PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pool books...

nAz
08-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Since I started playing this game in a league I decided I better learn all I can and quickly so I do not look too foolish. I am looking to buy at least one of these, G. Fels' Advanced Pool or Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool, which is a better buy and can Fels book be found easily?
as always all opinions are welcomed /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SecaucusFats
08-17-2004, 11:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Since I started playing this game in a league I decided I better learn all I can and quickly so I do not look too foolish. I am looking to buy at least one of these, G. Fels' Advanced Pool or Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool, which is a better buy and can Fels book be found easily?
as always all opinions are welcomed /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I have both books,and IMO,Capelle's book is far and away the better choice. There is one flaw, a recurrent typo where 'fi' appears when 1/2 should have..i.e. "use a fi tip of right / left english.

SF

Wally_in_Cincy
08-18-2004, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> .... I am looking to buy at least one of these, G. Fels' Advanced Pool or Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool, which is a better buy and can Fels book be found easily?
<hr /></blockquote>

Capelle's book is very comprehensive. He has a whole chapter just on safeties. I think it's 25 or 30 bucks.

Fels book is readily available for about 12 bucks I think. It's worth reading but it's been a while since I read it so I don't remember a lot.

Arthur Cranfeld's "The Straight Pool Bible" is an easy read and is jam-packed with good info. about 10 bucks.

socrates
08-18-2004, 08:39 AM
Agree with Wally's recommendations.

Ray Martin's 99 critical shots is also very informative regarding straight pool.

You call this pool? No this isn't pool, this is for banger's or something. Good for loud break shots good for T.V. No, Straight pool is pool. Need to be a surgeon to get a shot off, takes finese. Oh what the hell checkers sells more than chess.
Fast Eddie Felson in the Color of Money

woody_968
08-18-2004, 09:08 AM
The Straight Pool Bible should be one of the first books you get. Like Wally said, easy read and lots of info.

The next thing you should do if you can is get ahold of some taped matches with good comentary. It really helps you to see the patterns that should be played.

nAz
08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I have this one "Ray Martin's 99 critical shots" good book, i never heard of "The Straight Pool Bible" I'll check online and see if i can find it. Barnes &amp; Noble carry d!ck on pool books. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

woody_968
08-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Straight Pool Bible at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/158574025X/002-2848939-5965624?v=glance)

nAz
08-19-2004, 09:41 AM
picked up a signed copy of Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool" jeezus is that book packed with a ton of diagrams and info! can not wait to get into it... as soon as i find the time.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
08-19-2004, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> picked up a signed copy of Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool" jeezus is that book packed with a ton of diagrams and info! can not wait to get into it... as soon as i find the time.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Good luck. I've had that for over 2 years and I still haven't gotten thru the whole thing.

It's really not intended to be digested all at once, but instead it should be used like a reference book.

enjoy...

woody_968
08-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the tips, sounds like a book I need to look into.

nAz
08-19-2004, 03:22 PM
"It's really not intended to be digested all at once, but instead it should be used like a reference book."

ya that is what i read in the introduction. i read a few pages this morning and so far the book has "open my eyes" sort of can't wait to get to a table now /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dmgwalsh
08-19-2004, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> Thanks for the tips, sounds like a book I need to look into. <hr /></blockquote>

Woodman- you don't have this one yet. It has a ton of info in it. I leant it to a guy in my league. I've gone through it twice and continue to go back and look at sections.

dmgwalsh
08-19-2004, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> T
The next thing you should do if you can is get ahold of some taped matches with good comentary. It really helps you to see the patterns that should be played. <hr /></blockquote>

Even if the play in some is not real great you learn from the critiques of some of the commentators as tohow they would play it.

Also Rempe instructionals and Sigel instructionals , and Grady has one on straight that talks about a lot of break shots, as I recall. Dennis