PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Gold Crown or Diamond ProTable

ceebee
08-17-2004, 12:29 PM
One of the local gentleman is considering a used Brunswick Gold Crown III or a used Oak Diamond Pro table. The cost of the Diamond Pro is $2600, plus setup & new cloth.
The cost of the Brunswick Gold Crown III is about $2200, plus cloth & setup.

Is there any consideration for the type of Pool Tables that this gentleman & his father compete one, that may be similar or different than the possible purchase, i.e. if they purchase the Diamond Pro, they compete locally on Bar Boxes & Brunswick Gold Crowns. vice-versa....

woody_968
08-17-2004, 01:01 PM
IMO I would go with the Diamond and wouldnt think twice about it.

As far as the Brunswick goes, you said it was a III and then it was a II, Im sure just a typing error but it makes a difference. From what I hear there arent too many people that liked the III model.

Again I think the Diamond is the right choice.

Rod
08-17-2004, 01:16 PM
One thing they should consider is the diamond has much smaller pockets. How do they feel about the pockets on the GC III's they now play on? I wouldn't want to see someone by a table so tight it destroys their confidence. Then again if their up to the challenge, why not. On a last note, how are the cushions on both tables? I've seen both with slow and dead cushions, so beware.

Rod

SnakebyteXX
08-17-2004, 01:31 PM
The GC III's have a generally poor reputation for shoddy construction. When Brunswick made the GC III they had them made offshore and switched from using top quality Italian slate to a much lower quality Brazilian slate to lower their cost of production. The result was that many of the GC III's haven't withstood the test of time.

According to what I've been hearing from several sources the GC IV's (the most recent Gold Crown) aren't a heck of a lot better. At least one dealer I've spoken to whose been in the business of selling pool tables since 1958 recently gave up his Brunswick dealership because of the overall poor quality of their newer tables. He said that he sees lots and lots of GC IV's with structural problems coming into his shop for repair.

Diamond Pro's on the other hand appear to have a sterling reputation for quality and dependability. I know nothing of their tables as I have never seen nor played on one. I do know that having said that if I were given the choice between a Brunswick Gold Crown III or a Diamond Pro - based on what I know about the GC III's and what I've heard about the DiamondPro series, I would choose the Pro in a heartbeat.

I have owned a Gold Crown II made back in the mid 1970's and it was as solid as a rock. One of the best all around playing tables that you'll ever find. I currently own a 1946 Brunswick Centennial that I am thrilled with.

So IMHO: not ALL Brunswick's have been made poorly - just some of the ones made in the last decade or two.

Snake

Cueless Joey
08-17-2004, 02:31 PM
GCIII's are nowhere near the quality of GCII's and I's.
I wouldn't even consider them b/c they make that funny sound when balls hit the cushions hard.
They're pretty hard to level too.

woody_968
08-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Good post Snake, and exactly why I was asking for clarification on if the Brunswick was a II or a III. I agree that the GCII was and is a great table, one of the best they ever made IMO. I personally would go with the Diamond, but if the Brunswick is a II then that wouldnt be a bad choice at all.

Pelican
08-17-2004, 07:52 PM
I am extremely satisfied with my Diamond Professional. Pockets are a bit tight with deep shelves by most standards but it makes you shoot to make it right not just wallow it in.

Hey Charlie, sending you PM.

Pelican

141and3c
08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
I can shed a bright light on this since I have owned both tables. I enjoyed the GCIII for many years then sold it. 3 years ago I started playing 14.1 seriously again and got a Diamond Pro 9ft. It immediately sharpend my eye and improved my overall game a lot. I've ran 55 on it and am trying to get to 100. But I took up 3C billiards seriously also, so my time is divided now. I recommend the Diamond Pro hands down. The pockects aren't so tight that you can't play well, like some of the shimmed tables you see everywhere. This thing is absolutely perfect for 9ball and straight pool. You can also order new rails with Artemis 55 cushions if you are a fanatic like me. I plan to order them eventually.

BooBoo
08-19-2004, 01:24 PM
I have owned a GCIV for about two years now, and I have to tell ya that it is one solid table. My friend owns a AR6100, which is the original GC and my table is pretty close to his. The frame on mine is massive and the rails are a little wider. The slate may be from Brazil but I don't think that makes a difference. There was a time that the GCIII was a problem table and in my opinion the GCIV is an attempt to get back to the AR6100. JMHO