PDA

View Full Version : Is the Draft inevitable?

Qtec
08-19-2004, 03:03 AM
US soldier sues over Iraq call-up

A veteran US soldier is suing the Defence Department over its plans to forcibly extend his reservist's contract and send him to Iraq.
The man, known by the pseudonym John Doe, has been with the army for nine years and last year served in Iraq.

He took on a one-year reservist contract after returning to the US and may now be required to return to Iraq under the army's "stop-loss" policy.

Thousands of soldiers' tours of duty have been stretched under the policy.

Mr Doe's contract was due to have expired in December this year.

But the summoning of his California-based unit to Iraq could extend his period of service by up to two years.

The army has argued that the policy is vital to ensure the army is staffed by seasoned professionals at times of emergency.

But Mr Doe's lawyers say the US Congress has not officially declared war in Iraq or elsewhere, so the emergency provision enabling the army to forcibly extend soldiers' contracts is illegal.
"American citizens cannot constitutionally be required to serve involuntarily and indefinitely at whim," the lawsuit says.

Does he have a point? You cant have it both ways, you are either at war or you are not.[There were no POWs taken in Afgahnistan, I dont know about Iraq.]
If this guy wins his case, will the Govt be forced to introduce the draft?
Would the American people accept it?
Would it be a draft with no exceptions?
Is this the begining of the end for GW? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Your thoughts.

Q
[ whatever happens, Iraq cannot be abandoned to the religious fanatics. That would be a disaster for everybody, Iraqis included]

catscradle
08-19-2004, 04:34 AM
The draft sucked. It led to the literal waste of 4 years of my life. The only time in my life that had no redeeming value whatsoever to me was the 4 years I spent in the service. I take that back it had 2 redeeming qualities. Ever since then I've always kept my "gig line" straight and I know how to make a "hospital corner" when making a bed. Valuable stuff.
Only people who want to be in the military should be there unless the equivalent of WWII should arise again. Iraq is not WWII. OTOH anybody who joined the reserves, well that's the chance you take.

pooltchr
08-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Having done my military service during Viet Nam, I personally think the draft is not such a bad idea. I volunteered because it gave me more options than waiting to be drafted. I did not particularly like the military, but I have said many times since then, that I would never go back in, but I would not take anything for the experience.

Military service really does turn boys into men. I was a selfish, self-centered kid when I headed off to basic. In the next 4 years, I learned a lot about teamwork, looking out for others, and also learned that if I pushed myself, I could do things I never would have thought possible. In short....I grew up! I can also tell you that once you have put your life on the line for someone else, you don't look at things quite the same ever again. I wasn't a military hero, I was a military surviver, but I know I am a better person for having had that experience.

This country is always going to need a strong, well trained military. I have to think that if every 18 year old spent a couple of years in service to their country, a lot of the problems we have in this country would be greatly reduced. Some of these punks running around the streets shooting each other and thinking they can do whatever the want, might get a better understanding of life with the "guidence" of Uncle Sam.
Steve

nhp
08-19-2004, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Having done my military service during Viet Nam, I personally think the draft is not such a bad idea. I volunteered because it gave me more options than waiting to be drafted. I did not particularly like the military, but I have said many times since then, that I would never go back in, but I would not take anything for the experience.

Military service really does turn boys into men. I was a selfish, self-centered kid when I headed off to basic. In the next 4 years, I learned a lot about teamwork, looking out for others, and also learned that if I pushed myself, I could do things I never would have thought possible. In short....I grew up! I can also tell you that once you have put your life on the line for someone else, you don't look at things quite the same ever again. I wasn't a military hero, I was a military surviver, but I know I am a better person for having had that experience.

This country is always going to need a strong, well trained military. I have to think that if every 18 year old spent a couple of years in service to their country, a lot of the problems we have in this country would be greatly reduced. Some of these punks running around the streets shooting each other and thinking they can do whatever the want, might get a better understanding of life with the "guidence" of Uncle Sam.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I agree that the military is good for SOME young guys, but not all. I cannot count how many punks I have ran into who think they are tough s*** just because they are Navy boys or Marines. When I see them at bars or clubs, they are always quick to throw a punch if some guy tells one of them to stop harassing his girlfriend. They are trained to kill, and many of them go into the civilian world acting like monsters. I was in the Army myself, and I have many friends in the service. Alot of people, the service straightened them out. It also screwed up how many of them think too.