PDA

View Full Version : Practice technique

kenz54
08-20-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks to some suggestions here on keeping focused in practicing, I started using the "9 Ball Q Skill" practice drill. It is a good drill and I am realing enjoying testing myself and trying on every shot. Since it involves cummulative points, you can't get lazy and every shot counts. Good Stuff! Anyone else use this practice drill?

Rod
08-20-2004, 10:55 PM
There is a Q skill for all 15 balls I believe Alan Hopkins come up with. There is also Fargo which I played a fair amount of time during practice sessions. The site play pool (http://playpool.com/) I believe still has it listed in case your interested. I have played various 9 ball games such as you mention but I like the challenge of Fargo much better.

Your right about one thing if your going to score you have to pay attention to every shot. I think there all good for helping you maintain your focus.

Rod

woody_968
08-21-2004, 08:04 AM
I started doing the normal Qskill, the one with 15 balls, good way to practice. I am trying to learn straight pool and like doing the 15 ball drill, it gets me looking for patterns on an open 15 ball rack.

Rod
08-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes it does. Simple as it sounds, run off balls playing position to/for simple little bumps while leaving a back up ball or two if necessary.

GStrong
08-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Another good practice game is "Bowlliards", 10 balls and scored just like bowling. The rules are in the bca rule book.

Stretch
08-21-2004, 08:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> I started doing the normal Qskill, the one with 15 balls, good way to practice. I am trying to learn straight pool and like doing the 15 ball drill, it gets me looking for patterns on an open 15 ball rack. <hr /></blockquote>

What drill are you reffering too Woody? Is it the one where you spread all the balls out evenely but off the rails then make them all without sending the cue ball to a rail? I find that one is great. You not only start seeing the patterns but it really gives your touch and control a good workout. I may be mistaken, but i've heard it said that some pro's will work on this almost exclusively to prepair for matches. Let me tell you it's tuffer than it looks. I like the graduall approach. Start with 3 till your 90% proficiant, then 4 etc. Tell you what Woody, if you can do 15 balls 5 times in a row......you can be my partner in Vegas next May OK? LOL St. ~~sets up his partner~~

kenz54
08-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I will check it out. Thanks Rod!