PDA

View Full Version : Straight pool league question

sliprock
08-20-2004, 12:43 AM
My friends and I are thinking of starting a small league for straight pool, and I was wondering if someone could provide a link or explaination of the format used along with a description of the handicapping formula used. Thanks.

dmgwalsh
08-20-2004, 03:38 AM
I'm sure you'll get better responses as the day goes on, but I'll just for now let you know how our league is formatted.
We play 2 games with each opponent each session. Alternate breaks. Everyone has a handicap, based on their strength. Their "handicap" is the score they must go to in the games that week.
For example, the strongest player in the league had a handicap of 165 and the weakest player had a handicap of about 40, I think.

In the above hypothetical match, if the stronger player won bothe games, next week his handicap would be 170 and the other guy would be 35. If they split both games, handicaps would remain the same. If the 40 won, he'd be a 45 next week and the 165 would be a 160. It wouldn't matter if the margin of visctory was one ball or 100, under this system. The effects would be the same.

I'm getting in another league this fall, where i think the scoring is similar, but nobody goes under a certain handicap.
There may also be upper limits because of time constrainst, but I don't know,

i'd be curious to hear how other leagues are handicapped. Dennis

Bob_Jewett
08-20-2004, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sliprock:</font><hr> My friends and I are thinking of starting a small league for straight pool, and I was wondering if someone could provide a link or explaination of the format used along with a description of the handicapping formula used. Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
There is a 14.1 league in this area currently in three pool halls. It is going to have a combined playoff, but that is just being set up now. For a single room, the league works like this:

Matches are handicapped. The handicapping charts are on the "Misc files" page on the website below. Let me know if you can't find them. The handicap depends on the difference between the ratings of the two players, and the length of the match depends on how long you want it to take and the rating of the better player.

Ratings are adjusted after each match. Right now, it is plus or minus three rating points for each match. Better players have higher ratings.

In the long run, the handicaps will give 50-50 chances in all matches, theoretically.

The season is ten weeks or so. There is no schedule -- matches are made up of the people who show up each week. If you want to play a second match that night, it's OK if you can find an opponent, but there is a 15-match maximum in the season. If there is an odd number of people, the league operator sits out the first round, but then has first dibs on the second round.

Standing are by number of wins. This gives an advantage to people who play more matches. Losses are used only as a tie-breaker.

Top 4 or so (with a minimum number of matches) go into the playoffs. One room pays back something to every player who played enough matches to qualify for the playoffs but didn't have enough wins to be in the top 4.

$10 per player per match, about half of which goes into the prize fund. No trophies, but one room has a permanent plaque of league winners.

Let me know if you need any other info.

dmgwalsh
08-20-2004, 01:07 PM
The handicap depends on the difference between the ratings of the two players

I saw the numbers on the charts but how are players actually rated in your system? What are the number ratings? How are they determined?

Bob_Jewett
08-20-2004, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> The handicap depends on the difference between the ratings of the two players

I saw the numbers on the charts but how are players actually rated in your system? What are the number ratings? How are they determined? <hr /></blockquote>
At the start you have to guess some. It helps if you know the relative speeds of the players. After the initial guess, the ratings fix themselves by the adjustment after each match.

Since the ratings are related by difference, the scale is not absolute -- if you add 100 to everybody, the differences stay the same. In our league, someone who runs 100 once per season would be rated at about 800, and someone who is just learning to play might be rated at 200 or 100 (but there are none of those in the league). Someone who often runs a 30+ in matches would be about 750. If you have per-inning averages on players, you could roughly figure fair games and then get rating differences from the match-up tables, but BPI is not a perfect indicator of relative ability.