PDA

View Full Version : MOUSE FREEZES UP 'PUTER

Troy
08-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Out of nowhere my mouse freezes up and 'puter follows by freezing up. The only way out is to force power off and back on.

Any ideas folks ??? Or just replace the mouse ???

Thanks,
Troy

Rod
08-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Probably just the mouse Troy, I had similar happen to me a year or so ago. It was intermittent. I quit using those ball mices. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I suppose you don't have a spare mouse you could try since you ask, or plug it in another computer?

Rod

Troy
08-24-2004, 04:14 PM
I replaced the ball mouse yesterday with an optical mouse.
(Now my mouse has no balls but a red belly button... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

'Puter (aka FRED) still occasionally freezes but less often. I'm now thinking that it may be heat and I need to pull the unit out of the closed cabinet it's in and just put it on the floor. Vacuuming the fan area might also help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It's only been in there about 5 years... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Troy

Rod
08-24-2004, 04:27 PM
LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Hey, heat can be a big factor, after 5 years there's gots to be furr balls in there on the fan and in the heat sink. An added note is the CPU fan may need replaced. There cheap and easy to replace if needed.

Rod

Ross
08-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Do you mean your cursor freezes up? Or the physical mouse itself?

Sid_Vicious
08-24-2004, 04:58 PM
Good question, and also, "Do you have the ability to ctl-alt-del and get to the task manager?" Mine used to freeze solid with no computer access at all, requiring a hard boot. I tried finding the conflict and finally bought a new mouse after many hours of stubborn attempts and time, installed the new driver and fixed the problem. It's more of a resource issue, probably due to something you have installed recently, say piece of camera software or something...sid

Troy
08-24-2004, 06:47 PM
Sid & Ross -- It's a "hard freeze" requiring a forced power off/power on to recover. It appeared to me to be the mouse 'cuz that was the first synptom. Alt-CtlDel does nothing. The only recent updates have been automatic Norton "Live Updates", but I've been getting those updates since January with no trouble until recently.

Rod -- I opened the cabinet door (main box inside was fairly warm) and left it open to cool. The door has now been open since my last post (about 3 hours) with no freeze up, yet. That's not unusual though, sometimes it will go 5-6 hours, sometimes only 5-10 minutes.

I'm really thinking heat now and will investigate further.

Thanks guys... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy...~~~ Admittedly 'puter illiterate

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Good question, and also, "Do you have the ability to ctl-alt-del and get to the task manager?" Mine used to freeze solid with no computer access at all, requiring a hard boot. I tried finding the conflict and finally bought a new mouse after many hours of stubborn attempts and time, installed the new driver and fixed the problem. It's more of a resource issue, probably due to something you have installed recently, say piece of camera software or something...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
08-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Troy,

Take when you have time off the fan to the processor, 4 little phillips screws and it comes right off. The heat sink behind it might be full of lint that a vacuum won't pull out because the fan is in the way.

Turn off the power and ground yourself to the case in case of static electricity. It might be fairly clean since it's not stored in the open, but who knows. I mentioned the fan itself might be going bad. Do like I did before my fan went out.( It was noisy and about to go) Take a house fan and direct the stream with the computer fan in place if you want. That cools them down. I've done tests doing such and knocked off over 10 degrees in some cases. If it's a heat issue you'll soon find out.

Rod

Troy
08-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks much Rod... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
No fan noise.
No problems since 3 PM with the cabinet door open
I'll dig into the main box tomorrow AM to have a look.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Troy,

Take when you have time off the fan to the processor, 4 little phillips screws and it comes right off. The heat sink behind it might be full of lint that a vacuum won't pull out because the fan is in the way.

Turn off the power and ground yourself to the case in case of static electricity. It might be fairly clean since it's not stored in the open, but who knows. I mentioned the fan itself might be going bad. Do like I did before my fan went out.( It was noisy and about to go) Take a house fan and direct the stream with the computer fan in place if you want. That cools them down. I've done tests doing such and knocked off over 10 degrees in some cases. If it's a heat issue you'll soon find out.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
08-25-2004, 09:16 PM
I vacuumed the cabinet and the fan port on the 'puter. Actually wasn't that bad. Leaving the cabinet door open has resulted in no problems since 7:00AM. Closed the door for about half an hour and the top of the 'puter case became fairly warm to the touch, not really hot, but it did get warm.
I was too lazy to take the case cover off for a look inside. Another day I'll have a look inside.

Thanks for all the help... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy