PDA

View Full Version : Happy Anniversary Woodstock!

dg-in-centralpa
08-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Happy 35th Anniversary to Woodstock. Unfortunately, I was to young to go, I've been to the site several times. Each time there were old hippies sitting and telling stories of the concert and all that went on. Anyone out there that went to the concert care to share their memories?

DG - loves the 60's music

Barbara
08-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Duane,

They were showing the Woodstock videos on HBO on Monday. I couldn't hang for the whole thing, good thing I have the tapes courtesy of 9/11 fundraising on WHYY TV. I would've given the money, anyway.

Barbara~~~remember 9/11... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cueball1950
08-18-2004, 07:19 PM
well dg. let me remember. Woodstock is only about 40 miles from my house. We drove about as far as we could and still had to walk about 7 or 8 miles to get there. And this was on thursday. All i can remember is the rain. our yent was soaked from the rain. you had to walk like forever to go to the bathroom. (NOT enough of them). My friends and myself got back to our tent and 2 young ladies had already moved in thinking it was abandoned cuz we were gone for over 2 hours to go potty. it rained so hard and long that there was a new pond in the middle of the field that we all decided to go skinny dipping in. was about 4' deep as i recall. The music was so great. a little distorted from being outside. but still great all the same. you could not get even close to the stage. people there invented a new olympic sport. MUD SLIDING. Even the cops were getting high. they could not even get near the center of the crowd we were so packed in. All in All a great time was had by all. there were alot of intimate and sincere times that cannot be discussed on here. After all. it was the "generation of love" And peace. i firmly believe that there were people there for weeks after it was over. They did not seem to know where to go. Like little lost children.
those were some good old days. never to be repeated again in my life time.....................mike

PS.... never did get our tent back in the end. went to listen to more music and when we came back. everything was gone..oh well.. they must have needed it.....peace and love and power to the people

dg-in-centralpa
08-18-2004, 07:35 PM
I've seen the movie many times and listened to the cd's hundreds more. I was only 10 at that time. Amazing how all those people got along with very few altercations. Wish I could go back in time to go to the concert. Do you have any memorabilia from the concert? I have an original poster and I used to have several sets of original unused tickets. I sold the tickets but the poster is hanging here at home.

DG(Duane)

cueball1950
08-18-2004, 09:45 PM
God DG, i wish i had everything. But who knew. I had my tickets up to about 20 years ago. They got lost in the move somehow. When you wacth WOODSTOCK the movie. i believe you will see me in the distance. Look for a line of people in a pond skinny dipping. I believe i am the 4th one to the right. At least it looks like it is me. i remember going skinny dipping in that giant puddle. There were some arrests and some people were hospitalized for drug over doses and some kids from exhaustion cuz it was so non stop dancing. Lucky for me i was not into to many chemicals like others.But for the most part, the cops left us pretty much to ourselves. Any hassles i believe until this day would have resulted in nothing short of a giant riot. Your post has made me remember many a good memory from that era. I don't know why. But i have not been back there since. lately i hear that they are going to turn that farm into a small concert venue. thanks for the memories and the walk down memory lane..........peace.................mike

stickman
08-18-2004, 10:18 PM
I would have loved to have been there, but I didn't. The only thing close was a miniature version I went to on a farm near Pittsburg, Kansas. It lasted for about a week, day and night. I went to Pitts State. Those were the days. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
08-19-2004, 03:36 AM
Duane,
This is so funny (I was too young also),but the other day, my daughters on some website where you can punch in an artist or song and it plays, so, I tell her punch in "Country Joe &Fish" she does, I tell her play that song,I turn up the volume,all of sudden,
'Gimme an F............." ha ha ha-my other daughter comes out of her room and says "What the heck is that,Ma"
I laughed!
Carol

pooltchr
08-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Cueball...did you happen to catch the Watkins Glen concert in '73 with The Band, The Allman Brothers, and the Dead? It was a miniature version of Woodstock without all the rain. Woodstock was a one time event. Yes it was wet, miserable, crowded and filled with inconvenience...but on the up side, filled with memories that will last forever. I remember a really fantastic band that performed several songs. Some long haired kid named Carlos Santana played the guitar. The first time I heard him, I became a fan for life. In a way, it seems like an awful long time ago, but in other ways, it could have been yesterday.

Barbara
08-19-2004, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Look for a line of people in a pond skinny dipping. I believe i am the 4th one to the right. At least it looks like it is me. i remember going skinny dipping in that giant puddle.<hr /></blockquote>

I remember that scene!! There was about 8 or 10 of you and you were "rowing the boat" together and trying to sing the melody!! Wow!!

Barbara

UWPoolGod
08-19-2004, 08:05 AM
I went in '99, had a fun time. Went to Philly to meet one of my brothers girl friends and then rode the bus up to to site. She got "Metallica" painted across her 36D's and sat on my shoulders screaming "Metallica +i++ies coming through!!". Like parting the Red Sea we walked through 100K fans up to the 10th row. LOL..they'll move if the see boobs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eric.
08-19-2004, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> those were some good old days. never to be repeated again in my life time.....................mike

<hr /></blockquote>

Don't be so sure, Mike...

I went to the 2nd Woodstock in '94. Let me tell ya the "Reader's Digest" version:

We drove to upstate NY on a Fri afternoon. We had tickets and a prepaid parking spot. This where things change. After sitting in hours of traffic, we find out that our lot is full, we get bounced to another lot, which is also full, which we are then bounced to Lester Oskovic's(sp) farm where we finally park. The traffic is so bad, we can''t even get to Woodstock and party at the farm with about 300 other people there. The next day, we hitch a ride to get within 5 miles of Woodstock, then walk the rest because traffic wasn't moving. We get there Sat. afternoon just in time to hear Joe Cocker open with "Feelin alright", pitch tent and jump into the crowd to get to one of two stages. It was so crowded, it took 2 hours to walk the 500 feet to get near the north stage. We decided to stay there because it would take all day to leave and come back. Then it started to rain. And rain. Finally, when the rain stopped, it started raining again. By this time, the place turned to soup. Nothing but mud. You couldn't walk anymore. Instead, you shuffled/shimmied thru the mud to move. Well anyway, a group of us met each other for the first time, started talking and partying. One of the girls offered some acid to lighten things up, we ditched our clothes because they were soaked and covered in mud...

Sound familiar?

Eric &gt;10 years after

dg-in-centralpa
08-19-2004, 02:16 PM
What a great tune! Sometime you'll have to explain to your daughters the importance of Woodstock. There were so many great performances. I used to have a bootleg cd's of Hendrix and The Who's full shows. Awesome!

DG - tho I wasn't there, I'm still a hippie at heart