PDA

View Full Version : About kick systems of book " Pool Player´s Edge "

tito
08-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi to all the members of this forum.

I need help about the one-rail kick system that the book Pool Player´s Edge by Gerry Kanov and Shari Stauch.

Well in page 94,95 and 96, Gerry comment a system to make kick shots when the cue ball go to one rail first. The example that he make in his book it´s really obvious and easy.

My doubt is: How can I know the system when the cue ball and object balls aren´t near the rails?

How do you make the math system with this examples?

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

Here the CB go first to the long rail.

Using the System of Gerry, How is the math here?

START(
%A[0L3%PN9U9%QW5A7%WW5E1%XO5U1%]Z3J3%^X4C7

)END

It´s easy when the balls are near the rail but when they´re near the middle of the table...

another exampble: How do you make the math and the result it´s that point A?

START(
%Aj3I7%PI6O7%Q]0B1%W\8D3%XJ2O0%]h6H8%^]8D0

)END

I hope you can help me, really thanks for alls.

Pelican
08-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Hi Tito, spend some time just kickin'. Diamonds are fine for easy evenly matched kicks. More complicated kicks require an "eye" for the angle. You will gain this by getting on the table. I spend about 30 minutes of practice on kicks and another 30 on banks. Do it enough and you will "see" it without having to break out a calculator.

Good luck, Pel /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

woody_968
08-18-2004, 09:35 AM
To find your cueball position extend the line from your aim point through the cueball back to the rail, and adjust your aimpoint untill the formula works out.

This is an example of the first shot you posted, I simply extended the line back to the rail with the yellow line, this point is your cueball position.

START(
%A[0L3%PN9U9%QW5A7%UQ2Q8%VK1]5%WW5E1%XO5U1%]Z3J3%^X4C7

)END

As was mentioned, systems are good, but to get really good takes practice.

Bob_Jewett
08-18-2004, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tito:</font><hr>
I need help about the one-rail kick system that the book Pool Player´s Edge by Gerry Kanov and Shari Stauch.
<hr /></blockquote>
I assume that this is a system that assumes the cushions work like perfect mirrors, reflecting the ball out at the same angle that it comes in along.

You can use the diamonds by extending the line of the cue ball, as mentioned before. This is the standard way that most people who use diamond systems find out where the cue ball is "coming from."

Another way, if you are practicing to hit a particular target is to put an extra object ball at the "mirror image" of the object ball you are trying to hit. It is done like this: put a ball frozen to the cushion that you are banking on, and as close as possible to the object ball you are trying to hit. On a bar stool (or other suitable stand at about the height of the table) place an object ball (call it the "mirror ball") in a straight line with the other two balls and as far from the frozen ball as is the ball you want to hit. If you shoot at the "mirror ball" you should hit the object ball, if the rail works like a mirror. Note that this system doesn't care where the cue ball starts, so that if you have marked the object ball's position and replace it, the "mirror ball" remains the theoretically correct target for one-cushion banks to that rail.

Also, this system lets you plan to hit a particular side or fullness of the object ball to the extent that the system works and you keep unintended spin off the cue ball.

This system gives slightly different numbers than most systems that count diamonds because most counting systems ignore the fact that the cue ball rebounds from the nose of the cushion and the diamonds are back on the rail several inches.

Pelican
08-18-2004, 02:02 PM
OK, the diamond and cushion nose deal. You aim for the diamond not where the diamond comes out to the edge of the cushion. In your standard corner to side pocket kick if you hit the rail at the second diamond you're going long. Aim at the diamond and you hit the rail ahead of it. Also, angle in angle out is a hypothetical based on the fact that all rails rebound the same, the shot is made at perfect medium speed, and no high, low or side english was in effect when the CB contacts the rail.

Get on the table!!! Best way to learn. Also learn to adjust using english. Back to the corner to side kick. If the second diamond impact spot is blocked by another ball learn to adjust with left or right english. You can go in at a diamond and a half with one tip of english and at one diamond with two. You can go to the third diamond with a tip and a half and a little low. Trial and error. Set up shots that give repeatability so you can make small adjustmenbts to see how they affect the CB travel.

Practice, Practice, Practice. It's how you make babies too /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif,

Later, Pel

tito
08-19-2004, 09:44 AM
Hi

thanks for all answers, well I try to improve my kick shots extending my cue and making a lot of drills.

the systems it´s hard when you´re in a championship but I think that it´s something that you need to know.

really thanks for alls.