times. <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds similar to what I taught a player part of last session, except the balls were frozen. Really it was just for a few minutes until he had a basic understanding. No sense waisting time on a drill unless I feel or they want further attention in that area. Sometimes it does take a fair amount of time though. I use that for follow and the X drill for draw.

Does Burt explain what went wrong with each shot, stroke etc?

Rod

Ross
08-18-2004, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
2. has a local player shoot these over and over for a half hour or more, trying to put cb onto piece of paper in middle of table, succeeding maybe 3 times. <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds similar to what I taught a player part of last session, except the balls were frozen. ...

Does Burt explain what went wrong with each shot, stroke etc?

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

No, he explains almost nothing on this tape, except trying to get the guy to use more extreme english on the 3 rail inside follow. At one point he promises that he will do the drill himself later on the in the tape, but alas, he never does...

If the ball is frozen to the rail he has a whole series of tapes dealing with this situation, so that is another $90 - $120! lol! he calls it his "6 pointed star" (6 balls frozen to the rail), "building the 6-pointed star" , "9 pointed star" tape, etc.

His earlier tapes were well padded with his students missing over and over and him hawking his wares, but this latest one is ridiculous. I don't know whether this is typical of his higher numbered tapes - I suspect it is.

I usually extract a nugget or two from each tape, but he really is ripping off his customers by stretching out 5 minutes of info to an hour, IMO.

recoveryjones
08-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Burt will have some player (B+ quality) shoot his drills and the guy will make some good runs but also have his fair share of screw ups.(the screw ups by the B player drive me nuts....LOL) Bert will explain what went wrong and what he could have done etc.etc., so there is some teaching value in that.

When Burt himself shoots , it seems he never ever misses. I suppose some of his misses have been edited and he is playing in the comfort of his own basement pool table.

Some of Kinisters videos and his drills are really good, (especially for an A player or lower)however, some of them are a little lacking compared to his good ones.If I can learn one or two helpful things per video, then I'm basically a happy camper.Each video will usually offer that.

Sometimes you pay $29 to learn a real good nine ball drill that he'll throw in a few different varietys of.I'm using some of those drills and they've been really helpful.

Bert is no different than the rock bands out there. He'll have his hit singles, his mediocre tunes and then throw in some filler.RJ

Rod
08-19-2004, 03:39 PM
[quote Ross]If the ball is frozen to the rail he has a whole series of tapes dealing with this situation, so that is another $90 - $120! lol! he calls it his "6 pointed star" (6 balls frozen to the rail), "building the 6-pointed star" , "9 pointed star" tape, etc.
<hr /></blockquote>

What a milker, lol I explain what went wrong, not just say, use more english. That's not very good if you ask me. I'll point out how they hit the o/b (fat or thin) how much english and how they delivered the cue (ie type of stroke, timing, rushed or smooth etc.) Not to mention any weird moves I see. It's important they know the difference especially if it's stroke mechanics. Consistency will be lacking big time if you can't hit the same spot on the c/b or o/b. The speed will be off as well without a well timed stroke at any given speed. Learning how to accelerate the cue is one of the worst problems I see other that a tight grip.

I can see it in person or on tape, no problem. I'll bet I could find a lot more than just use more english, however I ain't buying one of his tapes to do what he should have. LOL

You know I've found many B players that didn't know if they hit the ball first or the rail first. It's essential to know that for position play or even make the ball sometimes.

Sometime ago a member sent me a tape to view. I saw a few small problems which I pointed out including a strange move with the right knee. It wasn't the best tape to view because of camera angle and area but it showed enough for a basic overview. Ok Im drifting off topic a bit but I was just curious what they explained.

~~~Rod, doesn't own any instructional tapes