PDA

View Full Version : Room Size

jliechty
08-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Ok, so here's the deal....Moving into a brand new house, and would love to get a pool table.....the only room it will work in is only 12 feet wide (length not an issue) I've looked at numerous room size suggestions, and 12' just isn't enough by those standards......so I'm curious......should I get over this pool table fantasy or can it work???

Bob_Jewett
08-19-2004, 05:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jliechty:</font><hr> Ok, so here's the deal....Moving into a brand new house, and would love to get a pool table.....the only room it will work in is only 12 feet wide (length not an issue) I've looked at numerous room size suggestions, and 12' just isn't enough by those standards......so I'm curious......should I get over this pool table fantasy or can it work??? <hr /></blockquote>
It only works if you're willing to move the table against one wall and use it just for practice. I know someone who did that, and he's happy with it, but I wouldn't be.

brian_
08-19-2004, 05:46 PM
No non load baring walls you could move or take out to make room for it? What room is on the other side of the interior wall width wise? Just something to thing about if your really serious about having a table and room to play on it.

GeorgeV
08-20-2004, 01:16 PM
I was in a similar situation with an 8' table I bought just after I bought my home about 2 yrs ago. I wanted a table but had only 12' of width to work with. My desire for a table overshadowed my good sense, and I got the table anyway. Figured I could use a short stick on perpendicular cross-table shots off the rail. Bad idea. It wasn't a problem if I was horsing around with someone for one of us to pull out the short stick, but those games were few and far between. Mostly, I practiced more seriously on the table by myself. Had to keep "cheating" by moving the ball further out toward the center of the table for a lot of shots. I'd find myself playing proper position only to find that I didn't have enough room to make the shot. Very frustrating.

Finally, after several months, I got more serious about my game and decided to knock out one of the walls. Had so much room afterward that I traded in my 8' table on a new 9-ftr. Couldn't be happier. Would have saved a lot of time, frustration, and money if I had done that to start with.

Lesson learned.

bluewolf
08-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I have read room dimensions recommended on various sites and thought they were too cramped. After taking the table size, the cue length and so forth, 16x20 seemed comfortable for a 9ft. We had an 8 ft in our condo and it was really cramped.

In our new place, we have the length 20 feet and it is comfortable.

Laura

Brady_Behrman
08-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Figure on 5 feet around the table.

7' table : 13 1/2 x 17
8' : 14 x 18
9' : 14 1/2 x 19
12' Snooker : May need Hugh Heffners House

There is a GREAT short cue called the Trouble-Shooter that is the BEST short cue I have ever seen

I have put tables in house where MAYBE 3 feet around the table

I put a table in the house of a Guy Named, Chad Hugo (He is in a Hip Hop Group) N.E.R.D. or "Neptunes" and he had a sun room that was probally 11 x 12 and bought a fancy 8 foot table from my Dad (Q-masters). I think he ended up giving it to Fa Ral, his Partner.

Best of Luck!

i have seen much worse then 12 ' for a 7 foot, but you will certainly enjoy the game much better in an appropriate room. Tell the wife, "Sorry, The Master Bedroom, is MY POOL ROOM" LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif , I will be reading about you in the obits... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Best of Luck
Brady

HERE IS THE TROUBLE SHOOTER (http://www.billiardstore.com/troubleshooter/troubleshooter.htm)

Icon of Sin
08-22-2004, 06:01 PM
I have an 7 footer in a 11 foot wide room. Fortunatly the butt unscrews from my breaker and makes a great shorty stick. I can not move a wall in this room unfortuanly like someone above suggested, but it is definately fun and playable using the shorty cue.

Even if you cant knock a wall down I say get the table and use the short stick, just dont let yourself get into the habit of playing without it or playing position to avoid the wall. Just use the short stick whenever needed.