PDA

View Full Version : best pool table color

05-11-2002, 05:15 PM
Hi, I own a pub in michigan where we host local tournaments twice a week.I have been bicthing at some of the players for bringing green chalk and using it on my red table and making it look like hell.some of the players say,a green table is better to shoot on,some say green chalk is better,I say that red is the preferred color and for god's sake the color of the chalk does'nt mean a thing,I say these people are just cry babys that use any excuse when they have a bad day.The red cover fits into my decor in my pub.

cheesemouse
05-11-2002, 05:37 PM
T-bone,
I would play on your <font color=red>red</font color=red> tables one time and not even once if I knew they were <font color=red>red</font color=red> in advance. Pool is <font color=green>green</font color=green>, when is see <font color=green>green</font color=green> things I think of pool, when I think of pool the sky turns <font color=green>green</font color=green>.
P.S. I think you made this post just to <font color=yellow>#iss me off</font color=yellow>.

Troy
05-11-2002, 07:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: T-Bone:</font><hr> Hi, I own a pub in michigan where we host local tournaments twice a week.I have been bicthing at some of the players for bringing green chalk and using it on my red table and making it look like hell.some of the players say,a green table is better to shoot on,some say green chalk is better,I say that red is the preferred color and for god's sake the color of the chalk does'nt mean a thing,I say these people are just cry babys that use any excuse when they have a bad day.The red cover fits into my decor in my pub. <hr></blockquote>

I don't care what color your green cloth is, but do NOT ask me to use "@$%&amp;" RED chalk. Red chalk has the MOST troublesome dye of all the chalk colors. Using red chalk will put a stain on a cue shaft that is nearly impossible to clean.

Troy

stickman
05-11-2002, 07:14 PM
I like the traditional green felt. I prefer blue masters chalk. The green chalk I've used didn't work very well.

05-11-2002, 07:22 PM
After many years in the business, I can tell you that green (preferably either Simonis yellow/green, standard green or dark green) are the best color for pool tables in a poolroom or bar, and blue chalk is strangely enough the standard chalk color even for all shades of green cloth. Why the best cloth color - easiest to play on for long periods without the eyes tiring and the balls show up well. If you're in to the psychology of colors at all I've been told that red may possibly promote anger, agitation &amp; frustration - which you certainly don't need when mixed with alcohol and possibly gambling. If you do stay with red (or preferably burgundy), of course you should require and provide close to the same color chalk as the cloth color - so the chalk marks won't show up so bad. - Chris in NC

Rod
05-11-2002, 08:17 PM
Green is the prefered cloth color, with blue a distant second. If your going to keep using red cloth then you will have to police the chalk used. There is a pub near me that has red cloth, but I don't go there anymore since they changed colors. Red is just to hard on my eyes.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Green is scientifically the most receptive color to the eye. Because of this, it will not cause eye strain. Blue is a distant second.

05-11-2002, 09:51 PM
Color has nothing to do with how a cloth plays or how chalk adheres to a cue. I use blue Triangle but that is just my preference. If I were to play in your tournament I would use your red chalk.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-11-2002, 09:55 PM
With an opinion like that.. you would be welcome at any tournament..

05-11-2002, 11:08 PM
red is horrible and if the "decor of your pub" is your #1 priority, then you should just remove the tables and replace them with pictures of tables because anyone really interested in pool would cringe at the thought of having to play on a bright as the sun, candy store, red felted table.

PoolFool
05-11-2002, 11:10 PM
I will not play on a red table. Just my personal thing. They had one red table where I play on only the ball bangers would play on it. Took it out after about a month.

PoolFool

rackmup
05-12-2002, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=red>Red</font color=red> is hot, initiating, fire, stimulating, vitality, anger, life-force energy, change, ambition, grounding, Earth, Gaia, power, passion, alert, danger, positive, aggression, liberation, survival, primal, awakening and emerging. <hr></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=green>Green</font color=green> is sedative, cooling, calming, soothing, fluidity, growth, balance, money/prosperity, birth, new beginnings, nature, health, healing, heart, loving, expansion, curiosity, good for people who do precision work, space, trust, feelings, integrity, harmony, seeking truth and relationships.<hr></blockquote>

And as for chalk color:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=blue>Blue</font color=blue> is calming, deep inner peace, nurturing Mother and protecting/benevolent Father, deep, restful, openness, cooling, relaxing, higher mental activities, insight, wisdom, sky, water, sadness, faithful, unity and safety.<hr></blockquote>

Hey...this scientific crap doesn't lie.

Regards,

Ken

Rich R.
05-12-2002, 06:37 AM
With RED cloth on your tables, you are lucky if you have any pool playing customers to complain about.
In a public pool room or bar, the cloth should be green.
At home green is still preferable, but whatever color your spouse will agree to is fine.
Rich R.~~~has grey at home and it works fine.

Sid_Vicious
05-12-2002, 07:15 AM
You already have the right answers here from others, green. I always find arguements though when I stress simonis..."naw thay aren't going to spend the extra on the cloth, money thing ya know." Well what people need to understand is that simonis lasts LONGER, enough to surpass the added cost. You are already paying labor for an install, and simonis means something to anybody who knows a little about the game. Maybe you owning a pub changes things a bit, bar players/bar rules...well your red cloth might fit in with that crowd.

I'd forget about the off color chalk on the red cloth concern and start planning on the next cloth change,,,,to green...sid~~~will still get those same arguements about simonis

Btw, DO NOT ever get talked into trying tan colored cloth. One stain and that table will look permanently ugly. Take my word for it. SV

05-12-2002, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Green is scientifically the most receptive color to the eye. Because of this, it will not cause eye strain. Blue is a distant second.
<hr></blockquote>

I went for blue Simonis. Look at most of the cloth that appears on tables in commercials. The cloth is blue. Must have something to do with the lighting and reflection of the cloth. That is not why I chose blue. Just wanted to soften the look of the table.

Harold Acosta
05-12-2002, 02:50 PM
T-bone, no offense, but if you're the owner, you're supposed to brush your tables every night and maintain those darn things, tables, I mean.

This is a common problem anywhere. I've seen people use red and gold chalk on green tables, green and blue chalk at Camel (gold) colored tables, even black chalk! Some people have strange/weird explanations for using a particular colored chalk, so deal with it and just give your tables proper maintenance.

JimS
05-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Pool table cloth is green, chalk is blue. No discussion.

Jay M
05-13-2002, 06:42 AM
I'd add that red chalk does some truly horrible things to your hands, clothes and cue. Even when I play on a table with red cloth, I really prefer to use my blue masters chalk.

Jay M&lt;-- Has spent hours and hours getting the red chalk out of his ferrule

Brady_Behrman
05-13-2002, 06:46 AM
Green is the Most natural color to the eye.

There is a new cleaner for cloth that David Hodges (Parrot Cues) has invented.

Email me if you want some info...

Brady@Q-Masters.com

05-16-2002, 12:35 AM
To my absolute surprise, the few times I've played on it I have found the gold/mustard color the easiest to see the balls on. I realize I'm probably alone here, but believe me it surprised me as well!

05-16-2002, 07:34 AM
Good post Ken...

Not your usual retort though...

RonC (rgc) in SC (Green is THE only color for a pool table!)