PDA

View Full Version : That which doesnt kill us-only makes us stronger!

CarolNYC
08-17-2004, 06:07 AM
I normally dont write about personal health experiences, but Im hoping that this will inspire someone to never give up and keep the faith!

This past 4th of July, I was sitting in my living room eating noodles,when in an INSTANT, I started to massively vomit and double over in excrusciating pain-
I told my husband, "take me to the hospital!"
I was immediately admitted with the notion it was my gallbladder or appendix but catscans showed an Obstructed Small Intestine due to scar tissue from surgery a few years ago!
For 3 days I was sedated on morphine and on the 4th day, my doctor came in,looking rather sad ,cause he knew he would have to gut me open from top to bottom, to remove the obstruction. When he listened to my stomach,it rumbled! He sent me for Xrays and miraculously, my intestine was UNOBSTRUCTING!He said to me,"Carol, I know your in pain but if you stay off the morphine and WALK, I may not have to operate!"WELL, thats all he had to say-(I had no time for this nonsense cause I had to play tournaments)-I jumped outta that bed so fast and walked,with this tube up my nose and down my throat ,pulling this IV thing around-the staff needed to use the intercom to find me!
My stomach distended to the size of a basketball and I lost 11 pounds and after six days, I was released on July 9th!
The next weekend was the NJ 8 ball tournament-I played,with my basketball stomach, in very loose clothes and took 3rd!
The following weekend was the Maryland State-I drove down that morning and played with my soccerball stomach, took 5/6th!
This past weekend-3rd and the spot!
So, what Im trying to say is:
Stay strong,dont ever give up and keep the faith! Miracles do happen!

And on a silly note:
Im an honest person,but when I had the obstruction, I was literally "full of S##T!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Stay well all!
Carol~that which doesnt kill us,only makes us stronger! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-17-2004, 06:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>

I had no time for this nonsense cause I had to play tournaments <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

landshark77
08-17-2004, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Im an honest person,but when I had the obstruction, I was literally "full of S##T!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Glad you are doing well.

9 Ball Girl
08-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Like you needed to lose 11 pounds! Glad you're doing well! Let me know when you're back to a pingpong stomach!

wolfdancer
08-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Carol, i'm glad you were spared an unnecessary surgery...never know what strange germs you'll be picking up in the O.R. I'm still dealing with problems from my broken ankle surgery. Years ago....three or four wars ago, I was just a few hours away from an emergency appendix operation, when the Dr. decided my real problem/pain I was full of.....
some 50 years later, I still got the appendix...and I'm still full of, well you know what.
Hope your ailments disappear...and Congrats!!! on your recent pool playing prowess.....
watch out Jeanette/Karen/Allison...here comes Carol...

CarolNYC
08-17-2004, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad you are doing well.

<hr /></blockquote>

You betcha!
Take care!
Carol

CarolNYC
08-17-2004, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like you needed to lose 11 pounds <hr /></blockquote>
Ha Ha Ha-HagenDaaz Chocolate pops have been on sale all week-by one 3-pack,get one free-my freezers full!Oh yeah! :grin
Carol~will let Wendy know when I can do ONE situp! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CarolNYC
08-17-2004, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still got the appendix <hr /></blockquote>
Hey Wolfdancer,

Im very glad that you are okay,also!
You take very good care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
08-17-2004, 08:09 PM
How about the PA state 8 ball tournament? This will be the week before Thanksgiving. It's a decent tournament.

DG - will be there

stickman
08-17-2004, 10:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>
And on a silly note:
Im an honest person,but when I had the obstruction, I was literally "full of S##T!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Carol, I'm glad it all worked out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, I glad you didn't have to go through the operation.

Jim

CarolNYC
08-18-2004, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, I glad you didn't have to go through the operation <hr /></blockquote>

THANKS JIM!
I met this guy in the hospital and we got to talking-he opens his shirt and shows me this massive scar from the top of his chest to below his bellybutton-OMG -and these two holes on his sides where he had to wear some kind of bag /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif-scared the hell out of me-made me walk even more! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank you and stay well!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
08-18-2004, 03:35 AM
Hey Duane,
PA would be the NEWT tour,if this is NOT a regional tournament, sorry,I will not be playing,anyway, Im ASCARED of 8ball-too many balls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol~has an open dinnerdate with Duane! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
08-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Carol,
It's not a NEWT tour, but an independent promotion. I know there's a lot of balls, but first place pays somewhere between $600 and $800. Maybe more. Come here and I'll show you good Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. I can load you up on the Amish pies and pastries to start. If you think caffeine gets you wired up, wait until you try Shoo-fly pie, whoopie pies, scrapple, to name a few. Damn, now I'm getting hungry.

Duane- trying to lose weight

Barbara
08-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Duane,

We used to have a stop at Coby's when he had a room in Lancaster.

Sorry, barbox is not for me and Carol only plays the BIG tables anymore.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
08-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I remember when the tour would be there although I could never make it over because of work. I understand your feelings about bar boxes. Still...come for the food.

Duane

landshark77
08-18-2004, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Im ASCARED of 8ball-too many balls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol~has an open dinnerdate with Duane! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

OK, I know this is the non pool related forum and I know 8 and 9 ball was discussed in the pool forum, but I don't think this question ever came up: Why do 9 ballers (pros and semi-pros) think 8 ball is difficult? I think it is the easiest game out there. You are even running less balls.

Rod
08-18-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do 9 ballers (pros and semi-pros) think 8 ball is difficult? <hr /></blockquote>

I wasn't aware they did?

Barbara
08-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Shark,

It's just a way different game with a way different strategy. Personally, I love 8-ball when played with BCA rules that allow all forms of defensive and offensive shots. People just don't see the potential of the strategy. And it could also come from not understanding the full impact of the rules.

Also, I believe that some people have a problem with playing all the aspects of the game - playing a hook and such. There's a certain racist slur that comes to mind when one plays a defensive move that's totally out of context, but it happens.

I think Julie Kelly summed it up best in her first 8-ball tourny with JPNEWT during the player's meeting when I was going over the rules: "JC!, just give me back my money, there's too many rules! All I want to do is pocket the balls!" BTW, for all her bitching, she took second behind Karen Corr. And no, she didn't show up at this year's 8-ball event, either. "Motor Molly" is too funny!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
08-18-2004, 07:38 PM
Barbara - Coby's 8 ball tourny is BCA rules. It's the only way I'll play. I've won and lost games on the 3 foul rule. The rule is there to use, if you choose not, that's you're fault.

Duane

ras314
08-18-2004, 09:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Barbara - Coby's 8 ball tourny is BCA rules. It's the only way I'll play. I've won and lost games on the 3 foul rule. The rule is there to use, if you choose not, that's you're fault.

Duane <hr /></blockquote>
From 2003 BCA rule book

rule 4.21, stalemated game, last sentence:
"Please Note: three consective fouls by one player in 8-ball is not a loss of game."

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

wolfdancer
08-18-2004, 10:42 PM
....and, don't forget the goat's milk fudge

wolfdancer
08-18-2004, 10:54 PM
Wait'll you get to be my age...(but you gotta stop passing out, first...think PERISTALSIS )...and the balls start looking fuzzy, about 6 ft away....and the bar box may start to look inviting...well, maybe not. 8 ft'rs ain't too bad, with fast clothe, and a reg cueball....and playing good players. I don't go to pool rooms up here...they allow smoking, and I'm allergic...so I play the occasional bar pool tournament...and have my own 9 ft'r to practice on.
How did we get to 8-ball/barpool...from a near O.R. visit?

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do 9 ballers (pros and semi-pros) think 8 ball is difficult? I think it is the easiest game out there. You are even running less balls <hr /></blockquote>

Im sorry-I should've put "just kidding" in parentheses after the "Im ascared" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I play straight pool at home,so 8-ball does leave you more options than 9-ball!
I think its a rule thing that disturbs me-it seems, every place I've been to that plays 8-ball, has their OWN rules!
Carol

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just give me back my money, there's too many rules<hr /></blockquote>

There it is! LMAO
Carol

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Come here and I'll show you good Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. I can load you up on the Amish pies and pastries to start<hr /></blockquote>

An offer I can't refuse /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hey Duane,
Let me know the dates-if nothings going on,maybe I'll make the daytrip,but dont sweat the pastries, I would just like to meet you /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you think caffeine gets you wired up <hr /></blockquote>

Ha Ha Ha-I think you have that backwards-
I wire up caffeine!

[ QUOTE ]
Shoo-fly pie, whoopie pies, scrapple <hr /></blockquote>
Ha HA Ha-I have no idea what this is!

Carol~Duane has got me VERY curious! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
don't forget the goat's milk fudge <hr /></blockquote>

Oh boy, that sounds appetizing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait'll you get to be my age...(but you gotta stop passing out, first...think PERISTALSIS <hr /></blockquote>

Now thats funny!
Stay well,Wolfdancer!
Carol

landshark77
08-19-2004, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Why do 9 ballers (pros and semi-pros) think 8 ball is difficult? <hr /></blockquote>

I wasn't aware they did? <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, that was just a generalization. It was just weird as I have heard several people, who play 9 ball for a living, insinuate that 8 ball was not as easy a 9 ball...or something to that effect.

landshark77
08-19-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Shark,

It's just a way different game with a way different strategy. Personally, I love 8-ball when played with BCA rules that allow all forms of defensive and offensive shots. People just don't see the potential of the strategy. And it could also come from not understanding the full impact of the rules.

Also, I believe that some people have a problem with playing all the aspects of the game - playing a hook and such. There's a certain racist slur that comes to mind when one plays a defensive move that's totally out of context, but it happens.

I think Julie Kelly summed it up best in her first 8-ball tourny with JPNEWT during the player's meeting when I was going over the rules: "JC!, just give me back my money, there's too many rules! All I want to do is pocket the balls!" BTW, for all her bitching, she took second behind Karen Corr. And no, she didn't show up at this year's 8-ball event, either. "Motor Molly" is too funny!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Barbara... you shed some light on it for me. For some reason I am totally the opposite. I think 9 ball is so complex with too many rules. I still haven't gotten that push thing down all the way, LOL. I guess my mind set is that anyone who is good enough to play on a pro tour would know all the rules, understand, and be able to play any billiards game without any type of hesitation. Am I putting too much pressure on all them? LOL.

landshark77
08-19-2004, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Quote:
Why do 9 ballers (pros and semi-pros) think 8 ball is difficult? I think it is the easiest game out there. You are even running less balls <hr /></blockquote>

Im sorry-I should've put "just kidding" in parentheses after the "Im ascared" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I play straight pool at home,so 8-ball does leave you more options than 9-ball!
I think its a rule thing that disturbs me-it seems, every place I've been to that plays 8-ball, has their OWN rules!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

I had a similar conversation the other day, so it was weird when you insinuated something similar. I should have gotten that you were goofing around with the way you said you were
ascared of 8-ball, LOL. But, that's what I get for being blonde. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Yes, I agree that almost every place has their own rules for 8 ball...which tends to make it difficult...I guess that's why I don't go anywhere. LOL.

Troy
08-19-2004, 08:10 AM
Good for you !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It could have been worse. Believe me, I know.

Troy

dg-in-centralpa
08-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Carol,
Whoopie pies are two chocolate sugar cakes with a white cream in the middle, shoo - fly pie has molasses in it and is sweet, and scrapple... well I won't describe what's in it. I'll definitely let you know when the dates are.

Duane - good luck with your qualifying spot

dg-in-centralpa
08-19-2004, 02:32 PM
You got me on this one. They do play by a standard set of rules. No arguing, bitching, or anything. Hopkins, Pat McNally and several of the up and coming WPBA pros played there.

DG - Hopkins never made it to the money round

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It could have been worse <hr /></blockquote>
I Know-I thank God everyday!

[ QUOTE ]
Believe me, I know. <hr /></blockquote>
I hope you are very well! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks!
Carol

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Duane,
Im definitely a sucker for chocolate and pastries-how'd ya know?
And please do let me know the dates!
Its been a pleasure! As always! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol~taking a flight south-talk to ya next week!

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that's what I get for being blonde <hr /></blockquote>

Hey,
Cm'on now-I heard blondes have more fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Stay well!
Carol

Barbara
08-19-2004, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Carol,
Whoopie pies are two and scrapple... well I won't describe what's in it. <hr /></blockquote>

Carol,

Stay away from the scrapple!! Trust me, STAY AWAY FROM THE SCRAPPLE!!

Barbara~~~don't go there... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dg-in-centralpa
08-19-2004, 04:47 PM
The way to any woman's heart is chocolate. And we have some good chocolate factories close by. There are a lot of Amish and Mennonite people where I live. They sell there sweet things every week at our local market. No wonder I have a hard time losing weight.

Duane

dg-in-centralpa
08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
C'mon Barbara! Scrapple is like Snapple...made from the best stuff on earth. Actually I really do like scrapple a lot. I had it quite a bit as a kid. Wifey and my daughter don't care for it because of what's in it. They also don't care for other things like beef heart or beef tongue. These are quite popular here as well. The tongue is more for sandwiches, but the heart you eat with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Duane - maybe when I see Carol I'll have a candy bar for her like you got as payoff on our bet

landshark77
08-19-2004, 07:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
that's what I get for being blonde <hr /></blockquote>

Hey,
Cm'on now-I heard blondes have more fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Stay well!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

That depends on what we are doin'! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif