PDA

View Full Version : Allen Hopkins Q skill rating score

Cuemage
05-11-2002, 06:38 PM
I did my 1st 2 sessions today and scored a 98 & a 114. I consider this just fair as I was hungover from my promotion party and not in rhythmn until deep into the 2nd session.
Man-o-man, how those early mistakes really affect your score.
I played on a tight pocket 9' Diamond
I have to say this proved to be more fruitful than just knockin 'em around.

Thanks for tha practice idea

Tha Cuemage

05-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Cuemage, the Q-Skill is a great drill to test one's skills and discipline. One key I've found to obtaining a good score is that you must play very careful and conservative the first 7 or 8 balls. Take your easiest shots (preferably short shots) with simple positioning patterns. Don't try too hard to break out problem clusters if there is too much risk of missing the shot or leaving yourself no shot. Once you get down to 7 or 8 balls, then you must really start thinking and planning in order to leave the final 5 balls that are sitting in positions that will allow you a good chance to run them out in rotation.

If, following the open break you think there is any possibly chance of missing that first shot - by all means take advantage of the options provided for a minus 1 penalty - which is a small price to pay for starting out with a good shot and avoiding an early miss which is so costly to your score. I rarely practice the Q-Skill drill, but the last time I did recently I scored a personal high of 184, and that was with a 7 in one frame. I'd be smart to retire on that one and never try it again. - Chris in NC

Tom_In_Cincy
05-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Tough drill INDEED.. very demanding.. the last time I did this drill was about a year ago.. I scored a 121. My all time high.. prior to that.. I was averaging right around 100

Cuemage
05-12-2002, 07:23 AM
Hi Chri,

The strategy is certainly necessary to score well. Too often, I tried to breakout clusters early, or decided to get the tough shots over early. This left me with several low scores. I'll focus more on strategy the next time..I didn't even shoot a warm up session, so I expect the 98 to be my lowest score. Thanks for tha info.

Tha Cuemage

MikeM
05-12-2002, 09:46 AM
I did my first ever Q Skill session at lunch on Friday. Started the first rack with a 16. Would have been a 20 except while getting perfect position on the 15 I rattled the 10. I'm thinking "this is easy" Next rack... 2, next rack... 3, next... -1!!. By that time I was smacking the balls out of frustration. I ended up with a 67. No where to go but up!

MM

BTW congrats on the promotion!

05-12-2002, 10:44 AM
snip from Chris's post:
I rarely practice the Q-Skill drill, but the last time I did recently I scored a personal high of 184, and that was with a 7 in one frame.

Hi Chris.
I don't know if I am understanding this test correctly. A perfect rack is 20 points. The highest possible score would be 200 which is 10 perfect racks. So if you got 7 in one rack, that means in the other 9 racks you got something like six 20s and three 19s. Great shooting. I never tried this test. I would probably score about 20 or 30. Maybe I'll give it a try next time I practice.

PoolFan
05-13-2002, 08:36 AM
Can someone refresh my memory on this drill?

Is this the drill where you rack all 15 balls, break and run the first 10 in any order then the last five in rotation? If so, how do you score it? One point first each of the first 10 balls and two for each of the last five?

How do you score a scratch on the break? And what is this minus one rule I read in this thread.

I'm curious to try this drill out and determine my score.

05-13-2002, 08:44 AM
Here is a link for the rules and a scorecard.
http://www.nmt.edu/~billiard/qskills_scorecard.html

05-13-2002, 08:49 AM
I was able to copy and paste the rules below. I was not able to copy the scorecard for you.

Instructions
1. Rack fifteen balls on the Foot Spot, in any order, and place the cue ball on the Head Spot. Break the balls. If you miscue or miss the cue ball completely, it is a foul. Re-rack, break again and subtract one from your score. If you miscue and contact the rack, you may choose to continue shooting, leaving the balls where they lie and not take a foul.

2. If you scratch on the break, it is a minus 1, unless the cue ball goes off the table, then it is a minus 2. After a scratch on the break, you may place the cue ball on either the Head Spot or Foot Spot and shoot any ball on the table, or place the cue ball anywhere behind the Head String and shoot any ball above the Head String. On the break, if you scratch or the cue ball goes off the table, all balls made on the break stay down but do not count as points. If you do not scratch on the break, then all balls made on the break count as one point each.

3. After the break, if you do not have a shot or do not like the shot you have, you may choose one of three options. (a) Place the cue ball anywhere behind the Head String and shoot any ball above the Head String. (b) Place the cue ball on either the Head Spot or the Foot Spot and shoot any ball. (c) Place the rack over the cue ball (where it lies) and move the cue ball anywhere inside the rack and shoot any ball. All of the options noted above are a penalty and incur a minus 1.

4. After the break, whether you made a ball or not, proceed to shoot, calling each shot. Try to run the table, shooting the ball in any order until there are five balls remaining. If you do pocket ten balls, then the last five balls must be shot in rotation (in numerical order starting with the lowest number ball). If you miss a shot, the rack is over. The first ten balls score 1 point each, and the last five balls score 2 points each. On each rack you can score a maximum of 20 points.

5. When there are six balls on the table and you pocket two or more balls in one shot, they all stay down and are each worth 1 point. Shoot the remaining balls in rotation, in which each ball is worth 2 points.

6. Ten racks comprise a session. In one session you can score a maximum of 200 points. The score from ten sessions (100 racks) determines your Official Rating. The highest possible Official Rating is a perfect score of 2000 points.

For any other rule information, contact Allen Hopkins Productions at (609)652-6116

Application
To receive your Official Q-Skill Rating Card, send in this completed scorecard along with the following information to:

Allen Hopkins Productions
Q-Skill Rating
PO Box 325
Absecon, NJ 08201

Name:_____________________________________________ ___________________

Address:__________________________________________ ____________________

State:_____________________Zip Code:________________Phone:______________

Table Size Used for this Scorecard:__________________________________

Billiard Club Played At:_______________________________________________ ___

Address:__________________________________________ ____________________

State:_____________________Zip Code:________________Phone:______________

Signature:_____________________________Official Witness:__________________

cheesemouse
05-13-2002, 08:52 AM
Poolfan,
Here ya go:
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nmt.edu/~billiard/qskills_scorecard.html>http://www.nmt.edu/~billiard/qskills_scorecard.html</a>

PoolFan
05-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Thanks alot for the link.

05-13-2002, 11:00 PM
I tried the q skill test today. I scored 349. But I made two mistakes. One time I pocketed 3 balls on the break &amp; scratched. Another time I pocketed 1 ball on the break &amp; scratched. My mistake was both times I spotted the balls instead on leaving them down. But I don't think that made any difference in my score.

Rod
05-13-2002, 11:56 PM
Um Eddie, how did you score 349 when there is only 200 points available? 10 racks at 20 points per rack, maximum.
Just curious, I thought I used creative math!lol I'm kidding with you here, but curious.

05-14-2002, 12:26 AM
Hi Rod.
349 was my total score for the 100 racks I played. Each time I missed I used the counters on the table to keep track. On the left side I counted the total racks played. And on the right side I kept track of my score. After I changed the counters I would rack em again. It seemed more like I was practicing racking then practicing shooting pool.

Rod
05-14-2002, 01:53 AM
Ah, I see Eddie. That makes my back sore thinking about it.
Yes you did get a lot of practice in racking. Well hang in there it will get better. You might want to shoot some drills with just a few balls, then you could play more, and wouldn't need a rack. Then sometime down the road try that QSkill test again to see your improvement.

Ken
05-14-2002, 07:51 AM
You could also play Fargo. It's a lot simpler. Just break, spot any object balls and play with BIH. I can never get the rules for Q-Skill straight.

http://playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/

05-14-2002, 11:09 AM
Hi Eddie, you might enjoy Ball In Hand Equal Offence more as a practice game than the Q-Skill. It's alot of the same idea as far as practice goes. Just break and then take cueball in hand, balls made on the break don't count towards your score. 15 points a rack, 10 racks a session. You have ball in hand after each miss and are allowed three misses, when you can score 130 points you then play with ball in hand two times etc. You can also form the rules to fit your game, ball in hand however many times you feel will make you come close to the 130, then keep on going from there. Good Luck, Terry

05-14-2002, 12:32 PM
Something like ball in hand sounds like I would get more actual practice. And practice is what I really need now. The exact rules I use probably don't make much difference as long as I use the same rules each time. This way I can judge how I'm improving. Maybe I'll spot any balls made on the break. Then I can count every ball I make as 1 point. And each scratch I forfeit any balls made on that shot and spot them and count that as a -1. And I could also count each miss as a -1. Does this sound close to the ball in hand rules.

I didn't quite catch what you meant by counting to 130. 15 points a rack for 10 racks would have a total possible score of 150. And I think that 100 racks was a little too long. I can try playing in sets of 10 racks. And maybe play 50 racks at most instead of 100. Everyone. Thanks for the ideas. This way I will be actually practicing my shooting more. And sometimes it gets more difficult to run a string of balls when there are less left on the table. This part sounds like it could force me to think a little more on improving my position play. And it will probably force me to practice the longer shots more as well. With all 15 balls on the tables I was mostly shooting short or medium length shots.

05-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi Eddie, You can spot the balls you make on the break if you like. The whole idea is that your sinking all/most of the balls on the table, whether you have ball in hand 1 time or 5 times. You can then see your progress as you'll start seeing patterns to run and will need ball in hand less often to sink the 15 balls and reach that 130 points. I don't think you should lose a point for the scratch because your already losing your turn because of the scratch. You only shoot 10 racks ( Not 100 ), Ten racks at a possible 15 points a rack would be 150 points so a score of 130 would mean your sinking alot of balls, it's just a matter of how many times you have ball in hand at first, then you keep reducing the ball in hand requirements. Good Luck, Terry

05-14-2002, 01:22 PM
OK. Then I will also have to count how many times I use the ball in hand to track my improvement. Before I missed the point of ball in hand after each miss. I was planning on shooting from wherever the cue stopped. But these extra ball in hand turns will give me a chance to practice the ball in hand part of the game. We didn't use that when I played in the 60s. And maybe I'll just leave down any balls I make on the break. But I won't subtract anything for them. This way all I have to count each rack is the number of ball in hand times. And after the 3 miss I will count the score and adjust the table scorer for total points, total racks, and total ball in hand times.

05-14-2002, 01:42 PM
Eddie, try shooting 10 racks with ball in hand 3 times and see what your total score of the 10 racks are, determine from there how many times you need ball in hand to score the 130 points. Once you are able to score 130 points, subtract ball in hand by 1 etc. I think scoreing your points on paper allows you to see your progress over a long period of time. Ball in hand allows you to start your run in whichever manner you want, develop balls or shoot that first ball that would be almost impossible to get shape for or whatever, after awhile you'll start seeing the patterns that you like to shoot. Terry

05-14-2002, 02:03 PM
Thanks again Terry. I probably won't be able to score 130 right now. That would be 13 balls per rack with 3 cue balls in hand. But I do think this will get me to start improving faster then how I have been practicing. And I felt when I did that q test that I wasn't getting much practice by shooting only until my first miss. I've been just rolling the balls onto the table and shooting until I pocket them all. Then I roll them all back onto the table.

There was one thing I didn't like about these type of practices. I have to put on my glasses to keep track of the scores. My first 3 times I have practiced with my glasses on. But I have to keep lifting them up on my nose, especially on long shots. Then the next practice session I played without my glasses. I seemed to see well enough. And I didn't have the aggravation of having to stop to adjust my glasses before some shots.